What's new

Guide - Heavy Weapons Glaring Weaknesses for HW Jax

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
Jax is a great character. I just want to outline some of the key weaknesses, his character build struggles with.

These go in order of importance. Again I'm not saying these are game breaking weakness for Jax just that each one causes a wrinkle in jax's master plan.

1. Fast zoning + fast movement speed (or fast zoning + decent movement speed + great back dash)

This is probably the worst match up for Jax. He has a slow accelerating run and long stride. You can argue he has ex dash punch to close range but against quick recovery zoners, the cost of the bar for the reward is very underwhelming. You will knock them away for little damage and have to deal with zoning again. Also when opponents are zoning there will barely be any meter gain for you all the while theirs is stacking up. When you finally get in expect a combo breaker right away.

2. Command grab Characters. (Specifically noting that F/T's command grab is the most dangerous)

Jax thrives in the corner, with armor busting combos, flash parries and mixup options. He does all of this by standing directly above a downed opponent in the corner. Jax can disrespect almost every characters wakeup game. Command Grabs eliminate the flash parry option, and make the window for armor busting much smaller. CG's also effect every cancel with Jax! You can no longer cancel back to safety. Grapplers will command grab on reaction to the rocket coming out on block. This only slightly changes your game plan considering you still have gotcha grab safety.. ALL JAX users must be wary of a F/T user with a bar on wakeup. You can not stand above this character in the corner while there is meter! F/T CG has 2 hits of armor and mad range. (Lackey is the anti jax variation with a 6 frame poke that has serious range)

3. Over using 11 + fastest mid combo starter having a gap and is unsafe. (Mostly applies to the corner)

11 is by far the most used move by jax. Rightfully so, +2 on block, on hit opponent has to deal with a mix up and is like 6 or 7 frames. Well jax has 11'd so much opponents now make easy reads on the high and go under our most deadly tool.

Now for the second part which is a real doozy, our next fastest mid combo is f3. With 10 frames and great range who can complain. Well along with that f3 has a gap into anything, hits only 1 time and by itself is full combo punish on block. Since f3 is only one hit and you would have to time the opponent standing up just right, probably best to use f3 as a punish only. B12 is a mid combo starter also but if blocked you cannot cancel into safety with a RC only with a gotcha grab and now your advantage is gone.

These cause a meterless Jax to reconsider using his best pressure string against downed and cornered opponents. *The best safe options left are b3, db1 (lose advantage -4) and B121 (+1).

Using 11 on cornered opponents runs so many risks. Ex...

A) Opponent simply pokes under 11 on wakeup.

B) Or they use a low profiling wakeup special i.e. ball roll, slide.

While stuck in the corner against a Jax that doesn't have meter.... there's an 80 percent chance your getting out.

*Edited B3, DB1 jails, and B121 is a good option.

Last edited:

eexcaliburr

Ancestors... oh, nevermind
Well that's fair enough.
But we have some options, I think.
Agreed with points 1 and 2.
Using 11 on cornered opponents runs so many risks. Ex...
From starter 1 you get some options. On wake-up you can whiff 1 and second 1 guaranteed hits, give you +2. Also you can 1,2~ whatever or just 1,2 that is only -3.

f3 is unsafe and all cancels are interruptable, but f3/f4(on block)~EX-bf2d can open opponent and leads to 33% damage. Risky for you, but opponent too.
Besides, f3~GG, f3~DeepPunch and f3~MajorPain are interruptable only by armor, so not every char in the game can punish you heavy with armor reversal.
Jax is a great character. I just want to outline some of the key weaknesses, his character build struggles with.
B12 is a mid combo starter also but if blocked you cannot cancel into safety with a RC only with a gotcha grab and now your advantage is gone.
B1 some underrated, I use it more often now, espesially in the corner. You can B121 and get +1 advantage, staying on range for d3/d4, b1, f3, 2, 4. Not so bad, I think.

b3 at least can be safety canceled into GG, DeepPunch, MajorPain. And into Law(except Cassie's Getaway kick and all Armor moves).

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I guess you gotta find that fine line with 11, it's great but at the end of the day it's still a high, using it whenever you can, without using it so much that you are low profile bait

Odyessus

B1 some underrated, I use it more often now, espesially in the corner. You can B121 and get +1 advantage, staying on range for d3/d4, b1, f3, 2, 4. Not so bad, I think.
Don't know why but I haven't been doing this lol. B121 in corner is a really good option. Won't bust armor but that's where the reads play.

b3 at least can be safety canceled into GG, DeepPunch, MajorPain. And into Law(except Cassie's Getaway kick and all Armor moves).
B3 has a gap into anything. Opponent can armor on wakeup or block. Useful if you whiff b3 and d2 lands on a blocked opponent though, leaves you +2.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Jax's BF4 destroys command grabs. IT becomes airborne on the first frame so you can just mash it out on reversal to get out of all tick throws and it is safe on block

Odyessus

B3 GG does jail. And I'm almost certain B3xxLAW cancel is one of the few that actually is advantage on block. Not enough to jail anything but is still plus nonetheless.
B3 RC is -6 or slightly less and has a gap into anything. If the opponent mashes armor right after the B3 it's blow up city. The only + string cancel is standing 4 which is around +15.

Jax's BF4 destroys command grabs. IT becomes airborne on the first frame so you can just mash it out on reversal to get out of all tick throws and it is safe on block
Hmmm didn't know that but explains why Jupiter does some of the things he does. I'm assuming you have to armor? Also you'll be putting yourself in the corner. I currently only use BF4 as an anti-air and combo ender to reverse input's on wake up while in the corner.

I think he can be punished by anything 7 frames and less. Doesn't leave much though.

waa waa waa, my excellent character isn't invincible. All characters need weaknesses.
No he should be perfect. Actually when you choose Jax your opponent shouldn't even be allowed to move, only makes since.

This is just a summary of my findings with Jax. Put it up for discussion to see what everyone else is doing.

Try fisticuffs Cage to know the true meaning of the expression "glaring weak character".
LOL it took me long enough to right one about Jax!

Odyessus

Is there something I'm not taking into account? Because...

Apologies that it took me a few tries, I'm not a Jax main.
Mind blown. I knew it felt like I got away with murder to many times for it to not be plus. What is strange to me though is Cassie should be able back dash after the B3 but she isn't even able to flip kick before rc, 123???

I'll have to lab it up once I get home.... Wonder if the computer is getting confused because it is reacting to the gap in the string and not the RC.

eexcaliburr

Ancestors... oh, nevermind
B3 has a gap into anything. Opponent can armor on wakeup or block. Useful if you whiff b3 and d2 lands on a blocked opponent though, leaves you +2.
B3 has very good cancel advantage into specials(about +18), so, you can SAFELY cancel in into any special except Law and Gun(Energy Wave interruptable too).

Tweedy

Noob
Lol Lao's spin didn't even start. CRISPY

Try fisticuffs Cage to know the true meaning of the expression "glaring weak character".
The fisticuff moves might be bad, but even if you run vanilla Johnny Cage, the character is far from weak.

Odyessus

B3 has very good cancel advantage into specials(about +18), so, you can SAFELY cancel in into any special except Law and Gun(Energy Wave interruptable too).
Hmmmm. I just assumed since the string b3d2 has a gap and I've gotten my b3, rc and b3,db2 (wrestler) blown up the gap was for everything.

Odyessus

Well I'm sorry your S-tier character has to respect ferra/torr on wakeup. How should NRS nerf them?
I've already said all characters should just be frozen in place and not able to fight back. That's how they should be nerfed.

This posting is my knowledge of the character and support for the community. Whether it be fighting Jax or using him.