What's new

Hello from Texas

cabrat

Noob
So I just signed up for this site and thought I'd say hello. I tend to be more of a lurker, but from time to time I'll have to throw in my two cents.

I'm 34 and been playing since MK1. But I'm not just a Mortal Kombat fan. I'm a fighting game fan, so I try to play as many as I can get my hands on. I don't play on a tournament level as I'm more of a casual player. Thanks to SSF4 and with MvC3 and MK9 on the horizon I'm truly hoping for a resurgence of the genre. I really think it's about time for one.

I can still remember playing MK1 at the arcades and at the local Fiesta mart. Now that was a great place to practice as there was never a line of people waiting to play. It was a well kept secret. Plus it was only 25 cents per game as opposed to 50 cents at the local Tilt.

I loved playing in arcades and really miss it. There are none around here anymore. I think the closest one is in Houston, but that's a lot of gas a driving to get there.

Anyway, I'm rambling on so I'll close up. It's good to meet the community and happy gaming to everyone!

cabrat

Noob
Oh, that's ok. I was just waxing nostalgic. I tried playing MK1 some time back and I just couldn't do it. It played sooooooo slow compared to what I'm used to now. Besides, I really wouldn't be able to give anyone a good match.

But now I'm reminded of something MK1 related and maybe someone here can help me out. A long time ago, I'm thinking this must have been '95 or '96, I went to visit some friends in Austin. Well I played some MK1 in one of the arcades there at the time. But this machine was different. For starters, it wasn't as slow as other machines. I remember I could freeze with Sub-Zero, uppercut, jump kick, and end with the slide all in one combo.

Why was this possible on that machine and not the ones I was used to back in Houston? Just curious. Thanks!

Dark_Rob

Noob
cabrat said:
Oh, that's ok. I was just waxing nostalgic. I tried playing MK1 some time back and I just couldn't do it. It played sooooooo slow compared to what I'm used to now. Besides, I really wouldn't be able to give anyone a good match.

But now I'm reminded of something MK1 related and maybe someone here can help me out. A long time ago, I'm thinking this must have been '95 or '96, I went to visit some friends in Austin. Well I played some MK1 in one of the arcades there at the time. But this machine was different. For starters, it wasn't as slow as other machines. I remember I could freeze with Sub-Zero, uppercut, jump kick, and end with the slide all in one combo.

Why was this possible on that machine and not the ones I was used to back in Houston? Just curious. Thanks!
Im no expert on MK1 but I do know there were a few different revisions of the arcade game. Some of the revisions most likely had different properties. Its possible you were playing a different version of the game than the one you were used to.