What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn How Do You Land Your F2's?

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
So I'm starting to learn blood god, and it's especially good for him if you can land an f2 combo on someone becasue of it's great damage. Problem is at 18 startup, I haven't been able to land it on people very much. I know a couple of tricks though, right now I bait the opponent to attack then backdash and f2, also when someone's coming at me like a headless chicken I can land it then too. Anyone know some other good ways to land it?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
If you read a backdash you can ji1 F2. The ji1 has mad range and you can follow it up with F2.

Also throw out F2s in the neutral, it's -10 and less than half the cast can punish it.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
If you read a backdash you can ji1 F2. The ji1 has mad range and you can follow it up with F2.

Also throw out F2s in the neutral, it's -10 and less than half the cast can punish it.
Thanks, actually, I used your backdash guess method today with success, it's hard to predict, but with more practice I think I can use it as a regular punish. TBH, I expected more replies here, but I think everyone already gave up on kotal, not alot of activity in this forum as compared with the stronger characters. Not that I dislike this game, I love it, but there's a discrepancy between the top tier characters such as tanya and kung lao etc that is hard to fix without serious buffs to the alternative characters or nerfs to the top tier ones, it's a delicate balancing act, and I'm not sure if NRS can handle it. Regardess, i'm sticking to kotal because i love the character. I did the same in Injustice with harley quinn, I always use the character I love whether they are top tier or not and always over came the gap by working on tech with or without the developers buffs. I guess i'll just have to do it on my own this time ^^ Thanks for your reply @Braindead, I was hoping that this thread would have alot of activity, but no matter, although i'm new to MKX (got it 2 weeks ago) i'll post any tech as and when I find it, if it helps people stick to a character they love such as kotal i'll be happy to post it here:)

REYTHEGREAT

hmm. I TRY no to do F2 very much because is unsafe but i do when the opportunity present itself. You can try b14, special move or that f2b1

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Try not to jump in F2 because if you try to combo in another one it whiffs.

I had a habit of throwing out F1 B2 A LOT, but I since replaced that with F2. you'd be surprised how many people get hit by it.

The safest option seems to be B1 1 xx EX Air Grab into a F2 combo, low frame start up for good punish combos.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
So I'm starting to learn blood god, and it's especially good for him if you can land an f2 combo on someone becasue of it's great damage. Problem is at 18 startup, I haven't been able to land it on people very much. I know a couple of tricks though, right now I bait the opponent to attack then backdash and f2, also when someone's coming at me like a headless chicken I can land it then too. Anyone know some other good ways to land it?
Learn to chain it off a jump in or relegate it to anti-air.

I use F1 B2 in grounded exchanges instead. It lessens the damage, but works better in exchanges.

1. Trip guard players that love to. Njp. For example. Kung Jin players love to start a match with njp to catch people trying to sneak in first hit. Stand outside the range then f2 into full combo.

2. Hard read. It catches back dashes. At some point at like 3/8 screen distance most people will try to run in and start pressure. Catch them running in for a full combo.

3. After a successful jump in. Kotal has crazy good range on jump 1. Lots of characters have weak AA. If your opponent isn't defending properly then jump in all day.

4. Catch your opponent pressing buttons! 114 ex Sun disk for + frames and make the read that their going to poke or jump out of pressure. F2 for full combo

I had a habit of throwing out F1 B2 A LOT, but I since replaced that with F2. you'd be surprised how many people get hit by it.

The safest option seems to be B1 1 xx EX Air Grab into a F2 combo, low frame start up for good punish combos.
Don't chain ji1 f2 f2. Ji1 f2 114ex AA l... Links and does similar damage.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
It works from most distances. If. You're too close after the ji1 or 2 the first f2 will leave you directly under your opponent and you won't be able to do it again.
I just react with a NJP if that happens, then freestyle my combo.

MYZTERY_-ICE

Kotal Kahn will destroy you!
I use ji1 F2 quite often and it works. Ji1 has quite a bit of range and alot of players will stop blocking after the jump in then you can land your F2.

*Kotal Mains Unite*

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Ji1 F2 almost always never chains into another F2 for me, or if it does, i'm so close that my only option is D2

still a pretty solid combo tho its like 29%

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Definitely not your only option. 114 ex AA OR b12 ex aa OR b14 ex AA OR NJP into combo
Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but whenever it happens i'm directly under them, and if i try to NJP I somehow turn around and it whiffs everytime

I'll try your options when i get home

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I come full circle back to kotal after abandoning him for other characters for a while. Kotal is just too much fun. Great suggestions @PetulantWaste i'm using these tips online now with alot of success, the f2 is all about predicting when the opponent is gonna press buttons and react before they even decide to enter in their combo, I learned alot from my time with ninjutsu scorp who has his own f2 with great range.The tip about using a f2 after sun disk is just great, alot of people try to counter while I have frame advantage and if they do block I can follow up with either b122 or b14 right after if they are turtling hard :)

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn

You can ji 1 f2 njp f2 f2 21 mb df1 21 df1 for 39% actually. It's just kinda tricky to get the njp.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
You can ji 1 f2 njp f2 f2 21 mb df1 21 df1 for 39% actually. It's just kinda tricky to get the njp.
Yeah my problem with jump in F2s was that i was doing JI2 instead of JI1, which made it whiff everytime. Now my main combo is JI1, F2, F2, F2, B1, 1 xx EX air grab, B1, 4xx air grab for around 41%

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
For sure. I personally vary between ji 1, 114 ex df1, f1b2, df2 in war god, as his df2 sets you up for a jump in, and my previously mentioned combo. His ji1 is crazy far reaching, however, his standing 1 sometimes doesn't land at max range after the ji1. I also like to use 114 df1 as a jump in because it's +5 on block, much safer online than going for f2