What's new

Help! I have a "side" dependency!

Goldi

Warrior
Ok, so I know I have a preference for the player 1 side. I play offline a good deal - even if I'm only playing with myself.... Wait, no. Not going to derail my own thread just yet lol.

But practice mode sets you there. The ladder sets you there. But when I'm playing with another person, I'm almost always on the player 2 side. I simply can't be bothered with selecting stages, so I'm reasonably content with that arrangement.

The problem is, moving left I drop absolutely everything. This might be a Goldfish only problem, since I play on the hitbox. My ring finger (the stupidest one of them all) is in charge of moving me forward from that position.

So the advice I'm looking for, is do I just start practicing from the player 2 side? Which I have been doing, with rather dismal results. Or find a strategy to take the player 1 side early in the match and continue to practice and expand my game play from there? Rather than spending my time doing my bnbs ad nauseam with the stupid finger?

Please to advice?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Just continue to play practice with yourself and everything should be fine. Honestly though, regardless of what side you start on you will end up on the other at some point. I would just hammer out any execution issues in practice mode with the dummy on the left hand side of the screen.

Espio

Kokomo
Make it a habit to play on both sides in practice mode and arcade ladder till doing inputs becomes second nature on the right/player 2 side.

I had this same issue until I started doing that with gun cancels and such, just practice that in the modes I mentioned, especially if you don't want to be practicing against an actual opponent yet.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I have the same problem with most characters. But yea, I would practice on the p2 side. I myself didn't, I just kept getting the p2 side to the point where I just adapted I guess.

Also: I'm left handed, so it made it waaaay easier. (I'm totally joking, though I am left handed....)

Espio

Kokomo
I have the same problem with most characters. But yea, I would practice on the p2 side. I myself didn't, I just kept getting the p2 side to the point where I just adapted I guess.

Also: I'm left handed, so it made it waaaay easier. (I'm totally joking, though I am left handed....)

Me too lol.

NKZero

Warrior
You better learn to play with yourself effectively because you can bet that when someone comes to play with you they'll know how to do it from both sides...:tonyt

On a serious note, really what everyone above said. Just learn to practice on the other side till you get it right. I only really have that problem in TTT2 though when it comes to backdash cancelling but in MK everything seems to be fine. Practice, practice, practice (if that's what they call it nowadays :rolleyes:).

BTK HYENA

Fuck you; fight me.
Do your combos five times without messing up on each side. That should fix your problem quickly (coming from a fellow hitbox user)

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Go into practice mode and jump to the other side. do whatever you want to do from that side all the way to the corner, press select to reset, and do it again. repeat until there's no difference.

I found practicing different sides to be far easier to get over the hump with a hitbox than on a pad. I used to struggle being on the left side of the screen when using a pad.

Btw I want to play your jade sometime if you play online.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Make it a habit to play on both sides in practice mode and arcade ladder till doing inputs becomes second nature on the right/player 2 side.

I had this same issue until I started doing that with gun cancels and such, just practice that in the modes I mentioned, especially if you don't want to be practicing against an actual opponent yet.
This, do it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Im probably the worst person to give the advice of "just practice" , bc I have the same problem but I never really practice it. Lol

But that's all it is. You gotta get your fingers used to playing from the other side.

Or, ya know, pick Sub Zero. He's easy from both sides. Haha

coolwhip

Warrior
Yeah, I used to struggle to nail something as simple as Kung Lao's jump kick/dive kick on one side (only the dive kick would come out). I wish I knew how I fixed it. It just happened I guess.

McNasty

Moist.
dependency on drugs and sides is bad mmmk. Spend a couple days worth of time perfecting movement via the ring finger.
Edit: also a good idea to switch sides in the middle of a set to make sure you are comfortable without p1 advantage.
Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I just use a dpad for playing not a stick but its probably because holding a controller for me my thumb moves towards the middle much more naturally than it does to move it to the left, so any df2 feels more natural to me doing it from the p1 side. If I'm on the p2 side to do a df2 I'm basically crossing my thumb over the rest of my hand into a direction it doesn't want to go. Same thing with dashes.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I play offline a good deal - even if I'm only playing with myself....
No one even comes CLOSE to Goldfish when it comes to pumping out high quantity of sig-worthy quotes. :p

But when I'm playing with another person, ......
there's another one ;)

The problem is, moving left I drop absolutely everything. This might be a Goldfish only problem, since I play on the hitbox. My ring finger (the stupidest one of them all) is in charge of moving me forward from that position.

So the advice I'm looking for, is do I just start practicing from the player 2 side? Which I have been doing, with rather dismal results. Or find a strategy to take the player 1 side early in the match and continue to practice and expand my game play from there? Rather than spending my time doing my bnbs ad nauseam with the stupid finger?

Please to advice?
K, my turn to do it - You're "top-heavy" (-_-)

Sounds funny, but it's true. If a Body-builder spends all his time in the gym doing his chest, shoulders, arms etc and never spends time working out his legs, he gets top-heavy as a result.

Same concept with Fighting games, and it applies to all of them. Some people are just going to naturally be inclined to be better going from left to right due to the layout. Sticks/Pads/etc are ALWAYS on the left despite people being both left and right-handed. Anyone remember the old Apple/Atari Joysticks that had the buttons on the LEFT side and the stick on the RIGHT? Hated it.

You may be investing some time practicing from the opposite direction, but it is nowhere NEAR the amount of time you spent on P1 side. You just have to keep doing it until it balances out - when i learn a combo, i pick a big stage and do it a few times one way into the corner, jump over them and then go back the other way and keep doing until I am consistent with it from both sides. it sucks sometimes and it can get aggravating, but the LAST thing I would want is to lose a match because i was on the wrong side of the screen. Switch to P2 and adjust to the frame difference as need....just keep plugging away. Eventually your weakness will become your strength.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
when I started using freddy i had the same problem but with getting out far spike :D When I was on the left side I got it all the time but when i was on the p2 side .... well there was a problem . Now i dont feel the difference , practice is the key :) Oh and I changed my controller from xbox to ps2 :) it helped too .

Lulzlou

Kombatant
Ok, so I know I have a preference for the player 1 side. I play offline a good deal - even if I'm only playing with myself.... Wait, no. Not going to derail my own thread just yet lol.

But practice mode sets you there. The ladder sets you there. But when I'm playing with another person, I'm almost always on the player 2 side. I simply can't be bothered with selecting stages, so I'm reasonably content with that arrangement.

Please to advice?
With me having a hitbox I can relate a little bit. It wasn't a big deal for me since I played guitar so my finger was already use to it. I did have problems doing combos from the other side.

What helped me was practicing equally on both sides on training mode (I could give you examples later) and trying to move the match towards the left corner. You have to do this even if it means you constantly lose in casuals. Let me know if you want to play online since I understand your problem with the hitbox. I never touched a stick and only played on pad so it was tough for me for a while.

Relying on bringing your opponent to strictly one side of the map can screw you over. You need to be able to play on all parts of the screen regardless what side.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I need to make a top 5 of unintentional dirty things STB Goldfish says/posts because this isn't the first time Ive noticed this trend lol

Honestly, what everyone else is saying, practice from P2 side until it becomes second nature. I have the same issue with Kenshis far overhead slash .