What's new

General/Other Green Lantern Playstyle Speculation

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Alright ladies and gentlemen.

I know that Green Lantern's game play debut was hit and miss for some people, but I for one LOVED his showing.

However, he has a variety of different moves that are leaving me purely pureplexed about his playstle.

For starters, Hal for sure has a sick anti air. His AA attack with the ring has an amazing hitbox and it looks like it can be easily used within combos (see my sig).

His normals look insanely fast and he has a fast low starter which seemed to make me feel like he would have decent rushdown potential...but then I noticed his specials.

AA Attack - Great diagonal control. Looks to be a better aa version of ermacs lift.

The Gatling gun. This thing goes on for ages (It may have been EX) but it has excellent horizontal space control

The Ram - Once again, excellent horizontal space control as it goes full screen. Green Lantern rides the EX version.

Aerial Missile - Once again a horizontal but more downward trajectory facing projectile (overhead?)

Ring projectile - Judging by the gameplay footage, EX Version can combo (pop up)

With all of his horizontal controlling tools I am wondering if NRS is designing him to be the Noob Saibot of Injustice, but with more rushdown options. I supposed we will have to wait until the safety of his moves can be determined, but it looks like ol lantern will be keeping people out as opposed to getting in.

What do you guys think his playstyle will consist of?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Is the ram an EN version of another move? It looks like he fires off the ram at some point without riding it.

Maybe the riding version is the normal version? IDK

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Lets wait till he loses so they'll showcase more of his moveset.
His super was so........ hilarious
"Let me hit you with THESE...... oh ..... how about THIS........ you want more.... take THIS!!!!" lol.

BGMD

Noob
In the Red Son dev diary around 1:00 there is a brick wall construct that isn't part of his throw, it looks to me like a tool GL could put behind his opponent to limit his mobility or put fake corner on the screen (depends on cooldown, in vid lasts at least 4 seconds)... any thoughts?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Nice find! I am really excited for the next Battle Arena now. I will Gif it and add it to the main post as soon as I get my driver situation sorted out (about 15 mins)

It will be interesting if he can put the wall in front of opponents. Almost like subzero's clone. Makes his AA even more deadly if they are forced to either respect it and take a projectile or jump and eat his AA.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
That'd be sick if GL could create the corner midscreen and do corner specific combos or setups using it.

GGA Max

Actually for the barrel move. You can see at 1:05 in the Grundy fight the EX flash, so it seems that normally, he'll hold it and charge you (2:11), and EX he throws it at you.

PS: Great to be with fellow GL players.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
In the Red Son dev diary around 1:00 there is a brick wall construct that isn't part of his throw, it looks to me like a tool GL could put behind his opponent to limit his mobility or put fake corner on the screen (depends on cooldown, in vid lasts at least 4 seconds)... any thoughts?
That would be a really neat tool.

Though, that particular video was all about the Red Son DLC and the Stars lab missions, so it could just be a weird mini game mission thing and not an actual move.

Reactions: RYX

9_Lives

Noob
I like that idea. It's like that Uriel guy from the old street fighter game. (alpha, was it?)

BGMD

Noob
Though, that particular video was all about the Red Son DLC and the Stars lab missions, so it could just be a weird mini game mission thing and not an actual move.
Well first part of video is just random combos to show costumes in motion, and then some glimpses of mission stuff. But it's just a speculation, I reserve the right to be wrong.
Also, what led me to this conclusion is that Sinestro uses his "spider arms" (looks more like scorpion tails to me) as a part of his throw AND special move (when he shoots them across the screen).

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I am very interested in learning the properties of his moves. He looks like a zoner/ keepaway guy like Kenshi in ways. Should be interesting. Can't wait to see more of him.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
A few things. The version of the barrel/battering ram (whatever the hell it is) in which he rides it is his normal version while he ejects it in his ex version.

I for one find his attacks to be boring. Sinestro is far more interesting. I mean Green Lantern has like 4 different projectiles. Why the hell would he need 4 different projectiles? He doesn't even create a giant fist in his stage transition move like Sinestro.