What's new

Question - Kenjutsu Help Me understand A Blind Swordsman

So Im hoping someone can clarify this for me, as its had me kind of confused for a while. But with this new buff to Kenshi, I've been told hes one of the best Zoner's in the game. (Then again I play on PC and will probably never get this buff so its whatever) However, I've found that I prefer to play kenjutsu over balanced because I like playing as a swordsman who actually uses his sword in combat, and doesn't get someone else to do it for him (hence why I don't like playing as inferno scorpion either). But from all the time I've spent playing him, Kenjutsu doesn't seem at all like balanced or possessed in terms of zone strength, and it makes me wonder if I'm basically playing the worst version of this character because I'm not good with a variation that has his best traits. Believe me I've been trying to learn how to play Balanced because it is a lot of fun, But a lot of the combos include using run to link parts together and I'm just too big of a scrub to pull that off, so that's not gonna happen.

Anyway what I'm trying to get at is What is Kenjutsu's strength compared to Balanced and Possessed, and what should I be trying to do when playing Kenjutsu, zone control, or rush down.Id love to know cause dat beard and Trench coat are sexy AF.

Kenjutsu is a mixture of the two ironically, well, not really rush down, but it certainly has better inside game. The trouble with Kenjutsu is the fact the combos are hard to pull off unless you are using meter. He certainly has better zoning potential now tele-toss has been increased to full screen distance. Ultimately, Kenjutsu has a better 50/50 game as it has a low and overhead starter whereas balanced only has low or counter poking and crazy zoning potential. If you like decent damage combos that don't require run cancelling, Kenjutsu with meter is fine. If you like zoning, balanced is great now, with these new buffs to tele-flurry.

You really ought to practise run cancel combos with your preferred character though, running is a massive part of MKX (IMO).

Ya, I know I need to practice Run to link combos, And I can see how its important for a lot of characters, Kenshi included. But it does take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory and timing down, Not to mention that Because I have MK X on PC, I still don't have any of these balance changes and probably wont see them for a long time because NRS Just doesn't care about the PC version.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
but he doesnt get anyone else to do it for him, he is using his telekinesis to make a projection of himself to use his sword, that is still him, sure it is a projection of himself but he is making that projection and making the movements to attack you, he is by all means still a swordsman, although i with balanced kenshi had mk9's B2, that was awesome, maybe even mk9 kenshis F22B1. I loved them swaggy sword combos instead of well, punching when you HAVE A SWORD

EDIT: Sorry about this pointless post, i should probably remove it to be honest, i'm sorry i cant really help you on this i specifically main balanced kenshi

Last edited:
Ya, I know I need to practice Run to link combos, And I can see how its important for a lot of characters, Kenshi included. But it does take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory and timing down, Not to mention that Because I have MK X on PC, I still don't have any of these balance changes and probably wont see them for a long time because NRS Just doesn't care about the PC version.
It definitely takes a lot of getting used to, but it really is just time spent in the lab, you will get there eventually.

Prior to the patch, balanced was designed as a zoning heavy variation, that didn't have the frame data to allow you to do it with any success. Post patch you can most certainly zone until your heart is content, but you feel like a bit of a dick for doing it... At least I do. Lol. I'd say, if you like Kenjutsu and making sword combos, use Kenjutsu. If you prefer a keep-away zoning style, use balanced. I can't comment on possessed, not played it much.

Also, if you have the Ronin costume, you are going to want to play the hell out of the Kenjutsu variation with the secondary colour scheme. It looks down right awesome.
:joker:

Last edited:
Ya, Basically I just wanted some clarity on if playing Kenjutsu kenshi, over Balanced Kenshi would be dumb because I know how much everyone loves the balanced variation. And as much as I like the idea of pressuring someone with tele-flurry and spirit drop until they rage quit, I just don't have the skill for run combos yet, And Doing Kenshi's mix up combos is a lot of fun in Kenjutsu. I do need to spend a lot of time practicing, but I think if I'm going to get serious about playing this game I should just shell out 400 bucks for a ps4 and the game cause the PC port being treated like a bastard child from game of thrones isnt really doing it for me.

My advice would be to play Kenjutsu if that's what you enjoy, and when you eventually get patches, the variation choice wont matter as all 3 are viable post patch, and you will already have the combo timing down, which is the biggest struggle with Kenjutsu compared to balanced and possessed.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Balanced run combos are some of the easiest in the game. Actually much easier to do the run combos in balanced than the frame links in kenjutsu.

Last edited: