What's new

General opinions of the game

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
First off, I'll qualify this by saying I am a PSN user so I have yet to really experience the online aspect of this game. I will withhold any offline discussion until PSN is restored (today hopefully). Once PSN returns, I'll update this post with my opinions of that portion.

In general, the actual gameplay itself is quite good. It plays similar to MKDC in many respects, it requires some well planned/timed strategy to execute combos, and it's nice to see bloody fatalities once again. As far as the extras go, Test your Luck, is a nice mixup. I enjoy playing with the random handicaps and they add a nice challenge to the game. The other great thing I love regarding offline play is the Story Mode. This game does a fantastic job recapping the core events of MK1-MK3 and then throws in a few twists to keep it new and interesting.

Now for the bad... The added extras, in my opinion, are a complete waste of space. Test Your Might, Sight, and Strike are all a joke and require next to no skill to beat. I wouldn't mind these things so much if the difficulty were ratcheted up a few notches. I don't think I've ever lost one time in those events. The Krypt is also unnecessary. Why should you have to unlock fatalities when they can be used right from the start of the game anyway? It's a good concept to have unlockables in a game, but only if they are worth getting and only if they cannot be obtained in any other way. I would have preferred to see more unlockable costumes and perhaps even some unlockable characters (but I guess that's what DLC is all about now.)

The Challenge Tower is, for the most part, uninspired and unimaginative. I enjoyed it for the first 100 or so challenges, but after that it was pretty much the same challenges rehashed over and over again. After having completed the entire thing, I can honestly say there were maybe 10-15 challenges at most that gave me a hard time. Even some of the triple endurance matches (3x Shao Khans) were somewhat laughable when you consider you can just repeatedly blast them in the face with a pistol FTW. Where's the fun in that? And of course, the bonus for beating the Tower... without giving it away for those who haven't beaten it, let's just say it does not live up to expectations.

Do you guys agree/disagree? What are your peeves right now?

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the game. I really wish that you got a third outfit for whoever you beat "End Game" with. I do not care about Test your sight, strike and might. Test your luck is pretty fun, but once online again, I don't think I'll ever really be playing that mode.