What's new

Strategy General Anti-Zoning Help

GreenLantern Ri

In Brightest Day...
I play a decent Green Lantern and currently I can win an alright portion of my match-ups. I started this game with no fighting background at all and this site has helped mold me into someone who isn't that shabby at all. I regret to admit though that the one newbie trait I can't seem to shake is losing to "Hard Zoning." I'm trying to keep my bitching and salt to a low because I honestly won't to continually expand my game, so once again I turn to you TYM! I'm getting beat by people who "spam" Deathstroke's guns, or Bladam's Lighting. I can't seem to find a way around it. I'll block and dash but with GL it seems I never cover enough ground and the Turbine has no armor so I end up taking the hit from whatever zoner I'm playing and then I'm back where I started. Is there anything more I could be doing?

(Side note: I wish the MB Turbine gave you one or two hits of armor instead of Hal just throwing it lol)

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
A few thoughts:
Against black adam - he has two projectiles. Lightning hits low. If you block the first one far away you get free jumps. You can air turbine, or you can zone right back by throwing out jumping missiles at a safe distance. BA can't punish things in the air at a safe zoning distance. This will pressure him to come to you.
Against desthstroke - he can zone anywhere and he wants to to jump. Block and move forward. Rinse and repeat. Gotta be patient, and hope that he gets impatient during your slow advance.

GreenLantern Ri

In Brightest Day...
A few thoughts:
Against black adam - he has two projectiles. Lightning hits low. If you block the first one far away you get free jumps. You can air turbine, or you can zone right back by throwing out jumping missiles at a safe distance. BA can't punish things in the air at a safe zoning distance. This will pressure him to come to you.
Against desthstroke - he can zone anywhere and he wants to to jump. Block and move forward. Rinse and repeat. Gotta be patient, and hope that he gets impatient during your slow advance.
Thank you for the information, especially on Black Adam. Noting the Deathstroke advice I have another question, is DS generally considered a bad matchup for GL?

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
DS MU is debatable. Someone else would know better. He is easy to punish when he gets unsafe with sword flips or makes a wrong read. But GL has a subpar dash, and since jumping can get you shot, he has trouble closing in. I believe GL is favored in the BA MU. LM shuts down a lot of his options so he tends to lame out more until GL does it right back (but better).

Go for the mid-air turbine against Adam to close in or just use the mid-air Oa's Rocket from the appropriate range. Against Deathstroke, I'd say duck the bullets at full screen and hit back with Oa's Rocket or the far missiles, but Oa's Rocket is better. Try not to jump with Deathstroke too much.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
BA just remember to block low far away and high close, he can also mix it up so as you learn his strings he may do a lightning to throw you off after a block string, you will learn with experience. Once you put Adam in a corner around mid zone you can pressure with air OAs rocket, this is pressure works great against great deal of the cast including BA and Aqua, when BA tries to jump hit them with your jump attack and punish. He also can't punish Air turbine so feel free to close the gap with this.

Deathstroke is a different story and a good Deathstroke is still a pain in the ass, you can Air rocket vs his ground guns and it will win but you need to guess when, against a bad DS this might work but good ones will jump back and shoot away, that's your chance for a free dash if they do, it's a dangerous game to try and shoot air rockets because one gun hit and you will be pushed back. You can be patient and take it slow walking a little and blocking low, also blocking his machine gun EX high, it's slow but the safest route to go. You can dash after blocking his low guns but GLs bad dash makes him get hit sometimes right after. I wouldn't suggest ground Oa's rocket as they will miss if he does low gun shots and you'll be punished, can't outzone a good deathstroke. And don't try air turbine his low shots as deathsroke will welcome with his sword flip then dash back and your almost full screen again.

Or you can learn scorpion and save yourself the trouble vs zoners lol.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I agree with the above. You're safe in the air against BA at zoning distance. If you can try to space turbine to ambiguously cross him when landing. Against DS every blocked shot lets you move forward a bit. If the DS is bad you can jump when you see a pattern and expect a sword flip when you get too close (again only ag bad ones). Free punish when that happens.

GreenLantern Ri

In Brightest Day...
Thank you for the tips, this is stuff I will absolutely be implementing into my game. I'll have to grab a buddy and run some training matches but it all sounds do-able. Thank you!

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I actually have the toughest time against a Batman who knows how to zone and read. If he has good Bat management he'll almost always have a mechanical bat to stuff your dashes or jump attempts. On top of that he can throw a diagonal rang AND meter burn straight rangs which GL has a hell of a time jumping over.

His movement might be worst in the game.

Mr Snow

Noob
Regarding Black Adam-anyone trying to solely beat you with "spamming" lightning is either playing the character wrong or you're the one at fault for letting it happen. If all they know how to do is spam lightning with BA then get in and start your melee game. GL's isn't the best but if someone doesn't know what they're doing against it you'll be fine. On the other hand, and no offense the most likely scenario, you're allowing this BA to keep you at bay with lightning and the moment you start to advance you need to be on guard for his dive kick and a couple other things. For starters it's rare that you need to block BA low. His only decent low attack to catch you is to throw lightning at the end of a combo. Other than that his offense hits mid-high mostly. I'm not a BA player so I don't know for sure but I believe the reason is the damage you get from his low starting combos is significantly lower than damage off a mid/high. If he does catch you with lightning it isn't too much damage but it'll give him an opportunity to mix up which is where your skill as a player comes more in to play if you can block the incoming.

Regarding Deathstroke-This character is like the basic fundamental on how to fight zoners in Injustice. Block and walk forward. GL shouldn't dash this one due to his poor dash getting caught sometimes. Set that track to repeat and keep going until you hit that magic 2-3 character length with GL. He won't chip you out anytime soon, it'll take patience, if he catches you it isn't too bad of damage, he's building you meter on block, and with GL staying at 2-3 character length away the only other way to hit you is with sword jumpy spin thing which is incredibly punishable. Don't try to throw your own missiles or rockets or turbines or anything. Vs Deathstroke the only special move in your arsenal is Lantern's Might and that's only mid combo. Get to GL's magic distance and he'll either make a mistake or you can pressure him with your own melee if he's too afraid to shoot or sword jump. Then it comes down to how well you know your GL melee offense and your skill at blocking attempts to jump 1 or 3 you for a crossup. Deathstroke is not, and NEVER was, the problem people new at the game make him out to be.