What's new

Gear upgrades - How will the additional special moves affect the consistency of the game?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Ed Boon mentioned that some gear can add "new moves" for characters. He specified that they will be character-specific, saying that obviously Batman wouldn't get Superman's laser eyes, for example. But has there been any info beyond that simple statement? I can't seem to find anything.

The question is two-fold:

1. Will these moves be "locked" somehow, similar to the default MKX Brutalities? What I mean is... Will there be a specific amount of moves available, and shown in the pause menu Moves List, but inputs hidden, and the appropriate gear will simply unlock them (similar how you had to unlock the Brutalities in the Krypt)?

2. Will tournament setups have all moves unlocked, or will people be stuck playing with only the base versions of characters? Sort of negating any training time done with your "upgraded" character.

I know information is still vague for now, and we might not even know any of this until next year, but these are just things I've been wondering and haven't seen much discussion of. Well, I mean, gear stats have been discussed/speculated a lot, but not much mention of the additional moves.

trufenix

bye felicia
It won't even matter. It's tied to gear and we'll be playing no gear mode.

Edit:

That was rude,
1. They will probably be recorded just like variation moves are in MKX, ie: when equipped they turn up in the movelist, when not, they don't.

2. See above.

You need only google Tekken Item moves and Smash Custom moves to know exactly how this is going to work. It is not a new concept.

Reactions: d3v

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
Stats and moves fall into the same catagory.
So everyone has been speculating on this already. And no one has any idea.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
It won't even matter. It's tied to gear and we'll be playing no gear mode.

Edit:

That was rude,
1. They will probably be recorded just like variation moves are in MKX, ie: when equipped they turn up in the movelist, when not, they don't.

2. See above.

You need only google Tekken Item moves and Smash Custom moves to know exactly how this is going to work. It is not a new concept.
I didn't play those games so it was a new concept to me. Thanks for the info! Interesting to see.