What's new

How do you go about learning all the matchups?

Critical-Limit

Apprentice
I was just curious how everyone tends to tackle the massive amount of knowledge you need to know about all the matchups to your first "main."

I mean do you just play the game and learn as you go? like wait til you run into a set up and figure out a way a round that setup?

Do you try to invent setups, use them to see how others deal with it?

Do you stay in the lab for weeks straight before you give a human a try?

Do you try to cram EVERY MOVE into your memory. and mash what it looks like to it's properties til you know all of them and all possibilities?

I'm just trying to optimize how quickly I can learn a ton of info. And I was curious how you all handle it.

I'm thinking of going so hardcore I'm gonna find out information about characters, record a voice over of my finds, and listen to them while I drive my truck at work.

I also plan to share ALL of my findings no matter how small.

anyways how do you generally tackle these things?

I have a huge feeling My passion for this game IGAU, will be strong enough I'm gonna go hard.

See you at Majors.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Honestly since I don't have the opportunity to make it to tourneys, I just grind it out online. TRIAL AND ERROR! If I come across something that really gives me trouble then I take it to the lab to try and find a solution.

Critical-Limit

Apprentice
I mean, obviously it all comes down to time sync.

But If you manage your time properly. you can learn more, in a shorter amount of time. And if you can learn more in a shorter amount of time. Then you can spread your attention elsewhere.

Maybe flash card myself with frame data. so when I lose get hit. I'll immediately know why.

I also find if you can, Record all of your matches of yourself. And everytime you get hit. ask yourself why that happened. How can you minimize it next time? And think more than just "Oh he hit me low, I should've just guessed low when I blocked."

maybe you could've avoided the entire scenario with better spacing? If you improve spacing maybe you'll make it harder for them to mix you up if they can't get offense started.

ect ect.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I don't know any MU's at all, I just BF2 and pray.

I try to look at a characters frame data, to see if so and so is punishable or slow, etc.
Watch match footage of said character vs my character
Ask people for MU experience

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I also find if you can, Record all of your matches of yourself.
I pretty much record any and everything I do, the only problem is not having the time to go back through all of the content. I have and will have very minimal time to play, so I prefer to play and learn as I go than to spend that time to analyze everything. That's just my situation, though I wish more time could be alloted to improving my game.

crosstalk

Kombatant
I don't know any MU's at all, I just BF2 and pray.

I try to look at a characters frame data, to see if so and so is punishable or slow, etc.
Watch match footage of said character vs my character
Ask people for MU experience
Pretty much this. Knowing what's punishable for a certain character by looking at their frame data definitely helps. Then you can see what your character can use in that situation. Playing the other character definitely helps as well. You can get a feel for their playstyle, movement, ranges, etc. Experience is key however... The more you grind out a MU, the better you'll become at it.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I plan to record and upload if not all, most of my matches from release day. As time passes it'll help me see my strengths, weaknesses and my level of understanding.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I always went about educating myself on frame data. I'd take it one character at a time. When one character gives me a bunch of problems I'll go to their subforum and look at their frame data first of all so I know which moves are punishable. Then I compare it to my frame data to see what they can do to punish me. I look at their combos and see how much damage those characters can do. Then I go into practice mode with THAT character and practice all of their bnb combos. I mainly do this to get me used to that character's animations. The whole time I'm also reading about general strategies with that character via community guides or tom brady's living guide. Then I go online and play with that character for a little bit to get an understanding of how that character works. I practice being able to set up big combos. Then if I'm REALLY wanting to get the character down I browse the boards and watch tourney footage for high level set ups. Then I try to practice them so I know exactly what it looks like. Don't play ranked when you're practicing like this. Just do player matches because you can play the same person over and over again. You won't get any better if you can't practice adjusting or making reads. You need to play the same person for at least a little while to practice that.

Then what I'll do is try to find someone online or offline who plays that character and I play my main against them and try to use everything I now know about that character against them. The more you do this, the better you'll get at absorbing information quickly. It's a tedious process and takes time, but if you really want to know the characters inside and out, that's what you have to do. The best way to learn how to play against a character is to learn that character, in my opinion. You don't have to strive for being the best with that character or anything, but the better you know how to play that character, the better you'll be able to play against them.

WannabePlayer

Apprentice
I was going to say exactly what Chaosphere said. I'm pretty much just starting to use that basic strategy of reading the frame data and getting used to the animations. I should have done it months ago. NEVER TOO LATE THOUGH! :D

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
The best way to learn how to play against a character is to learn that character, in my opinion. You don't have to strive for being the best with that character or anything, but the better you know how to play that character, the better you'll be able to play against them.
Dropping that knowledge, I really like this!

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Having frame data at the beginning of injustice will help a ton. It was hard to know everything about MU's until we had it all. Basically to first understand a match up you have to separate all of the characters traits to figure out what would cause problems for your main. In time people will flesh these things out just like in any other game. Once you get the basic premise then you dig deeper. Figure out what problems are keeping your main back in this MU and figure out ways to deal with them or even eliminate the threat of them. Then you have to learn what each character can take away from your own. Its a ton of trial and error. You just have to slowly piece together what works and what doesnt. It also varies a lot from player to player so you have to have multiple strategies for how to come at each character.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I play everyone.

It started as complete character indecisiveness, but turned out to be my only reliable way of learning.

If I can't fight my opponent, I'll become my opponent and destroy him from the inside.

Critical-Limit

Apprentice
Yeah i use frame data but that doesn't always account for things like jumping out of pressure cuz frame data doesn't tell you the height of a move, or how low a move is, spacing, options.

Not saying frames are bad they are great, but it's not everything you need. I find understanding the concept of footsies and spacing to be really important aspects.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Yep, I just learn as I play. I know/knew nothing about Skarlet but learned playing against Raptor, it's what I do for everything. I don't care about matchup numbers or whatever, I want to go into every match thinking it's 5-5 and that the better player for that day won.

Espio

Kokomo
Mostly just experience, I feel that it's the best teacher for me at least.

I don 't worry about scores or winning, just learning and the experience so I can focus on really grasping match ups and my main(s) options and counters to my options and vice versa.

I do look at frame data as well as match up videos too.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I write matchup guides. It forces me to look at frame data and really think about the matchup in depth.

Best thing is to play it though.

Killzone

Warrior
Injustice will offer you the perfect way to learn tough match ups.
Play online, if someone bodies you with that character, ask him for a little bit time, add him and play online-practice with him to learn the match up.

D

Deleted member 5032

I think the best thing you can do is just fight as many good players as possible, and don't be afraid to lose. If someone is obviously better than you and you're struggling with fighting them, don't get frustrated, just take that as an opportunity to acknowledge a weak spot in your game and start figuring out ways to overcome that character/player's setups. I think that's really the best way to learn the match-ups: gradually and intuitively.

TWOFACE_23

Since the game is brand new the best you can do is use all your characters tools, discuss strategies and theorize with other players that use your character and learn as you go..

Critical-Limit

Apprentice
I think the best thing you can do is just fight as many good players as possible, and don't be afraid to lose. If someone is obviously better than you and you're struggling with fighting them, don't get frustrated, just take that as an opportunity to acknowledge a weak spot in your game and start figuring out ways to overcome that character/player's setups. I think that's really the best way to learn the match-ups: gradually and intuitively.

I find each level of skill important to development.

Low level players = If you have self-esteem issues. Some people need a break to feel like they are good at a game after losing 1,000 in a row lol. Not me I can take 9,000 losses when I'm in "learning mode"

SLIGHTLY less skilled players = good for practicing offensive stuff. (Hard to get offensive stuff going when fighting someone way better than you)

equal skilled players = practice everything at a somewhat comfortable pace

People better than you = Exploits your weaknesses, forces you to deal with pressure, Trains you to think quicker than your executing, Get punished for stuff that doesn't work. Your patterns if you have any also tend to get exploited at a much more rapid pace. forces you to be more random but safe while doing so. and most of all I think fighting someone REALLY good is the best way to level up spacing.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Injustice will offer you the perfect way to learn tough match ups.
Play online, if someone bodies you with that character, ask him for a little bit time, add him and play online-practice with him to learn the match up.
If only more people were down for this. I typically try and send requests out to individuals after getting bodied or a really good match but it seems like some people online take it the wrong way. They'll respond with dumb comments or just ignore you, especially if I win by a slim margin or something, they become salty and start texting as if they had tourette syndrome.

One can only get so much out of a RANKED MATCH, that's why I'm always down for some long sets in a lobby/player matches.