What's new

How do I get better?

I picked up mortal kombat 11 with the hope of investing time in it and getting really good at it, but I really got no clue where to start.
Where should I start and what are the most important subjects to focus on?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
The tutorial is a good place to start in all honesty and then watching some of K&M tutorial videos and.then labbing a character.

ZATA

Noob
Idk, i suck @ this game, in every Mk since 1992 I was a player above the average, now I can´t win, i´m a scrub, my advice is play a lot and learn frame data be patient

use all the options training room has to offer and practice pokewars with ai set to random prerecorded actions. this will give you the biggest improvment boost at the beginning.

The first thing you need to do is learn to block. Go into Practice mode, set the AI to Very Hard and work on blocking their attacks. When you're done that, go into Practice mode, set the AI to Very Hard and work on blocking their attacks because you didn't spend enough time on your blocking practice. If you can get even half decent at blocking, the game instantly becomes ten times easier. Don't work on punishing, counter attacking or anything like that - just get better at blocking.

After that, take a straightforward character like Scorpion and work on a simple combo string. Something like B14 - MB Teleport - F34. Nothing long or flashy, just one string into an amplified special into another string. It is far better for you to lean on using a short and simple combo string which you can hit 80% of the time than a long and complex one that you can only hit 20% of the time. Once you can start doing it consistently, change the starter string and work on switching up high and low attacks into the same special and ender.

If you can get to a half decent level of execution on that stuff, then start searching out the training videos which talk about more advanced concepts and longer combo strings. Until you can do the basics, however, those aren't too much use.

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
learn the character you want to play’s moveset, practice optimal combos, punishes, setups, then lose until you stop losing.

Iconic Horror

Behold The Kingdom Of The Wretched Undying
The tutorial in MK11 still amazes me. It is really in depth about almost everything you wanna know and is probably the best on NRS has done to date. I would take your time and really go through it all and think about what it has to give. Then, it's a matter of taking what it has to give and applying it to your game. Take your time, get comfortable with the game and it's mechanics, look up combo videos and learn how to do them (that is how I started in MKX). Find some friends similar to your skill level so you can get together and get better as a group! There is no better motivation to get better than the incentive of beating up your friends lol.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Go to locals. Make sure you take a shower before and put on deodorant/brush your teeth so people enjoy being around you and socializing with you. Get bodied and ask for feedback (They'll probably give you some anyway). Don't be afraid, there are always jerks in every scene but most of them are just stoked to see someone coming out to support the game for realsies.

MalevolentFix

just not gamestop. I did not have fun there. Everyone smelled awefull and no one was goodsported. swearing 24/7! how were they not kicked out?
That's not a local. That was probably a midnight release tournament full of sweats that are used to only playing online with their buddies and don't know how to be a presentable human being in a competitive setting. And not used to having to keep up with their hygiene from not being around people often.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
That's not a local. That was probably a midnight release tournament full of sweats that are used to only playing online with their buddies and don't know how to be a presentable human being in a competitive setting. And not used to having to keep up with their hygiene from not being around people often.
yeah i guess your right LmAo. it was there last mkx tourney

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
In my experience if you're a fighting game novice whos trying to become competitive its all about experience. Labbing will do you no good if you're not familiar with the feel for the game in general. What good is knowing X move is Z frames and Y move is safe in V situation if you don't even know how to move your character effectively or block.

My advice is to look on these forums and find maybe 2-3 bread and butter strings and techniques for the character you want to use.

Then go online and play a boatload of matches using literally only that very limited tech. Master the hell out of those techniques and just focus on getting a feel for the game and defense. You'll be surprised how many wins a perfect mastery of 2 strings can get you vs players who mash or are attempting to play top 8 Evo level style before they even know how to properly block.

Eventually, one you've completely mastered those base B&B's you can branch out into adding a few more.. And then a few more after that.

After you're completely comfortable in the shoes of your character, then start seeking more knowledge in the form of frame data and things like that.

Becoming competitive at fighting games is a long and slow process, especially if you're brand new.. But the bottom like is that you need to learn to walk before you can run.

MalevolentFix

yeah i guess your right LmAo. it was there last mkx tourney
A local is a weekly get together held at a usual venue, sometimes on a college campus, sometimes rented out space, sometimes at a host's house, where competitively minded individuals get together for a tournament (Usually streamed these days with commentary) and play friendlies on the side to share tech and warm up for matches and just generally goof around.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
A local is a weekly get together held at a usual venue, sometimes on a college campus, sometimes rented out space, sometimes at a host's house, where competitively minded individuals get together for a tournament (Usually streamed these days with commentary) and play friendlies on the side to share tech and warm up for matches and just generally goof around.
I'm gunna have too look for one those sound really fun!
(I know what locals are I just wanted too add that they should not play at a gamestore LmAo)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Check out the tutorial mode, it'll explain a lot. Make sure to read everything. If you still have questions there are a lot of great YT videos on that out there. But the most important is to practice and just play a lot.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Here’s my advice, in order of importance.

Decide how competitive you want to be. Are you trying to just generally improve, or go pro? There are two completely different things, ESPECIALLY online.

Pick 1 character that you like who isn’t too difficult. Sub-zero, scorpion, Sonya, and skarlet are good starters imo

From there, you want to learn the mechanics that you struggle with.

Then I would say learn the ins and outs of your character, especially because the more you learn and apply to your character, the easier it will be to apply that general information to other characters. Frames, mixups, etc

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Here’s my advice, in order of importance.

Decide how competitive you want to be. Are you trying to just generally improve, or go pro? There are two completely different things, ESPECIALLY online.

Pick 1 character that you like who isn’t too difficult. Sub-zero, scorpion, Sonya, and skarlet are good starters imo

From there, you want to learn the mechanics that you struggle with.

Then I would say learn the ins and outs of your character, especially because the more you learn and apply to your character, the easier it will be to apply that general information to other characters. Frames, mixups, etc
Skarlet and jade are fairly easy to! Just too add on

I picked up mortal kombat 11 with the hope of investing time in it and getting really good at it, but I really got no clue where to start.
Understanding the concept of risk vs reward will make you better at any fighting game. Watching footage of good players is also a good way to get better once you understand risk vs reward.

Patience, execution, defense, setups, punishing, etc.

The tutorial is a good place to start though. Most fighting games don’t get that in depth on how to actually play it.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Start small, simplify your game and aim for consistency, layering in different elements as you go.

One example: if you're having trouble getting a full punish off a blocked attack (especially something you should always be punishing like Scorpions teleport), just get a reversal special move out instead of a full string into whatever. Yes, it's less potential damage, and yes you should work towards perfecting your punish combos. But as a stepping stone as you get used to the game, a small punish is better than none at all. Get your confidence up and move from there.

Identify core mechanics you're not using and make a point of layering them in. Hell, take a little notebook and check them off as you do them. Something simple like "I will wakeup roll to escape the corner in a match tonight" can help tremendously if you're not remembering to use that mechanic. So is avoiding bad habits like YOLO teleports or heavily punished moves like Raiden's superman. It's a lot of work, but make a little tick mark anytime you do a bad panic move that gets blocked and punished, and see how many times you just gave up damage at the end of the night.

Most of all, don't sweat it. You're not a pro player, stop comparing yourself to SonicFox or Reo or whoever. Don't expect to go on crazy win streaks or make 3 dimensional chess reads. Play to get a little better by your own standards every time and you'll see real improvement before you know it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

Step 1: Complete the tutorial. The whole thing. Characters as well. It will give you a pretty good picture on who to choose for your main, co main etc.

Step 2: Complete the story mode to get Frost in order to check her as well. Progressing throughout the story mode you ll play with a variety of characters to check them out.

Step 3: Practice mode.

Step 4: Play towers so you can practice your favorite characters in an offline enviroment solo.

Step 5: Play online. Up to this day of the game i really believe the online of MK11 is the BEST experience of online gameplay NRS provided since, well, forever. The online in MK11 is beast imo.

Step 6: If you have an offline scene near your area, attend. You ll lvl up your game style in no time.

Step 7: Keep practicing.