What's new

Question - Shinnok his b3 and its block stun; is it unique?

STB Damashi

SmallBurntEarths
This would be more of a general question than Shinnok specific but I still wonder if the block-stun properties of his B3 (OH) apply to other characters?

So as some people may know, his B3 is -11 if it an opponent blocks it at the closest range possible because it hits on the first active frame; however, if one tries to hit the opponent with a meaty B3 by hitting the opponent from a distance it would be -8, have pushback, and be that more difficult to punish. Do other characters have this as well? Shinnok's block-advantage ranges from -11 to -8 on this specific move, but I was just wondering if there are other characters that this may apply to and make much of a difference

STB Damashi

SmallBurntEarths
Aren't meaty attacks always more +? I know BRC's fart is usually +1, but can be substantially more plus when done meaty after a knockdown.
They are but I'm just wondering if there are any moves who receive such a significant change in frame data like Shinnok. A move is -11 close range and a lot of characters can punish him. When it is -8 at a distance not even a reversal roll by Mileena could punish

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
This would be more of a general question than Shinnok specific but I still wonder if the block-stun properties of his B3 (OH) apply to other characters?

So as some people may know, his B3 is -11 if it an opponent blocks it at the closest range possible because it hits on the first active frame; however, if one tries to hit the opponent with a meaty B3 by hitting the opponent from a distance it would be -8, have pushback, and be that more difficult to punish. Do other characters have this as well? Shinnok's block-advantage ranges from -11 to -8 on this specific move, but I was just wondering if there are other characters that this may apply to and make much of a difference
The more active frames a move has, the bigger the advantage can become.
Moves that can make use of many active frames are
1.advancing
2.vertical (shinnok case)
3.or just meaty (best case)

It's normal

Say a move has 10 startup frames, 5 active frames, 10 recovery frames, and causes blockstun of 10 frames. If you hit on frame 11(the first active frame) you have to wait the 4 other active frames plus your recovery frames so 14 frames. The opponent enters blockstun on frame 11 and recovers in 10 frames this leaves you minus 4. 14 recovery vs 10. If you hit on frame 15( the last active frame) your opponents blockstun starts later so you'd both have 10 frames of recovery and you'd be +/- 0.

The easiest way to set this up is on someone's wake up by timing it so the later active frames are the ones that hit. Or you can just properly space long range moves(either horizontally or vertically).

Apologies if this is wrong but this is how I was taught it.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Depends on how the move's blockstun works and the active frames. Like Lackey's Boulder Roll is -10 if blocked on the first active frame, but it has 16 active frames so if you manage to get your opponent on a later active frame (like landing it meaty or from a distance), it can be much safer or even slightly plus on block. On the other hand, his Torr Charge has 33 active frames and travels full screen, but it will always be -9 on block no matter how late it's blocked because it has a "canned animation" and the same blockstun is always applied to both players. So try and identify how the move's blockstun works if you want to find setups to make it safer.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Say a move has 10 startup frames, 5 active frames, 10 recovery frames, and causes blockstun of 10 frames. If you hit on frame 11(the first active frame) you have to wait the 4 other active frames plus your recovery frames so 14 frames. The opponent enters blockstun on frame 11 and recovers in 10 frames this leaves you minus 4. 14 recovery vs 10. If you hit on frame 15( the last active frame) your opponents blockstun starts later so you'd both have 10 frames of recovery and you'd be +/- 0.

The easiest way to set this up is on someone's wake up by timing it so the later active frames are the ones that hit. Or you can just properly space long range moves(either horizontally or vertically).

Apologies if this is wrong but this is how I was taught it.
This is correct. Any move with more than 1 active frame is going to have variable block advantage.