What's new

Having to be 2 buttons ahead when doing jump-in punch > string or string > special cancel.

I know this has been a thing since MK9, and carries through IJ series and still in MK11...

But is there an actual reason that when you do a jump in, you need have atleast the 2nd grounded attack inputted before landing for the combo to connect? That and the special cancel window are very unnatural feeling in NRS games. IMO this takes away your ability to decide on what you want to do in real time, if you want to base your moves once grounded on whether your opponent blocked or got hit.

Special cancels pretty much feels the same way. I feel like you can't react on hit or block, because you have to have the special inputted way ahead as well. So it's like you just have to predetermine what you're going to do when you begin your set, regardless of what the opponent may do. You need to commit to doing this string, and this special, when you do your first attack. I also believe you should be able to change the timing of strings, (delay hits) like in Tekken. That's literally how you make some combos work, and in MK9 and on...you can see a lot of juggle whiffs that would hit if they could be delayed. This would also IMO allow you to back people up, or poke even better, a late special cancel...you wouldn't be safe between the normal and the delayed special, and can be hit in the middle, but that delay may cause the person's timing to be off and get hit by the special. Similar to when you do a cr.mk > hadoken in SF...if you do it fast it's a true block string, but you can cancel later...makes it not a true block string and interruptible, but adds utility.

Don't get me wrong, I can play these games just fine, it's that NRS games seems to be the only games that have this unnatural feeling when it comes to these particular mechanics. Now with the decreased amount of attacks in strings for MK11, if someone blocks a first attack, gets hit by the second one...you MAY have a 3rd attack in your string to cancel out of, and determine which special you want to use...with a lot of characters, you're obviously a different special on block compared to hit.

Again, I have no problems playing these games, doing these combos, cancels, or anything else the game calls for. It has just never made sense to me. Because literally no other fighters implements this. Even in UMK3 the jump in > dial a combo doesn't have a weird input timing, and you can delay the hits in the DAC's. Liu Kang's 7 hit is the only DAC where the inputs need to be pressed well before the moves happen, and that's only for the last 3 inputs.

Just some thoughts.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I'm right there with you bro. Playing other fighters like DBFZ, UNIST & even DOA6 feels sooo different compared to NRS way of canceling strings and normals and I have to readjust each NRS game lol