What's new

Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Whelp, I didn't see a thread dedicated to this awesome show, so I am going to create one! I just finished Season 2, and have been dying to discuss it with people, and reading the books too.

I think this series, for me, is personally the best type of entertainment I've ever watched, probably next to LoTR, be aware, I am a huge fantasy, medieval, or anything that has to deal with Knights, Armor, Swords and Battles, type person. So I have bias.

Kinda bummed I finished it, now I have to wait till June to enjoy it fully, I like to watch my shows in bulk, so I wait until a good amount of seasons are out.

Regarding Game of Thrones, I love it. Story lines intertwine and each character is so likeable, except probably Joffrey. Love how deep and complex some of the themes are in this, and it's not action 24/7 it's the plot that engages me.

My favorite characters currently are Valar (this guy was the best thing in Season 2), Tyrion, Snow, Arya, Dany.

Lou Kang

Noob
even the characters u hate u kinda get attached to....meaning joeffery is such a great anagonist that you want him to die obviously but u dont want that part of the story to be gone
the hate i gget toward joffrey is different than the hate i got from lori from the walking dead...where i was very happy to see her gone

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
meaning joeffery is such a great anagonist that you want him to die obviously but u dont want that part of the story to be gone
I agree 100%. If you make me hate someone for the right reasons its so powerful, rather than most shows where I just hate the characters that are written poorly or acted poorly. Joffrey gives meaning to: 'a character we love to hate'. On a side note, anyone thinking of banging thier sister needs to see this to know that if they do, they could unleash a lil joffrey into the world... cause thats what happens.

I'm only halfway through season two so I'll check back once I'm done.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Yeah, I don't want him gone. He is a great character that creates the bigger picture which drives the other characters story lines and motives.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I really hope Season 3 gives Stannis his rightful amount of screen time.

He got totally gipped in the last season. There was at least an hour of story-telling that was removed for pointless tits and ass.

I really hope Season 3 gives Stannis his rightful amount of screen time.

He got totally gipped in the last season. There was at least an hour of story-telling that was removed for pointless tits and ass.
Yeah, I had a feeling there was more to his story, he just got bodied by Wildfire. Melisandre is so hot though.

While we're at it, anyone reccomend any other awesome fantasy, medieval, etc, type shows movies...

Law Hero

If you're in need of some political intrigue in between seasons/books of GoT/ASoIaF, I recommend watching HBO's Rome.

Incredibly script, fantastic actors, and just-all around good. Not only that, many of the primary actors in it are going to be playing major roles in Game of Thrones season 3.

If you're in need of some political intrigue in between seasons/books of GoT/ASoIaF, I recommend watching HBO's Rome.

Incredibly script, fantastic actors, and just-all around good. Not only that, many of the primary actors in it are going to be playing major roles in Game of Thrones season 3.
I am one book 1 so far. for ASoIaF.

Didn't Rome get canned? I was thinking of watching some Harry Potters I missed and Spartacus.

Law Hero

I am one book 1 so far. for ASoIaF.

Didn't Rome get canned? I was thinking of watching some Harry Potters I missed and Spartacus.
Well, it's kind of sad, but HBO shut it down to be replaced by Game of Thrones. So the writers crammed several seasons into one to close it off. Regardless, it's a fantastic show and I really really wish there was more. Highly recommended.

How fast of a reader are you? Not gonna lie, after you read through book two, you're probably gonna be pretty pissed off at the show writers for the changes they've made. I suggest buckling down and finishing the books before watching the next season.

Well, it's kind of sad, but HBO shut it down to be replaced by Game of Thrones. So the writers crammed several seasons into one to close it off. Regardless, it's a fantastic show and I really really wish there was more. Highly recommended.

How fast of a reader are you? Not gonna lie, after you read through book two, you're probably gonna be pretty pissed off at the show writers for the changes they've made. I suggest buckling down and finishing the books before watching the next season.
I don't know how fast, I just read. Lol. Average?

Yeah, my friend finished book 1, he said, they made Renely randomly gay, in the shows and shit cus HBO likes making men gay in all their shows for some reason. Like, him going balls deep in that guy never happens in the books or something. And some dude dying never happens.

I guess I'll watch it I hate watching shows that end quick cus I get all sad it's over!

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
I don't know how fast, I just read. Lol. Average?

Yeah, my friend finished book 1, he said, they made Renely randomly gay, in the shows and shit cus HBO likes making men gay in all their shows for some reason. Like, him going balls deep in that guy never happens in the books or something. And some dude dying never happens.

I guess I'll watch it I hate watching shows that end quick cus I get all sad it's over!
Renely was never said to be gay in the books however it was strongly implied and later confirmed by George RR Martin himself in an interview that Renely was gay.

Renely was never said to be gay in the books however it was strongly implied and later confirmed by George RR Martin himself in an interview that Renely was gay.
Oh well, I don't know, haven't finished the books and my friend only finished book 1, so yeah, he thought it was weird he was randomly going balls deep in that guy randomly.

Law Hero

Well, Renly was still gay in the books but he never had any sex scenes where Loras Tyrell goes down on him with incredibly loud slurping noises resounding through your speakers. It was something hinted at by other characters. Like, when Renly and Stannis are treating on the cliffside, Renly says something along the lines of "...and my bride has come to be a maiden" which Stannis replies with "And in your bed she's like to die that way." Also, it's not much of a spoiler, more of a change to the show, but when Renly dies, Loras actually goes berserk and kills the rest of Rainbow Guard instead of crying like a little bitch, save for Brienne who had already escaped. There's other dialogue with Loras where he mentions his "sun setting" and stuff, but it's nothing so blatant as in the show.

The show is nice, but you're really only getting a small fraction of the story. A huge part of the books involves prophecies and legends, none of which are even mentioned in the show. There's lots of mystical mysteries to be sorted out and visions to be deciphered. Because of their exclusion, many of the characters like their proper motivation and stuff. Well, you'll see.

LanceMonsoon

Oh well, I don't know, haven't finished the books and my friend only finished book 1, so yeah, he thought it was weird he was randomly going balls deep in that guy randomly.
Lol yea I can't find the link but Martin basically just said that HBO was able to showcase the relationship and that he was surprised the fans didn't catch on in the books.

Cool, good to know.

So, I was reading and there's some theories that Snow is the true heir to the throne? Making him the son of Ice and Fire.

LanceMonsoon

Well, Renly was still gay in the books but he never had any sex scenes where Loras Tyrell goes down on him with incredibly loud slurping noises resounding through your speakers. It was something hinted at by other characters. Like, when Renly and Stannis are treating on the cliffside, Renly says something along the lines of "...and my bride has come to be a maiden" which Stannis replies with "And in your bed she's like to die that way." Also, it's not much of a spoiler, more of a change to the show, but when Renly dies, Loras actually goes berserk and kills the rest of Rainbow Guard instead of crying like a little bitch, save for Brienne who had already escaped. There's other dialogue with Loras where he mentions his "sun setting" and stuff, but it's nothing so blatant as in the show.

The show is nice, but you're really only getting a small fraction of the story. A huge part of the books involves prophecies and legends, none of which are even mentioned in the show. There's lots of mystical mysteries to be sorted out and visions to be deciphered. Because of their exclusion, many of the characters like their proper motivation and stuff. Well, you'll see.
Yea it's sad actually. I have friends who watch the show and have watched some episodes like 3 times and when I mention Rhegaer Targaryion to them they look at me all clueless. Another thing is the show does Jaime Lannister no justice it all. He is a much deeper character then just the pretty boy, incest having, child hurting person he is in the show.

Law Hero

Cool, good to know.

So, I was reading and there's some theories that Snow is the true heir to the throne? Making him the son of Ice and Fire.
Yeah, more stuff you'll never read in the books. That's something you're best discussing after you've read through the books though, as it will ruin a lot of fun speculating along the way. Jon Snow's heritage has always been a point of interest, and there's some pretty solid theories out there.

LanceMonsoon

Cool, good to know.

Yea man, keep reading. The books are awesome and so is the show. But the books offer so much more when it comes to the whole background stories.

Law Hero

Yea it's sad actually. I have friends who watch the show and have watched some episodes like 3 times and when I mention Rhegaer Targaryion to them they look at me all clueless. Another thing is the show does Jaime Lannister no justice it all. He is a much deeper character then just the pretty boy, incest having, child hurting person he is in the show.
Man, I've really just given up caring for what the show does. They've already ruined Jon, Robb, Arya, Jaime, Stannis, and left Roose and Ramsay in the dust last season. Those characters have just been ruined for me. Robb especially. I loved that dude in the books, but show Robb is an ass, and Others take "Talisa of Volantis."

It's sad that there's no mention of Azor Ahai, the Song of Ice and Fire, Rhaegar Targ, or even really Lightbringer in the show. I mean, Jon is one of the main characters, so how on earth are people going to learn about his parents when no one even knows who Rhaegar and Lyanna are? They better give Oberyn some heavy dialogue explaining Robert's rebellion before his fight with Gregor.

Yeah I am, I could never find a comfortable position and just put the book down after a while, Lol.

So, guys wanna discuss up to S2?

Well, Jamie is a really good character to me, even though after he got done knocking up his Sister his story line kind of dwindled.

LanceMonsoon

Man, I've really just given up caring for what the show does. They've already ruined Jon, Robb, Arya, Jaime, Stannis, and left Roose and Ramsay in the dust last season. Those characters have just been ruined for me. Robb especially. I loved that dude in the books, but show Robb is an ass, and Others take "Talisa of Volantis."

It's sad that there's no mention of Azor Ahai, the Song of Ice and Fire, Rhaegar Targ, or even really Lightbringer in the show. I mean, Jon is one of the main characters, so how on earth are people going to learn about his parents when no one even knows who Rhaegar and Lyanna are? They better give Oberyn some heavy dialogue explaining Robert's rebellion before his fight with Gregor.
I liked Robb at first in the show but now he just seems to be your run of the mill power hungry douche. I would talk more but sadly I have no clue how to add spoiler tags, lol. I'm always down to discuss ASOIAF so I'll gladly send you a PM with some of my theories and stuff that have MAD spoilers in them when I'm not so tired lol.

Law Hero

Yeah I am, I could never find a comfortable position and just put the book down after a while, Lol.

So, guys wanna discuss up to S2?
What do you want to discuss.

And, Lance...help me out here, buddy. Who's bright idea was it to kill the Tickler in season 2? I still can't wrap my head around that colossal screw-up.