What's new

Question Grappling hook help.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Howdy, robutts. New to Cyborg.
I'm having a hell of a troubling time trying to consistently do the grappling hooks. Never have I struggled with an input like this before. Needless to say, it's really bugging me. Particularly since it's clearly one of the best tools in his arsenal.

So, I'm here to ask you if there's any trick or tactic to get the GH out all the time?
Do it slowly? Am I too slow? Etc.
But, yeah. Help will be much appreciated. Thank you ;)

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Wow. Guess this character's forum is a wasteland, eh? Oh well. Alternate controls will have to suffice.

I've been putting in tons of matches with Cyborg lately and I can execute a GH 90% of the time now. If you are using a stick try to feel for the corners. Hit the lab for a few hours doing nothing but GH and you should get a feel for it. Alternate controls just makes GH more difficult to execute, IMO.

It's sad the Cyborg forum is pretty much dead. I'm really starting to love playing with him so I intend to contribute what ever I can whenever I feel like I've mastered him..so to speak. Target Acquired set-ups and his zoning is a blast and his corner game is pretty good.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
I'll be honest after I made the Cyborg tutorial, I switched to using a stick and was constantly missing the Grapple Hook inputs as well. I found for some reason you need an input that has a decent animation frame to put in the grapple-hook while the previous animation is going to make it work on command. A few good ones are his Target Acquired and Sonic Disruptor moves. Hope this helps :)

I'll be honest after I made the Cyborg tutorial, I switched to using a stick and was constantly missing the Grapple Hook inputs as well. I found for some reason you need an input that has a decent animation frame to put in the grapple-hook while the previous animation is going to make it work on command. A few good ones are his Target Acquired and Sonic Disruptor moves. Hope this helps :)
Yeah, Grapple Hook is very easy to execute while finishing a combo with Sonic Disruptor.

Deathstroke is impossible to beat if they are zoning you out and it can be frustrating pulling off a GH between Gun Shots.

OP, I like you. I used to play Cyborg (casually, but decent). For the love of god do not use Alternate controls with cyborg. You're never going to hit IAFB ever, then you'll probably lose. I play on a PS3 pad and when I want GH press down then slide your thumb to neutral, than u/f. It should work on XBox pad as well.

You basically lose IAFB On Alt. because the motion is even longer and it won't come out "instantly". GH is one of those things you have to practice in training mode, but doable.

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
If you try to do it too quickly it won't come out. The motion has to be very calm and confident. It's easy for me on stick because I used to practice TK motions a lot, but execute it as if you were practicing the motion and it'll probably come out. It's weird like that.

PressBackToBlock

Always back the underdog
Like someone mentioned, it's a lot easier to execute mid combo, and is probably best used. I never use a raw reverse grappling hook, when I can cover the same distance using IAFB's and get some chip in, and I never use an advancing grappling hook because 9/10 I will get d2 and full combo'd. Depending on the match up, if I find myself wanting to re-zone I will GH mid-string (which is ridiculously easy) or sd-cancel and continue pressure.

Just out of curiosity, what controller you using?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Everybody.
I am glad to announce, I am now able to do GH's raw and in combos. It's a lot easier than I thought it was, and now I feel stupid about making a thread about it.
Thanks for the help :cool:
Practice makes perfect. It is a weird input though