What's new

Question - Reptile How Good is Reptile?

How good is Reptile?

• Total voters

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Because the recovery on forceball is too much so the days of ending in a forceball and getting in someones face no longer exists. IE if you're Johnny Cage and I end with a FB ender you can actually d4 under the forceball and hit me while I'm trying to Dash or Run in to start said "rush down" Or you can Jump out over it and Reptile and we're back to neutral again. Even with EX slow ball he struggles getting in your face due to its recovery. Its only very strong when cutting a nimble combo short.
Question, say Johnny goes to do his d4 to low profile the ball. Can Reptile just wait for Johnny to low profile it and do a slide and knock him back into the ball for full combo? If you know he is going to low profile under why not punish him for whiffing a move?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Question, say Johnny goes to do his d4 to low profile the ball. Can Reptile just wait for Johnny to low profile it and do a slide and knock him back into the ball for full combo? If you know he is going to low profile under why not punish him for whiffing a move?
Slide doesn't have priority in this game and his d4 stays active almost throughout on top of having solid recovery. Best bet is to do a late jump kick..

I feel his wakeup game is lacking as well, on top of his other weaknesses. EX Claw and EX Slide are the only wakeups that feel consistent, but they're both pretty baitable and punishable on block. EX Elbow gets stuffed way too easily and EX Pounce has a wonky hitbox.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Because the recovery on forceball is too much so the days of ending in a forceball and getting in someones face no longer exists. IE if you're Johnny Cage and I end with a FB ender you can actually d4 under the forceball and hit me while I'm trying to Dash or Run in to start said "rush down" Or you can Jump out over it and Reptile and we're back to neutral again. Even with EX slow ball he struggles getting in your face due to its recovery. Its only very strong when cutting a nimble combo short.
But that just means you have to make reads instead of hur durh rushdown. He has options for everything.

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I'm taking a break from Reptile, personally. Regardless of his tier, I don't find him particularly FUN to play. He's a bit one dimensional and his viable move set feels limited. I'm going back to Mileena for a stretch. She may be lower on the totem pole but I find her infinitely more interesting, and that's what matters in the long run.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
His f21 is an amazing string, and his best meterless launcher is SAFE what more do you want? His b3 is great, so you have to make a read to get damage off it, but 2 b34's are 32% on hit which is great. His launching 50\50 should have an unsafe option, as should all.
I agree it should be unsafe. But I don't think you understand what I am saying. I'm not saying that it's not enough . all I am saying is that he is average compared to the tools other characters have and is mid tier. Not saying his tools are horrid just not as good as the ones other characters have and that is my point. I am not asking for buffs . Just making an observation

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Also IMO!!!!! He is not that fun to use anymore. What made him so fun to use in mk9 was his versatility which was mainly due to his fbs
I sorta agree. Running up and pressing b3,4 and b2 f21, 1+3. Eventually gets old
He'd be more fun if you can use what should work more but everyone can evade those balls

Method

Full Combo Punishable
Yeah, it feels like half of his move list is pure swag with no viable, competitive application.

I've honestly can't even play I've always played reptile and he's not fun to me in this game I can't seem to play cause when I do I lock in reptile.

adamlon1

Noob
Reptile is pretty good but as said plenty of times before he really relies on Meter to get his setups and for his combo filler. But none the less he is a pretty good character but his meta needs to be a bit more developed before we can consider him a massive threat on the likes of Kung Lao and Raiden but I do think his potential is there.

If you don't count MK4, MKDA, and MKA. And even then, Reptile wasn't a powerful zoner in MK9, to be honest.
I've always thought that he is as much a zoning character as jax lol. It's hard to explain, damage off of balls, he could get nice unbreakable, or nice meterless. His projectiles were really good, but didn't rely on it as much as whiff punish and "safe pressure". Now if reptile had the buckets of armour jax had, oh baby lol.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
He has picked up Kung Jin in recent tournaments.

What advantages does the Deceptive variation offer that makes it superior to Noxious?
I wonder if he will continue to play Kung Jin after this patch.

One benefit of Deceptive is that Reptile will take 0% damage on the hit that takes him out of invisibility. Sometimes it can be a big deal like if someone uses an X-Ray, but other times it will be not as effective like if someone starts with a jump in punch.