What's new

How do you optimize your online gaming connection? (PS4)

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I am seriously at my wit's end so please, hear me out...

I had recently moved, bought a new house (yay!) and set up a 50mb/sec download 5mb/sec upload connection through Time Warner. I've had less than favorable service with their provided modems in the past, so I opted to purchase my own, a Motorola Surfboard SB6183. This modem then is plugged in to a Linksys E3000 router that 2 PCs and my PS4 are hardwired to.

Now the first few days, matches ran flawlessly. I was amazed at the improvement to the netcode. However, shortly thereafter, my connection quality started fluctuating wildly. At first, I attributed this to my husband watching Netflix on his tablet (not good obviously) but then I noticed these dips in connection when nothing but the PS4 was running. I'd have a few good matches, then all of a sudden I'm being paired with 2 bar connections, or they show 4 bar with the option for them to decline (so it must be on my end). Or, at worse, matches start stuttering to the point of being in slow motion.

Things I've tried:

- Power cycling the modem and router. Multiple times. Works for about 30 minutes before the dips in connection occur again.

- Ran connection tests. On the PC, my connection test on both connectiontest.net and the one provided by Time Warner themselves tested on average 60mb down and 6 up, above the threshold I'm paying for. Also showed a ping of 20 or less at local servers while 90 or less at servers on the other side of the US. Showed no packet loss and a jitter of 4 or less also. On the PS4 however, connection tests range from 45mb to 10 to 25 to 8 etc, all back to back.

- Port forwarding. Found a guide somewhere on how to do this specifically for PS4. No difference after 30 minutes because of the latest power cycle I performed.

- Took router out of the loop. Hardwired directly to the modem. This SHOULD have had some difference. Like all other times, 30 minutes of good connections, followed by bad and even a few outright disconnects.

- Mass Googled tech sites for anyone with a similar issue. Nothing I hadn't done already.

- Contacted Time Warner. They won't service the modem where I had bought it myself. They offered a replacement (big sales pitch like I'm a herp de derp) and that was about it. I did notice that my modem, which supports 16 downstream channels, was only running on 8. No idea why this is -- I'm guessing maybe 16 isn't supported in my area.

So, I ask at the feet of the humble TYM community, what else is left? What can I do/try to get my connection stable again? Has anyone had similar troubles? There HAS to be something I'm missing. :(