What's new

Breakthrough - Hat Trick Hat Magik - Crazy Hat Setups pulled off in actual matches plus more

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well guys here it is, i've been saving a lot of my matches for it, hope it doesn't disappoint:

On the first segment, i show the idea i was discussing with I Got Hands and Youphemism about a month ago, i've been finding ways of overcoming the weakness of the setup, so the first segment is about the away hat trap, either they block, wakeup, uppercurt, jump back or try to get out of it, it all goes as how you read your opponent and what hat to set up, a low hat trap or just a bluff with away trap and work from there.

At the beginning it felt difficult but as i'm getting the hang of it, i got awareness of what is going on, which leads to the second segment, where i managed to understand more about the Hat physics in sync with the opponents behavior depending or range and what to do to counter against someone trying to charge against a hat trap, jump away or towards you, or try to getting out of the corner by jumping or teleporting, all this at his own time will have counters if you watch the second segment closely. Some cray shits overthere for sure.

Once again regular hat trap proved to be far superior than above hat which still feels useless.

The final segment is just more of Hat trick, neutral game and some more, hope you guys enjoy it.

The credits segment has shootouts and more hat trick, also there is 4 easter eggs in the video, i intentionally hid 4 messages within the video, just for fun, look if you can, if you find all 4 post a pic on this thread, some are funny.

This variation is indeed unique, fun and has a room for a lot of creativity, i feel like i'm just scratching the surface, the nexts months might be good depending of how he turns out to be in the final version

@ETC Mcfly
@I GOT HANDS
@Youphemism
@SaltShaker
@WidowPuppy
@Protagonist_1
@Bird Lao X
@A F0xy Grampa
@Big Pampering
@BLOOD CAPTAIN X
@Just2Swift
@The PantyChrist
@GLoRToR
@Hollywood DMS
@1man3letters

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
JINGU BEANS! Pretty sick set ups there Eddy. And some sweet conversions, that jump back 2 to Hat anti air combo was dope. Looks like the hat provides some serious pressure, especially in the corner. And the mental fear of not knowing when you're gonna do it is enough to mind fuck your opponent. I'd be afraid to push a button, lol.

Props for being one of the few if not the only one to explore/main this variation. TI JOSE!

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Eddy makes this look easy, but as a Hat Trick main I just want to be clear, there is no two ways about it... his fundamentals are freaking insane. He makes that Hat Trap look like the best projectile in the game, it's awesome watching him play it's just a natural extension of his character lol. @Eddy Wang do you think you could ever go back to a standard run-and-gun character on any fighting game ever after this? lol

Just for anyone less familiar with this variation (I mean it's not exactly super common), if Eddy even gets POKED while the Hat is inbound it disappears mid flight, it's not like a regular projectile. It's also super hard to convert off from outside of blast range, the long range converts and smooth anti-air converts he pulls off here is maybe the most impressive thing about this video to me

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Thanks Eddy! I've been waiting for this for a while now :)

A few things:
4:48 29% 2 bars hahahahaha that scaling is unreal
You need to incorporate the optimal corner combo! D4~callback after B22~hat trap instead of 11~callback, that gives you the chance to B321~spin JK~DK, 21 for 33% instead of 26ish which you did :p
I LOVE the way you use callback as an anti-air #Kreygasm Although people shouldn't be jumping at Kung Lao much anyway haha
Cheers for the shoutout!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang do you think you could ever go back to a standard run-and-gun character on any fighting game ever after this? lol
Not sure, ex hat is so good and has a lot of applications itself, so i dunno, maybe not.
Yeah, bring back some memories, but those yells are not the easter eggs.
Definitely gonna use some of these. Gave me some ideas for mid screen shit too. You never showed the good ole hat toss, wait for movement, xray
I hardly found myself in situations to use X-ray, i use a lot of meter with hat trick when i'm able to build it fast as well.
Thanks Eddy! I've been waiting for this for a while now :)

A few things:
4:48 29% 2 bars hahahahaha that scaling is unreal
You need to incorporate the optimal corner combo! D4~callback after B22~hat trap instead of 11~callback, that gives you the chance to B321~spin JK~DK, 21 for 33% instead of 26ish which you did :p
I LOVE the way you use callback as an anti-air #Kreygasm Although people shouldn't be jumping at Kung Lao much anyway haha
Cheers for the shoutout!
Yeah, ex Hat toss scales the more u use it, i have one with 3 bars that does 27% hahah.

Yes that too, i need to lose the habit of doing 11 HCB, D4~HCB is far better:p

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Amazing. When I saw Hattrick at first time I though that he Will has potential. I didnt like bazsaw, tempest seemed OP but hat trick is a perfect set. Good work Eddy. Am all over Tanya now but soon I might fallow.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Amazing. When I saw Hattrick at first time I though that he Will has potential. I didnt like bazsaw, tempest seemed OP but hat trick is a perfect set. Good work Eddy. Am all over Tanya now but soon I might fallow.
Actually Lao has the same gameplan Skarlet had in MK, specially in Hat Trick, they both don't have a low starter, but have a pressure game that forces crouch blocking in many cases due the D4~Hat Trap which grants a free pressure upclose i

F2 is just like Skarlet's F4, but instead of 13f is 11f startup and also is -1 and not -19 on block, the other difference is that F2 hits mid although it can be low profiled easily, Skarlet's F4 was a mid that could also be low profiled but was a high crushing move.

Skarlet had F43 that was neutral, Lao Has F21 that is -8, but there is an other option which is F21d1 which is even more punishable on block, but just as Skarlet would cancel F4 into Red Dash to slide or empty dash for a mixup game, Lao has, F21~Hat Trap and F2~hat trap, which has faster recovery than the previous setup.

Both characters can build massive metter with chip, Skarlet could do with F212,1+2~ex dagger cancel repeat until she runs out of meter, Tempest can do 112124~ex hat spin until he rans out of meter, Buzzsaw has a similar setup with ex low hat but i'm not sure how fast he can loop a blockstring, but the one who retained the Skarlet chip mixups proprieties is Hat Trick.

As Skarlet would cancel the F212,1+2 into ex dagger or red dash for the overhead, chip mixup, Hat Trick, has ex Hat call back after a chip pressure which leaves him at +13, enough to loop another string into hat trap again, or in case they try to block low, he can open then up with B2~spin or his variants

Think of Hat Trick as Skarlet with a twist, same neutral, closely the same 50-50 game, with some good changes.

The changes are, if the opponent is looking to block the 50-50, you get to setup your hat for free into a free pressure with D4~Hat Trap into chip, if they try to block a hat setup, you can land B2 ex hat for a combo, or B2~ Hat Trap or B22~Hat Trap which is safe.

Just as Skarlet would setup a free 114 string, by tricking opponent into respect a empty dash since the downslash could be used at the last possible frame, and the slide was a safe option, so if they stand to block the overhead, we would punish with a blockstring, and if they decided to contiue to block low to avoid the chip, it would let themselves open for the overhead.

One of the things i like in hat trick, is that the overhead low mixup changes when he is hatless, for example, if you place a low hat trap, your overhead starter is just a real unscaled damaging knockdown, but you have a safe low starter with the Hat Call back, so they are forced to block either one.

And is just Hat Trick, now imagine the room of creativity with the hat traps in game.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
@Eddy Wang That is exactly what I saw while watching at your video friend. I saw Skarlet with KL render on. Before I start I have one question. Is it all possible to input on the DS4 pad or I need here a Arcade stick ?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Eddy Wang That is exactly what I saw while watching at your video friend. I saw Skarlet with KL render on. Before I start I have one question. Is it all possible to input on the DS4 pad or I need here a Arcade stick ?
I play on stick just for preference, its been a while now that i play any fighting game on stick, but @A F0xy Grampa plays very well with a D-pad.

Also the must have main tool is 11212, its challenging to some to master, but lao gets the most out of his punishes with this string in any variation since is 8f startup, and he builds a very good amount of meter from 5 to 6 hits, 7 with hat call back. Kinda Ironic because Skarlet blockstring tool was F212,1+2 was also a mandatory to learn lol, while Skarlet tough part was the cancel to get that 2 frames window to jail, lao has about 3 frames window to plink 212 after pressing 11, if he is slower than that only 11 comes out.