What's new

Help me pick a new character

Enenra

Go to hell.
Hey, I'm fairly to new participating in TYM, but I've been a forum lurker for quite sometime. You guys know what's up, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a character to me. I'm completely open to someone new (preferably a ninja because thats how I roll). I like Ermac but I've been using him for so many years I want to branch out. Thanks :bigsmile:

EDIT: For anyone interested, I picked Rain and Reptile.

Lol, i just send you a Message if you could help me find a alternate.

You want a ninja? Rushdown or zoning? Mindgames? 50/50's? Give us more information and we'll help you out,

You could also send me a PM.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Lol, i just send you a Message if you could help me find a alternate.

You want a ninja? Rushdown or zoning? Mindgames? 50/50's? Give us more information and we'll help you out,

You could also send me a PM.
Yeah, sorry I went off to go do something. I responded to the PM. Zoning is preferable, mindgames are fine. My big thing is I want a character suggested a few times by different people because he's good, or he's fun, something like that and I'm willing to learn his playstyle even if its 180 degrees from Ermac's. I'm an open book.

Sub Zero has a very good defensive AND offensive game. His combos do so-so damage, but he has basic strings that do 20-30% damage. His ice balls come out fast and freeze enemies for a good amount of time. You get a free combo if you're close, a free slide if not. Trade projectiles with ice ball, always works in your favor. Ice clones help trick enemies and give you a good bit of damage. Slide is very unsafe on block, but great for ending combos with an extra 4 or so percent damage. Random slides should be used vary sparingly. Subby Z is great at controlling the field.

Cyber Sub is just as great as his human counterpart, though in different ways. His ice ball isn't as good as humans, as it has more startup, travels more slowly, and is slightly smaller. That said, it's crucial to his big 30+% combos. He has ice bombs, which are largely useless, but are good for basic pressure on knockdown. He has dive kicks. I hardly use them, but they can be linked after a JF Kick. He has ice parry which is just as good as ice clone, but for different reasons. It doesn't have an area limit, almost as soon as you do the command it starts, and anything but low pokes will get countered by 8% damage. Ice parry is great for countering jump ins, uppercuts, throws, and combo starters. Cyber also has slide. His control game isn't half as good as human Subs, but he has a freaking ridiculous rush down game with great mix-ups starting with the same first hit. 332 is the low mix up. It does 21% with a slide. 34 is the overhead. It can do 26% with a dash <-22 slide after it. Great mix ups.

Will be continued... immediately

you should try Reptile out, or Cyber-Sub. And Nightwolf is really good.

Reptile can Punish all unsafe strings on block. Can zone and Rushdown. Has 50/50's. Nice corner combo's, good midscreen combo's. If you block a teleport move or something similiar you can easily punish it with 32EXFFB32SFB321Slide, or replace the slide with EXSFB and Elbowdash your way in to rushdown your oppenent. recently, like yesterday someone here find out something huge, 32FFB-32FFB-F3 1+2. if your oppenent holds block during the combo, and you end with F3 1+2 you have huge frame advantage. if you want to know more about Reptile, or about the F3 1+2 Advantage, feel free to PM me.

Cyber-Sub can rushdown also, Has a freeze, Bombs, teleport and a slide, overheads/low Easy and high damaging corner combo's, and it's a very fun character to use.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I like the sound of Reptile, he is my number 1 so far. I tried CSZ and he's ok but I don't dig the constant rushdown play. Human Sub Zero definitely intrigues me and I like how he controls most matches despite what your opponent does. He is a freaking pimp. Someone suggested Noob Saibot in a PM. How is he?

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Ninjas:
Scorpion:
Rushdown//Mindfucking
Pros:
-Great mixup
-High damage
-Constant 50/50 guessing game

Cons:
-Takes a lot of time to master
-Very execution heavy
I really like Scorpion, I just can't play him. Even I get mixed by doing his mixup and requires great execution. What I don't really have.

Sub-Zero:
Zoning/Corner Raping
Pros:
-Strong zoning
-Best cornergame
-Easy bnbs

Cons:
-Average-lower than average damage
-Hard to constantly outsmart your opponent
One of the best character against non-teleporters, can almost totally shut down rushing with Clones.

Non-ninjas:
Raiden:
Rushdown/Corner Raping
Pros:
-Relatively high damage
-High mobility with teleport
-Superman is great for wakeup

Cons:
-Combos are a bit hard
-VERY easy to learn bad habits, like constant teleporting
-Relatively slow combo starters except for 121
Cannot be cornered which is a big thing, and the teleport opens up some mixup options. Can punish many projectiles by teleporting on reaction and can punish even KL spin with Superman.

Liu Kang:
Rushdown/Zoning/Mindfucking
Pros:
-Great strings
-Easy to do, but hard to block/avoid mixup
-Generally great at everything

Cons:
-Has a hard time getting in against zoners, even with EX-Flying kick
-Weak wakeup game
Jack of all trades, master of none.

I believe these are some great, capable characters. Mileena is great too, but I don't know if you're into female characters.

Yeah, sorry I went off to go do something. I responded to the PM. Zoning is preferable, mindgames are fine. My big thing is I want a character suggested a few times by different people because he's good, or he's fun, something like that and I'm willing to learn his playstyle even if its 180 degrees from Ermac's. I'm an open book.
Zoning? Human and Cyber Sub are pretty good anti-zoners with good projectiles. They do no damage or chip, but are good for the reasons above.

I can't think of a good zoning ninja besides Ermac, but if you want a zoner, try Kitana or Kabal. I'm new to both characters, so I'll do a basic thing.

Kitana's fans are beasty. They can be chained in combos, an example from part of a combo: air fan, ground fan, enhanced fan. Or: fair fan, ground fan, enhanced fan (hold 1 then dash so that the second fan doesn't go), dash ground fan. She has fairly easy combos that do 35% damage, so she is damaging. She can do an "instant air fan", so that if the enemy goes to jump, he gets hit. If they stand, they get hit. If they duck, it'll go over them. I dunno how to do it, but if you can, do instant air fan then ground air fan. She also has a 39% meterless combo. Timing is very hard though. I go for the easier meterless for 4% less. There's also a combo that does 39% that is inbetween the difficulties, but uses 1 meter. She can use her (in combo) air fan, ground fan, enhanced fans to create some serious distance. The easy version of it does 35%. As far as I can tell, her basic X-ray combo does 40%. You'll mainly want to use meter for enhanced fans and breaker. Feelsgoodman.jpegamous prime.

Kabal has 2 projectiles that can be used back to back. He has a gas blast, a basic projectile, then ground blades, low hitting projectiles. Like Kitana, it's possible to do the fireball instant air. Again, dunno how to do this. Do instant air blast, ground blast, then blades. Good chip damage. Kabal's combos aren't as damaging as Kitana's from what I can tell. That said, they're easier and don't do that much less. He has a basic string that ends with low that can go into his combos. Doing that, I get 26% with my BnB without enhanced, 28% with. My regular BnB does 31% without enhanced, 32% with. His basic X-ray does 40%. His X-ray scaling is incredibly stupid. You'll mainly want to use meter for enhanced dashes (they have 1 hit of armor, are faster, and dashes are used in combos) and breakers.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I'm definitely feeling Scorpion when I play with him, but i don't want to say I main a guessing character (please don't hurt me slips). Sub Zero is chill. See what I did there?

Enenra

Go to hell.
Zoning? Human and Cyber Sub are pretty good anti-zoners with good projectiles. They do no damage or chip, but are good for the reasons above.

I can't think of a good zoning ninja besides Ermac, but if you want a zoner, try Kitana or Kabal. I'm new to both characters, so I'll do a basic thing.

Kitana's fans are beasty. They can be chained in combos, an example from part of a combo: air fan, ground fan, enhanced fan. Or: fair fan, ground fan, enhanced fan (hold 1 then dash so that the second fan doesn't go), dash ground fan. She has fairly easy combos that do 35% damage, so she is damaging. She can do an "instant air fan", so that if the enemy goes to jump, he gets hit. If they stand, they get hit. If they duck, it'll go over them. I dunno how to do it, but if you can, do instant air fan then ground air fan. She also has a 39% meterless combo. Timing is very hard though. I go for the easier meterless for 4% less. There's also a combo that does 39% that is inbetween the difficulties, but uses 1 meter. She can use her (in combo) air fan, ground fan, enhanced fans to create some serious distance. The easy version of it does 35%. As far as I can tell, her basic X-ray combo does 40%. You'll mainly want to use meter for enhanced fans and breaker. Feelsgoodman.jpegamous prime.

Kabal has 2 projectiles that can be used back to back. He has a gas blast, a basic projectile, then ground blades, low hitting projectiles. Like Kitana, it's possible to do the fireball instant air. Again, dunno how to do this. Do instant air blast, ground blast, then blades. Good chip damage. Kabal's combos aren't as damaging as Kitana's from what I can tell. That said, they're easier and don't do that much less. He has a basic string that ends with low that can go into his combos. Doing that, I get 26% with my BnB without enhanced, 28% with. My regular BnB does 31% without enhanced, 32% with. His basic X-ray does 40%. His X-ray scaling is incredibly stupid. You'll mainly want to use meter for enhanced dashes (they have 1 hit of armor, are faster, and dashes are used in combos) and breakers.
Ah poop, double post. Oh well. Isn't Noob heavy zoning? And punisher said Reptile could zone? Do you know about them at all? Reptile is apparently the best ninja match up wise and I might give CSZ another chance. I remember how BA that flip kick he does was.

I like the sound of Reptile, he is my number 1 so far. I tried CSZ and he's ok but I don't dig the constant rushdown play. Human Sub Zero definitely intrigues me and I like how he controls most matches despite what your opponent does. He is a freaking pimp. Someone suggested Noob Saibot in a PM. How is he?
Reptile is good. I tried to learn him, but I didn't have much fun.

Noob is pretty decent. Beasty zoning game. I tried learning him as well, but it's hard as shit to start combos with him. I love combos, so that was a deal breaker. Jelan just taught me an easy style to talk about characters. Also, just a few things I forgot to mention about Sub/Cyber Sub

Cyber Sub:
-Doesn't usually use meter for anything but breakers or X-ray
-Has a 32 or 35% (can't remember) combo off of 33 EX Ice Blast
-Has an easy 45% X-ray combo

Sub Zero:
-Brutal mindfuck with ice balls and clones
-Uber easy 48% X-ray combo
-Very easy 26% meterless BnB.
-Good shoves to corner with combos ending in slide
-Brutal corner game with ice clones

Ah poop, double post. Oh well. Isn't Noob heavy zoning? And punisher said Reptile could zone? Do you know about them at all? Reptile is apparently the best ninja match up wise and I might give CSZ another chance. I remember how BA that flip kick he does was.
Double post? Where?

From what I learned of Reptile in the 3-or-so days I tried him and from fighting him, he has beasty combos and a pretty good zoning game. His balls are easy enough to avoid if you have a pattern you use. His acid spit can be ducked, but is very fast and does decent damage.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Reptile is good. I tried to learn him, but I didn't have much fun.

Noob is pretty decent. Beasty zoning game. I tried learning him as well, but it's hard as shit to start combos with him. I love combos, so that was a deal breaker. Jelan just taught me an easy style to talk about characters. Also, just a few things I forgot to mention about Sub/Cyber Sub

Cyber Sub:
-Doesn't usually use meter for anything but breakers or X-ray
-Has a 32 or 35% (can't remember) combo off of 33 EX Ice Blast
-Has an easy 45% X-ray combo

Sub Zero:
-Brutal mindfuck with ice balls and clones
-Uber easy 48% X-ray combo
-Very easy 26% meterless BnB.
-Good shoves to corner with combos ending in slide
-Brutal corner game with ice clones
I double posted :(. Yeah CSZ is the schizz sometimes but crapping out bombs whe I try to dash 3,3, Ice ball pissed me off. Noob sounds like what he is online, a filthy spammer, and reptile is REALLY peaking my interest. SZ apparent weakness to teleporters makes me wary since so many people have teleports, and smoke/raiden are one of the most common characters online. I do participate in local tourneys though, so I suppose I could just set Sub0 aside for lag free couch action only where I can sweep raiden's tele.

Sub-Zero wins almost all trades, once you've got your oppenent in the corner, DON'T let him go. i've fought a decent Sub-Zero tonight with my reptile and he couldn't do anything. he wins the trades with my Forceballs. and when he knocked me down he placed a clone right infront of me, when i was in the corner i coudn't do shit. all my hope was on my X-Ray wich can go trough projectiles and stuff.

Oh, now on that front, against a Kung Lao today i did my X-Ray and he did low hat, and my X-Ray got whiffed? like what the hell? and it happened before.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Sub-Zero wins almost all trades, once you've got your oppenent in the corner, DON'T let him go. i've fought a decent Sub-Zero tonight with my reptile and he couldn't do anything. he wins the trades with my Forceballs. and when he knocked me down he placed a clone right infront of me, when i was in the corner i coudn't do shit. all my hope was on my X-Ray wich can go trough projectiles and stuff.

Oh, now on that front, against a Kung Lao today i did my X-Ray and he did low hat, and my X-Ray got whiffed? like what the hell? and it happened before.
I thought force ball kept them in the air long enough for Reptile to unfreeze from fullscreen, which is where I'd want to be if I was fighting Subby as Reptile? I'm not really one to talk, as Ermac manhandles Sub Zero like he was a small child.

You want to be from fullscreen against Reptiles? your chance of winning is to bring him to the corner mate, begin from Midscreen and bring him to the corner, there's where it has to happen.

Enenra

Go to hell.
You want to be from fullscreen against Reptiles? your chance of winning is to bring him to the corner mate, begin from Midscreen and bring him to the corner, there's where it has to happen.
No if I was Reptile I'd want to stay away from Sub. As Sub I'd want Reptile in the corner.

I double posted :(. Yeah CSZ is the schizz sometimes but crapping out bombs whe I try to dash 3,3, Ice ball pissed me off. Noob sounds like what he is online, a filthy spammer, and reptile is REALLY peaking my interest. SZ apparent weakness to teleporters makes me wary since so many people have teleports, and smoke/raiden are one of the most common characters online. I do participate in local tourneys though, so I suppose I could just set Sub0 aside for lag free couch action only where I can sweep raiden's tele.
"Crapping out bombs when dash 33." Happens to the best of us, man. What you'll want to do is include a very brief pause after the dash.

"SZ weakness VS teleporters." Not really. When you feel that they might teleport, create an ice clone then do 2 dashes forward to ensure that, if they teleport, they'll freeze.

BTW, main combos with Cyber Sub/Reg Sub

Cyber Sub:
21 xx ice blast, jumpin p, 21 1+2, dash, ->14. Does 35% damage and fairly easy to land.
Variations of this combo (only including parts after the 211+2)
jumpin kick xx dive kick. 32%
dash <- 22 xx slide. Never did this combo, but it might be good
dash <- 23 (or 4, not sure). 32%

34, wait a sec then slide. 21%
34, dash <-22 xx slide. 26%
332, wait a sec then slide. DO NOT CANCEL, SLIDE WILL GO UNDER. 21%
33 xx EX ice blast, jip, 211+2, dash -> 24. 35%.Timing is much more tricky with teh jip, I'd suggest cutting it out for 3% less damage.

21 xx ice blast, jip <- 32 xx X-ray. 45%

Sub Zero:
223 xx slide. 23% without EX, 26% with
222. Last hit is overhead. 14% Teach them to block low then punish
214 xx slide. 26% without EX, 29% with
(jip) 22 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx slide. I almost positive this does 33% with first jip without EX, and 36% with. 30% without first jip without EX and 33% with. 1st jip optional. With 2nd jip you can either dash back then jumpin or jump to other side
jip <-12 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx slide. 36% without EX, 39% with. Very tricky timing with the <-21 xx ice blast. It's best if you make sure to do proper blast input

(jip) 214 xx X-ray. 45% without jip, 48% with.
(jip) <-21 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx X-ray. 49% without jip, 51% with.

Doing all that is not what I meant to do. Oh well.

Enenra

Go to hell.
"Crapping out bombs when dash 33." Happens to the best of us, man. What you'll want to do is include a very brief pause after the dash.

"SZ weakness VS teleporters." Not really. When you feel that they might teleport, create an ice clone then do 2 dashes forward to ensure that, if they teleport, they'll freeze.

BTW, main combos with Cyber Sub/Reg Sub

Cyber Sub:
21 xx ice blast, jumpin p, 21 1+2, dash, ->14. Does 35% damage and fairly easy to land.
Variations of this combo (only including parts after the 211+2)
jumpin kick xx dive kick. 32%
dash <- 22 xx slide. Never did this combo, but it might be good
dash <- 23 (or 4, not sure). 32%

34, wait a sec then slide. 21%
34, dash <-22 xx slide. 26%
332, wait a sec then slide. DO NOT CANCEL, SLIDE WILL GO UNDER. 21%
33 xx EX ice blast, jip, 211+2, dash -> 24. 35%.Timing is much more tricky with teh jip, I'd suggest cutting it out for 3% less damage.

21 xx ice blast, jip <- 32 xx X-ray. 45%

Sub Zero:
223 xx slide. 23% without EX, 26% with
222. Last hit is overhead. 14% Teach them to block low then punish
214 xx slide. 26% without EX, 29% with
(jip) 22 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx slide. I almost positive this does 33% with first jip without EX, and 36% with. 30% without first jip without EX and 33% with. 1st jip optional. With 2nd jip you can either dash back then jumpin or jump to other side
jip <-12 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx slide. 36% without EX, 39% with. Very tricky timing with the <-21 xx ice blast. It's best if you make sure to do proper blast input

(jip) 214 xx X-ray. 45% without jip, 48% with.
(jip) <-21 xx ice blast, jip 214 xx X-ray. 49% without jip, 51% with.

Doing all that is not what I meant to do. Oh well.
I loved that you did all that, you kick ass, thank you dude. Fortunately I had a small fling with CSZ for a couple weeks so it won't be too hard for me. I'm going to play with Reptile and Cyber to see who I choose. Should be fairly sexy. Thanks guys :)

I loved that you did all that, you kick ass, thank you dude. Fortunately I had a small fling with CSZ for a couple weeks so it won't be too hard for me. I'm going to play with Reptile and Cyber to see who I choose. Should be fairly sexy. Thanks guys :)
Thanks man. Those are the main combos to use.