What's new

Hello.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
Hi guys,

PS3 GT - dingodile_r89
XBL - Can't be arsed to get an XBox.
PS Vita - dingodile_r89, I'll be getting the device in about a month

My GT is obviously inspired by the legendary Crash Bandicoot. Been gaming since the Atari days. Huge fan of Mortal Kombat, been playing almost from the first ever version. I missed the ones after MK4, till MK9 captured my fascination.

I'm from India, so online matchmaking will be shit because of bad latency.

I don't know many of the terms you guys use like "Negative edge, Footsies, Pokes", so if someone could explain those, that would be swell.

Looking forward to making a few friends.

This is a video of me playing MK4 -

Yes, I filmed it with a fucking potato.

Cheers

Hello, Ze Dingo. Welcome to this land of knowledge, construction, with various things such as drama and darkness, named TestYourMight.com!

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Why did I miss this? So many new people with buried intros! Welcome to the site! You play mk9? Who is/are your main(s)? Also are you planning on getting Injustice?

Negative Edge - This one is tough to describe. Basically when you press a button, a punch/kick will come out, right? Well when you release that button, it counts as another input. It will not punch again when you let it go, but it will work if you input a special. I find this especially irritating when I use Kenshi. :D (that was a horrible explanation, someone plz help me ;_; )

Footsies - This basically refers to whatever you do that gives you spacial advantage. (walking backwards so a jump in can be anti aired, getting out of the distance of a poke so you can whiff punish it, etc.)

Pokes- Well...they are usually reserved for your[most effective] ranged normals/command normals. You use pokes to check your opponent and generally keep them from attacking you. They set up your offense and sometimes lead to combos.

I tried, I can't think right now.

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Negative edge happens in several ways. The first and most common way is that you can have multiple incorrect inputs, and your intended move will still come out. Take Cyraxs's net, its inputs are back back 3. You can do back down back, back up back, even back down up back and the net will still happen. This is mostly included in games to make things easier for newer players. The second most common part of negative edge is that button releases count as presses. In MK9 this only applies to special move inputs. Again, using Cyrax's net as an example, if you want to do 3~net (a kick immediately followed by the net, you can press 3 back back release.3 and you will get a net still.

Footsies is very simply explained as spacing. You can use moves, walking, dashing, jumping to achieve different spaces between you.and your opponent. This is important because in some areas of the screen your moves will be more effective than your opponents.

Poking is the use of fast moves to either gain advantage, or stop your opponents pressure. In MK9 there are universal pokes, such as down+1 and down+3, which are usually 6 and 7 frames respectively. They give you the opportunity to continue doing moves when they hit, but The issue with pokes however is that most leave you vulnerable when they are blocked

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Some members above have already explained the definitions of negative edge, footsies, and poking, so I will skip that part. Welcome to the site, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions that come to mind. :)

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
I don't really have a main. Been playing Mortal Kombat 9 for a while. I have the Injustice: GAU demo, I don't know if I will get the full game. There's a launch tournament in my city (Chennai, South India) for Injustice, I have every intention of participating tomorrow (Sunday, screw time differences). Maybe I'll buy Injustice if I win, lol. Will let you guys know how it goes. Stupid prizes, but we're in it for the fun and the lulz.

My most common MK9 characters are Scorpion (Would say Slips is a massive inspiration), SZ (just go with it), Rain (love Rain, I have bits of my own play style, pretty nooby), Smoke (3 B1 2, rinse and repeat), Noob (a very crappy Noob), Ermac (reasonable) , Sektor (No one to learn from, so again, just go with it) and Cyrax. Picking up bits of Sonya, but mostly only against AI. Online, I stick to the Ninjas and the Robots. My character picking is heavily influenced by my days of playing MKT/UMK3, I suppose.

EDIT: Fml, forgot Reptile. My favourite creepy crawly.

Wonderful explanations for NE, Footsies and Pokes. I realized that I noticed all this from playing, but never really had a name for them.

Did anyone like the potato filmed video? :p