What's new

Hori FC4 or PDP Fightpad?

Sami

Noob
The DS4 is pretty much a perfect controller, no reason to go through the hassle of buying old gamepads and converters imo
Did Sony ever add a wired mode to the pad? Last time I checked it still worked wirelessly even when plugged in to a PS4, i.e. all the cable did was charge it.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I really want a wired DS4. Sony needs to get on that. Fighting game fans will make it worth their time.

But you can't get much better than the DS2. That pad will always be my love, though I am finally content to replace it something else. The DS4 really is perfect for my hands, only gripe I have is the battery life.

As for the OP or anyone else concerned, you won't regret going with the Hori pads. No experience with the PDP pad. But I wouldn't be too optimistic about it

C-Sword

Noob
I got the PDP Pad today, played with it for GG Xrd and MK9 for 2 hours.

Here are my early impressions:

Most of you have probably heard by now, the pad is very light, I don't have problem with that though, cause it fits well enough in my hands.

D-Pad is great, it's not too loose, you can move it around pretty easily and it's not made of material that will give you blisters.

It seems like you really have to press those micro-switch buttons all the way down for the inputs to register, it will take some adjusting.

I wasn't used to the empty space underneath the shoulder buttons at first, I'd press that instead of the actual buttons, the problem started going away after more practice, there's a pro to this, you can rest your index fingers on the empty space instead of having them in the air all the time, because you don't want to press the buttons accidentally.

You pretty much have to use your nail to press the Share and Option buttons, they're very small and have little space between them.

So far, I'm satisfied with the Pad. In fact, I just unplugged my PS2 to PS4 adapter and Sega Playstation Pad to give this thing more uses.

Last edited:
I got the PDP Pad today, played with it for GG Xrd and MK9 for 2 hours.

Here are my early impressions:

Most of you have probably heard by now, the pad is very light, I don't have problem with that though, cause it fits well enough in my hands.

D-Pad is great, it's not too loose, you can move it around pretty easily and it's not made of material that will give you blisters.

It seems like you really have to press those micro-switch buttons all the way down for the inputs to register, it will take some adjusting.

I wasn't used to the empty space underneath the shoulder buttons at first, I'd press that instead of the actual buttons, the problem started going away after more practice, there's a pro to this, you can rest your index fingers on the empty space instead of having them in the air all the time, because you don't want to press the buttons accidentally.

You pretty much have to use your nail to press the Share and Option buttons, they're very small and have little space between them.

So far, I'm satisfied with the Pad. In fact, I just unplugged my PS2 to PS4 adapter and Sega Playstation Pad to give this thing more uses.
Thanks for the quick review, I know it's too early to tell but is the durability of the dpad holding up so far?

I had a seperate question about the dualshock 2's triggers, finding the xtokki great, but the triggers quite stiff, will working them in help alleviate that? I understand that's as expected as the triggers are analog.

C-Sword

Noob
Thanks for the quick review, I know it's too early to tell but is the durability of the dpad holding up so far?

I had a seperate question about the dualshock 2's triggers, finding the xtokki great, but the triggers quite stiff, will working them in help alleviate that? I understand that's as expected as the triggers are analog.
The d-pad on the PDP Pad is great, but the shoulder buttons seem to have a dead zone, my enhanced attacks don't come out at times, the HFC4 is much better for MKX, shoulder buttons are more responsive.

I'm planning to use HFC4 for MKX and the PDP Pad for GG Xrd.

As for the DualShock 2, I never had troubles with the shoulder buttons, I think you just need to get used to them.

The d-pad on the PDP Pad is great, but the shoulder buttons seem to have a dead zone, my enhanced attacks don't come out at times, the HFC4 is much better for MKX, shoulder buttons are more responsive.

I'm planning to use HFC4 for MKX and the PDP Pad for GG Xrd.

As for the DualShock 2, I never had troubles with the shoulder buttons, I think you just need to get used to them.
Seems like I have to crush the l2/r2 triggers otherwise they drop input.

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
The Hori FC4 is looking pretty bad ass these days...makes me wonder how many people will return/trade their PDP MKX fightpads for one.

The pdp has not been kind to me at all. First I must mention that I am a very unlucky person and this kind of stuff is not uncommon in my life. I ordered the pad for ps4 and one xbox as well so I could have some consistency. The xbox one was delayed until the day after release, while I got the ps version a few days before. Before I even got to use it for mkx the x button started to not register about half the time, even though I could hear the micro switch. I used the xbox controller for not even a day and the A button turned into something like a burst fire. Lol It would register 3 to 4 presses for every one. Like I said, I would not be surprised if this is an isolated incident. However, I am curious if it is just me.

Dahak

Noob
I've been reading reviews on the fc4 and it seems the d-pad will become permanently loose because of the adjustable d-pad.All these pads seems to really be garbage and not worth investing in.

I have both pads and I would not recommend the pdp pad. The d-pad on the pdp is pretty solid but it seems they use the same cheap microswitches as the previous gen fight pad. The problem with those microswitches is they break down in 2-3 weeks. Judging by the Amazon reviews, it looks like I was right.

For now, I am using the FC4 and it seems like it is holding up just fine. I know about the d-pad problem with the FC4 but it is the best ps4 pad right now. I don't know if Mad Catz will make a better pad since their last few fight pads all have similar defects (d-pad breaks down, d-pad dead zone in a month of use).

I have problems with my pdp fightpad while using it on my pc. I have it in xbox 360 mode and windows installed drivers automatically and it works just fine, all four lights on the pad start blinking after about one hour after the pad has been plugged it. The blinking doesn't stop until I unplug and plug in again, but it starts again after some time. This is driving me nuts, I've tried plugging it into usb 3.0 and 2.0 and multiple different ports, but it desn't change anything. Is anyone here using this pad on pc and has a similar problem?? I don't believe it should be driver related as windows installed the drivers right away and pad works fine, just this blinking is driving me crazy!