Votes: 15 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I'm getting too old for this s#!t

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
So its only been a measly 24 hours and there has been a lot going on in the community. First my opinion. This is a great first patch and definitely the best first patch to come out of NRS in a while. I applaud them for claiming to taking a more serious approach to ushering in a fighting game that appeals to the competitive player and so far delivering us just that. Most of the bugs in the game have been addressed or fixed in some fashion which is probably the more significant thing to take notice of and be grateful for (online was annoying). Now as far as character balance goes, this is only the first patch and with option selects still in the game I have to assume there will be at least another patch catered to handle those issues meaning that there will be at least one more character balance patch. That being said I think they did an excellent job with this one. Most nerfs/buffs were reasonable and I can't see the tier lists drastically changing or being any less viable in tournament play. However, since then, there has been enough toxicity discovered to warrant a hazmat response. This made me question, is the community toxic? Is it simply a few bad apples spoiling the bunch or is there actually enough outrage from enough people to argue that the communities mindset is immature at best? If so how can we improve or otherwise learn from each other in a respectable mature way? Either way I hope to at most respectfully discuss and learn and at minimum tether all patch debates to this thread instead of bombarding the other character specific threads with opinions and grievances that would otherwise distract from their original purpose.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
With the combination of the censorship and my apparent inability to distinguish letters from symbols, I read the last one as "I'm getting too old for this salt"

Anyway, yeah man, the community is definitely toxic. It's all because of the bad apples but we have these bad apples because the orchard is extremely fucked.

You literally just do not see this level of whining, nerf/buff demanding and post nerf/buff complaining in other fighting game communities. It just isn't done like this.

Yes, the community is toxic. I was working and had no idea about the patch. After I got off work, i read people over and over freaking out about the Sub nerfs. #ruinedforever #unplayable

I had the opportunity to play my Sub offline with our local scene that same day against a diverse group of characters and I'm just like *shrug*.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
You literally just do not see this level of whining, nerf/buff demanding and post nerf/buff complaining in other fighting game communities. It just isn't done like this.
I agree, however all communities have people who whine. In my opinion the thing that separates the NRS community in that regard is that the top players are usually some of the worst offenders (not all top players obviously, but sometimes it's quite a few). It sounds weird to say but in other communities top players kind of set a good example by just playing the game instead of being immature. Not here though, that's definitely not the case with the NRS community. lol

TBH, I always find any attempt at treating TYM as a singular entity rather than what it actually is (i.e. multiple different people with different perspectives) to be missing the point a little.

If a person here is respectful, by and large there are plenty of others that are willing to help them out and discuss things. Unfortunately, there are a significant chunk of folks who aren't respectful, and that's where problems come in.

However, by no means is this something unique to TYM - it's an unfortunate testament to most every internet forum specific to video games. It happens on Tekkenzaibatsu, it happens on Smashboards, it happens on Shoryuken etc.

By and large, I think a big part of the problem could be solved by simply not engaging with people who are making blatantly inflammatory remarks, or who otherwise are acting in such a way that you find distasteful.

For the record, I also agree that this first patch is (largely) beneficial. There are a few small changes I don't particularly like, but we've still got more than enough time for any further kinks to be worked out.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
As someone who has been in the Madden tournament scene since 03, by comparison this community has so many cry babies. I plan on competing more in MKX and shifting my tournament endeavors toward fighting games in general. Having the ability to reference both communities gives a different spin on perspective I am sure. I will say the core of this community is much more helpful and at times more professional.... but as a whole there are WAAAAY more cry babies. I get so much hate mail and quitters online and in Facebook groups the crying is just out of control.

I also think the skill threshold is much higher in fighting games compared to madden, so many people simply can't compete even if they KNOW how to do something.... they can't because it is too difficult. So more people become frustrated with the game and express this frustration with hate and vulgar language.

Just my take from an outside perspective.

I think it's probably the game. This game has taunting mechanics (fatalities, brutalities) and I think the subtle things like that inspire more competitiveness and egotism that other games might not. Games like Smash seem to have really helpful and friendly communities, and although i think the majority of people in this community is nice, people can take it really personal when their character gets nerfed, because it alters their viability in tournaments and their own egotism, maybe. I don't think that fatalities and stuff make people act like assholes, but it definitely inspires an alternate angle of competitiveness that other games don't have, which could make people assholes. That's the way I look at it, at least.

Slymind

Noob
Toxic and unreasonable behavior unfortunately It's how many people act on the internet and even in life to be honest, overreactions, yelling and drama everywhere, just learn to separate the bad apples from the good ones, avoid generalizations as much as you can, and watch your step do you don't become one of those(i was kinda like that on earlier days, thankfully i can say that i managed to step up in that departament).

TBH, I always find any attempt at treating TYM as a singular entity rather than what it actually is (i.e. multiple different people with different perspectives) to be missing the point a little.

If a person here is respectful, by and large there are plenty of others that are willing to help them out and discuss things. Unfortunately, there are a significant chunk of folks who aren't respectful, and that's where problems come in.

However, by no means is this something unique to TYM - it's an unfortunate testament to most every internet forum specific to video games. It happens on Tekkenzaibatsu, it happens on Smashboards, it happens on Shoryuken etc.

By and large, I think a big part of the problem could be solved by simply not engaging with people who are making blatantly inflammatory remarks, or who otherwise are acting in such a way that you find distasteful.

For the record, I also agree that this first patch is (largely) beneficial. There are a few small changes I don't particularly like, but we've still got more than enough time for any further kinks to be worked out.
This guy knows what's up.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Thanks for the responses. Its just I get so frustrated when I see people act the way they've been acting, especially over such a small patch that for the most part improved the game. So when I think of the game developers and top players who get bashed the way they do without cause or merit it kind of gets under my skin. @AoK Ryan I just more or less suck at posting, this only my second one but one day I hope to create a successful living Raiden guide but I'm just not there yet with the formatting and the small details so I kind of try to learn by doing/from my mistakes

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
You see complaining in EVERY fighting game community. The major difference is other companies take their time and let the game breathe before nerfs/patches. NRS gives out a new one every other Tuesday. They did this with MK9 and you would have thought they learned with IGAU. Now they are doing it again. Not only is it this community that complains, but with social media so accessible, you have all kinds of random nobodies tweeting boon asking them to buff Cassie and nerf SZ. By this time, it's just something you are used to if you are a fan of the series.
You sure as hell get your $60 worth cause every other week it's a new fucking game lol

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Every online community is what you make of it.

I've been a long time competitive Madden gamer. I've heard all kinds of trash talked on - and by - that community, but its always been good to me. It has always served to offer me competition, advice, and camaraderie.

I'm a free-style player in both genres. Anything my opponents want to do is OK by me. If I can't beat it, that's on me. I've gotten lots of hate for this stance across both communities, but that just adds to the fun for me.

I'm going to play my game. Like it or hate it, matters much less than whether or not you can beat it.

If you think this community is toxic, go spend a couple browsing forums for any Blizzard game. They have created and fostered the single worst gaming community on the planet, even worse than XBox live kiddies (who taught me some things about my mother that I was previously unaware of)