What's new

Help with finding my main

I play a ton of characters in mk9, and I have only had the game for a few weeks. I would like to find a main to play and master. I'm probably best with sub-zero, but I don't know how much more I can learn with him. My Characters I like to play are: Kung lao, liu kang, sub-zero, cyber sub-zero, shang tsung, raiden, reptile and sektor. Which should I pick and play with the most? I liked kung lao and liu kang, and I love sub-zero but struggle with cyber sub-zero's combos. Shang tsung is difficult to learn, but I think he is one of the best characters. Raiden feels too basic, and reptiles combos seem to complex, and I don't like sektor, but I am pretty good with him. Any advice?

With sub-zero, you could learn TONS more.(i'm only saying this because you've only had the game a few weeks)
Take and spend about an hour learning the in's and out's of the characters you have listed, and see which shoe fits best.
You don't need a limit on how many characters you can play, I'd say learn about 3 to the point where you comfortable with them.
As far as Cyber Sub-Zero's combo's go...I know your talking about U+4 into slide or bomb...
those combos don't come easy, practice makes perfect.
And for Shang Tsung, if you really like him watch some videos of Alex Valle and DetroitBallin' and you'll learn alot.

The best advice here is to say;
"Learn a character that you absolutely LOVE everything about. Storyline, gameplay, move's, looks, everything."
Best of luck to you man!
~Hound.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I chose my mains based on general badassery.
If you really are having some trouble finding a main in general ask yourself how you wan't to play the game? Do you want to play heavy rushdown constantly staying in your opponents face or would you prefer playing defensively using projectiles to manipulate your opponent forcing them to react to you?(WARNING: Be prepared for hatemail if you choose a zoner)

If you are at a complete loss put some faith in random select and spend some time playing around with your new best pal.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well you mentioned sub zero twice and in the back of your mind you want him but need someone to hit confirm his worth. If you want to be a tournament player people would advise you to play raiden, lao or Reptile. My advise is that you take the character you have the most fun with, even though winning is great if your not getting the rush from playing that character then theres not point in picking them up. Ill give you a list of the advantages of each character you chose

Kung Lao - Rush down is very good and his great zoning and mix up options, has the highest damage output in the game overall - Rush Down

Sub zero - incredible corner control and his ice clone will either control the space your opponent has to move while giving you more footing to react - Strategic Zoner/ Corner Master

Cyber Sub - Has good combos and has unblockable options his rush down if ok but he is his best a mid range - Mid range master/ Combo Zoner

Raiden - Damage out put is decent but his teleport is so good it makes him the overall best character in the game, He can escape ever corner situation and in general he is defensive, you man game with his is to zone out and punish all mistakes and then get some chip damage with his vicinity blast trap - Punisher

Shang Tsung - one of the best zoners in the game, if you know how to play well with anyone then his soul steal will make him THE most versitile charater
all of his best combos is laced with unbreakable damage and only uses one meter - Zoner/ Combo Zoner

Liu kang - he has two spamable combos one that starts low and one that end with an over head. pretty good mix ups but lacks a teleport. His zoning is pretty good if you know how to tiger knee his air fire ball - rush down

Reptile - Very fast due to his dash his damage output is scary and his forball is really good - rush down/ combo rush down

I dont like sektor either

Niflheim

Noob
I'd say pick your main based on everything about the character. Looks, story, moves, etc.
However, since you like playing a lot of people I recommend Shang Tsung. He has soul steal, and all the people you listed seem pretty popular at tournaments(CSZ and Sektor are not as much).
But if you like Sub-Zero the best, then use him. That's my opinion.