What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Hat Trick Hat Trick Kung Lao Matchup Thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, i believe its time to start discussing this in specific, so we can have an idea of where Hat Trick really stands, i didn't had the opportunity to grind all the MU with the entire cast yet, so hopefully i can count on your feedback on MUs that i didn't explored either, i want to see yours charts as well.

Just want to let you know, teleport characters, or characters with good mobility is very bad for hat trick, having the hat out there can't solve if they play run away tactics, since he can't convert damage unless he places the opponent in between him and the hat, the variation will be pretty bad on those specifics MU.

However against rushdown chars is where it works better, something Tempest already does anyway.

Without further ado, this is my current MU Chart for Hat Trick, with MUs i grinded mostly only, no speculation numbers.

4-6 vs Kung Lao
4-6 vs Buzzsaw
4-6 vs Tempest
5-5 vs Hat Trick

5-5 vs Sonya
5-5 vs Covert-ops
5-5 vs Demolition
??? vs Special Forces

4-6 vs Rayden
4-6 vs Thundergod
4-6 vs Displacer
???vs Master of Storms

6-4 vs Sub-Zero
6-4 vs Granmaster
6-4 vs Unbreakable
5-5 vs Cryomancer

4-6 vs Takeda
4-6 vs Shirai Ryu
4-6 vs Ronin
??? vs Lasher

5-5 vs Kotal Kahn
6-4 vs Sun God
5-5 vs War God
4-6 vs Blood God

4-6 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Royal Storm
4-6 vs Assassin
??? vs Mournful

5-5 vs Erron Black
4-6 vs Outlaw
5-5 vs Marksman
??? vs Gun Slinger

5-5 vs Shinnok
??? vs Impostor
4-6 vs Boneshaper
5-5 vs necromancer

4-6 vs Scorpion
4-6 vs Ninjutsu
4-6 vs Hellfire
4-6 vs Inferno

5-5 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Noxious
5-5 vs Nimble
5-5 vs Deceptive

4-6 vs Cassie
5-5 vs Brawler
4-6 vs Hollywood
4-6 vs spec-ops

5-5 vs Johnny Cage
6-4 vs fisticufs
5-5 vs Stunt Double
4-6 vs A-list

4-6 Ermac
5-5 vs Mystic
4-6 vs Master of Souls
??? vs spectre

5-5 vs Jacqui
6-4 vs Shotgun
5-5 vs Full-auto
??? vs high Tech

Matchups yet to explore
D'vorah
Quan
Predator
Tanya
Jason
Goro
Liu
F/T
Kung Jin
Jax
Tremor

Discuss?

@I GOT HANDS
@The PantyChrist
@ETC Mcfly
@Big Pampering
@just_2swift
@A F0xy Grampa

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Props for giving us the win vs Sub. I too found it is definitely our BEST match up.

I really don't think we go 5/5 on mystic just on account of that character having fucking NOTHING and we gott a little bit of dirt

Not a bad match up lid lol contribute more when I wake u

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I just play hat trick for fun. I know how to play all variations, but hattrick I pretty much play as non variation kl + ex hat callback in the corner. So I cant say much about any matchups.
That is the true issue with hat traps, some characters can just render it useless, so you end up playing variationless because of that

That is the true issue with hat traps, some characters can just render it useless, so you end up playing variationless because of that
Its a nice concept and all, but the traps wont have that much use in high level play. That is because they dont actually function as traps. I only setup a raw hat trap in the corner after a 21 knockdown. From there you have the ex hat callback pressure or normal hat callback and make them respect ex spin.

And sometimes I throw it out midscreen and call it back immediately to build meter or catch people running.

Besides that I use hat trap after 112124 and b22 in the corner.

And then you have ex hat throw which is nice for getting in sometimes.

That is literally all there is to the variation imo.

Can you really ask for more though? We have a variation that is top tier and another variation that is almost top 10 and hat trick isnt even bottom shit tier.

I GOT HANDS

Its a nice concept and all, but the traps wont have that much use in high level play. That is because they dont actually function as traps. I only setup a raw hat trap in the corner after a 21 knockdown. From there you have the ex hat callback pressure or normal hat callback and make them respect ex spin.

And sometimes I throw it out midscreen and call it back immediately to build meter or catch people running.

Besides that I use hat trap after 112124 and b22 in the corner.

And then you have ex hat throw which is nice for getting in sometimes.

That is literally all there is to the variation imo.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Also after 21 knockdown midscreen or anytime my opponent is a bit back, I often use it to build meter.

Hunter has real traps.

Even Master of Storms seems to have more interesting traps on paper, although I don't have much knowledge there, and I preferred Lao as a character as my main opponent mains Thunder God and I didn't want to just pick up a weaker version. However, he's now made the switch to Tempest, and it's an uphill battle - Tempest just does everything better aside from the low hat corner mix-up with 44, which I'm feeling is a pretty big gimmick since the set-up requires a point blank 21 ender on something, and then starts with a high. Unfortunately it's one of the best corner options he has still.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can you really ask for more though? We have a variation that is top tier and another variation that is almost top 10 and hat trick isnt even bottom shit tier.
The point is not buffing hat trick to be top tier, i could care less to who plays tempest of buzzsaw, i just wish Hat traps to function as traps and give him the advantage he currently doesn't have, he sacrifices much having that hat out, to go away with one hit, that's mostly because once someone runs away from Lao or the hat itself, the trap use gets nullified and Lao needs to call the hat back to set up again while the opponent is just running or risking to blow up set up.

Still, i believe that if he gets able to link string with string by canceling into HCB , he will have the screen control he currently doesn't have the traps he doesn't have, and become far more interesting, sure it might buff him some places on the tier list, but i don't think he will be S tier.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Am I the only one that has a harder time against hat trick , but no problem against tempest? I play all 3 variations of sub and a lot of no ariation sub

I GOT HANDS

Hat Trick is going to have an easier time vs GM Sub than Tempest does. The other two I'm not sure how, maybe you just need to get more familiar