What's new

Question - Lackey How do i not get zoned out

Wetdoba

All too easy...
The start up on charge has projectile immunity. Also dont run just dash. If you have to use EX roll for armor and distance

ThaJyesta

Ferra does the rhyme, all the time
Whenever you're full screen, you have to play smart. Learn their habits. When they start spamming, time the Charge so it eats the projectile and gets you in. MB Charge has ~4 hits of armor, so if all they do is try to keep you out and they've got no other game, use it to blast through their stuff and get the knockdown. Then beat the crap out of them and don't let them send you full screen again. If timing the charge is tough or you have no meter, you'll have to do what everyone else who can't zone does: duck/block, dash in, get the knockdown, take care of business.

Last edited:

Hitoshura

Head Cage
And why the hell does roll not go under projectiles. Like really.
Footsies, my dude. Footsies. Zoners take advantage of space. They control everything your character isn't in so that you have trouble advancing in. Zoners get in your head and make you play their game. You need to turn the tables, make them play your game, make them think you're going to do something and then do something else. It takes practice, good yomi, and patience. In time you will learn.

Last edited:

Audit

Falls down too much
You don't have to be on top of them after the first projectile and you don't have to counter them and get close immediately. That's their game, they want to keep you out and you want to get in. But you can decide when you want to get in, it shouldn't be on their schedule. There's nothing wrong with just blocking a projectile and edging in, or just blocking because they expect you to armor through the first/second projectile. You have at two different moves with three different timings to get quickly (projectile invulnerability charge, armor charge, armored roll) and can jump or run and block your way in as well. That's a lot of options against a zoner that probably only has two projectile timings, regular and ex.

I'd actually like to get a MU chart going on this, like what characters can be punished by a PI Charge and who can't. Like Mileena you can punish her low projectile from more than 3/4s screen on reaction if you catch one with the PI charge, but Sub Zero you can't punish from sweep distance with it and you have to armor charge as he throws it to get in. It would be really good to know this and have a list for the entire cast. I think I know what I'll work on tonight.

Charge has immunity on startup and torr has really fast run speed and long reaching normals. Just gotta use what ya got, bro.

Dont play lackey against gm sub though lol. Fuck that noise

Audit

Falls down too much
Charge has immunity on startup and torr has really fast run speed and long reaching normals. Just gotta use what ya got, bro.

Dont play lackey against gm sub though lol. Fuck that noise
GM SZ probably edges out Lackey a little, but I don't think it's that bad of a matchup. In fact I played a really good one last night and said to myself "SZ really struggles after after this patch".

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Getting in on zoning is pretty universal practice unless you have some special tools for it. Block and walk, block and dash, run and block. If the projectiles are highs, replace 'block' with 'duck'. Pick jumps extremely wisely if at all.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
Goro would like to speak with you.
Key words being " one of ". Jason Goro Ferra Torr all bad run speeds, but I haven't seen any exact speeds so I can't specify positions.

I feel your pain though.

Audit

Falls down too much
Key words being " one of ". Jason Goro Ferra Torr all bad run speeds, but I haven't seen any exact speeds so I can't specify positions.

I feel your pain though.
Nooooo, Goro's run speed is in a class all by itself. Torr is Carl F'ing Lewis compared to Goro. I think Cassie's walk speed is approaching faster than Goro's run speed. Hell, maybe Goro's walk speed is faster than his run speed. :p

edit: After thinking about it I think Punchwalk is actually faster than his run. But I'm at work so I can't test.

Wigy

There it is...
Didn't realise about invulnerablity of charge, cheers.

Problem is his horrible ass running speed and massive floaty jump hitbox.

The charge thing should help though

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
I just run, duck, run punish. His runs not great, but itll still get u across the screen before ur stamina runs out.
And most players dont know tha his charge has 4 hits of superarmour, so after I absorb a projectile theyll fire another one to hit me out of it, only to have that backfire.

Wigy

There it is...
Thanks guys, only matchups that arent fun are GM sub and jaqui. Wish his walkspeed was marginally faster cause getting in on jaqui without meter is fucking hell. U can't charge through her machine gun. Once you get in its alright though as he wakeups are pretty ass. I'm still working on my knockdown game though.

This was totally a case of me needing to level up. thanks for the tips guys, lackey f/t is awesome.