What's new

How do I counter the zoning mileena?

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I tend to play characters without teleports. Sub Zero, Shang and the odd Johnny cage. So I have real trouble with a mileena who decides to use nothing but sais and then use her dive kick at first opportunity when she sees you doing anything to retaliate. Most of the time it is ex divekick so its safe as all the sais build meter and do quite a bit of chip. How do I break that cycle of her using sai, me dash blocking, her going backwards till the corner then doing ex dive kick and going on the other side of me and the cycle continues to the other corner.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Ex dive isn't infinite. Her battery is sai's yes? So you get in there. Dash blocking works. With johnny, you can always ex kick in for easy entry. For everyone else, patience is key. Trade a couple projectiles. With shang if she gets in the air summom a firball above or below. Preferably below if you think she might teleport. Best strat is when your in there stay a littel out of sweep range, so she cannot hit you with lows. She doesnt have a great AA, so you can jump in do a safe string and back out and continue to apply pressure. You should block high for the most part, but if shes close enough, she will lowkick into a ball startup, so be weary of distance.

Pretty much what BattleBear said. Also, Shang outzones Mileena. Ground skulls and Up Skulls both give advantage on block so if Mileena is constantly jumping backwards force her to block the nearest Up skull and then followup with ground skulls to lock her down. Yes she can teleport kick but the safe one takes up meter. So she can only do so many of those.

Also, if you block the sais you help give her more meter. Ducking them once in a while lets them fly harmlessly over you head.

If all else fails, steal her soul and do it back to her...

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
What is up with the annoying long range on her low leg poke? Most tend to use it to get me to block low and then try to do the overhead launcher. And for Sub. I have tried dash blocking but lag makes it very hard not to get hit.

cyke_out

Noob
What is up with the annoying long range on her low leg poke? Most tend to use it to get me to block low and then try to do the overhead launcher. And for Sub. I have tried dash blocking but lag makes it very hard not to get hit.
I read this entire post in Jerry Sienfield's voice.

What is up with ovaltine? the can is round, it should be called roundtine!

And she does has the longest range on her d+4, at the start of the round, it can hit someone and give her first attack easy, it's like free meter.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I played, as noob not sub zero a mileena who EXCLUSIVELY used D+4. It was not even funny, all she did. At one point she did a 34% combo... she had potential but seriously. Most of her attacks were that annoying leg poke thing. I won in the end however as it does poor damage but was annoying and cheap as netherrealm.

AIBOSTON

Don't be mad!
Hmmmm.. I use that D+4 move because it sets up my Mileena rush kombo into her 40% Xray kombo. Its very effective. Usually I just turtle subby and wait for him to ice clone or Do that ice ball move and Dive Kick him as a punish. My hardest characters are lao and Reptile.

You know what's funny, is that Mileena is notorious for her D+4 low poke. And Sonya has the exact same low poke but no one uses hers.... then again no one plays Sonya period. That girl needs more love so she can share in Mileena's hate.

You know what's funny, is that Mileena is notorious for her D+4 low poke. And Sonya has the exact same low poke but no one uses hers.... then again no one plays Sonya period. That girl needs more love so she can share in Mileena's hate.
Funny thing is Sonya can easily punish Mileenas who spam her low pokes to shrink her hit box with a dive kick... and Sonyas is arguably better because she can cancel it into Military Stance.

man that d+4 poke is annoying, Ive yet to figure out how to do anything to her if she does that when you get close. You cant jump in and hit her cus shes so low and its range is crazy so dashing in is out too. Ive literally been beat by a crouch blocker using only that when i get close.

AIBOSTON

Don't be mad!
Pretty much what BattleBear said. Also, Shang outzones Mileena. Ground skulls and Up Skulls both give advantage on block so if Mileena is constantly jumping backwards force her to block the nearest Up skull and then followup with ground skulls to lock her down. Yes she can teleport kick but the safe one takes up meter. So she can only do so many of those.

Also, if you block the sais you help give her more meter. Ducking them once in a while lets them fly harmlessly over you head.

If all else fails, steal her soul and do it back to her...
I would like to fight a Shang Tsung that does that. So far, I've only lost to one. And I was really trying new stuff out without an XRay or ex move. Mostly I take them out cuz when the get in close, they figure I will low poke. So they jump over and I Telekick them every time.

gr8one06

STB Black Belt
This may be helpful. This was performed online by two members of the clan I'm in, during online an online match. The Sai toss is her delayed Sai toss, and not the immediate one however. I was told by these two guys (Johnbee24 and Premonitionist) that when Mileena tosses her Sais immediately, you can actually duck them and then stand and perform the same punishment before she hits the ground.

- gr8one06, STB