What's new

Strategy From Casual to Pro Through Discussion

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I have known many known players long before they became known and I gave them all this advice. Have discussions with like-minded players (meaning serious players) about how you approach this or that.

In Madden, for instance, I would ask them how they deal with a specific defense. I would specifically want to know how confident they are against it and how they would go about attacking it.

In fighting games, ask how you would go at a player who stays full screen and attacks from afar with a specific character matchup in mind. Ask about their confidence in attacking such a player in that matchup and what they look to do first and what they are looking for. When they answer, you will have a different idea on what to do. Tell them what you look to do. Through this discussion, you will notice that although there are similarities in what you look to do, there are also fundamental differences - usually in the starting point. Through these discussions, you will become aware of blind spots on both sides. They will present options you didn't think of. Likewise, you will recognize flaws in their answers as well. Do this for every style you can think of, one at a time, so that you can process the information and actually ingest it.

The one that knows more from that point will always have a slight advantage in that matchup from then on, so have discussions like this with teammates - before having these discussions with competitors. Although we learn more as we go, we remain who we were - and rarely does our starting point change in terms of what we look to do to start. Still, the insight from these discussions will jump you forward - while grinding out matchups yourself is a much longer process.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Wonderful read. For me it's all about MY knowlknowledge amd execution through gaps. Like in MKX Kitana could dp War God's gaps fairly easy but I mess my timing up 9/10 times. Fml

Reactions: GAV
this is helpful because I'm always trying to figure out what Im missing to bridge the gap between being above average to being one of the best.

If you think that in a discussion, you both agree - dig a bit deeper and you will find that your approaches differ.
I can get behind that because even my bro who is, skill wise equal but i always edge out ahead of him because our approaches to the game are completely different

GAV

I can get behind that because even my bro who is, skill wise equal but i always edge out ahead of him because our approaches to the game are completely different
Being brothers, you should be able to have open and honest discussions that will fill the gaps in your knowledge to a collective. Just make sure neither side holds anything back.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The MU differs from each character of course, but the real key to compete lies in the capacity of the player to see trough what options his opponent's will try to pick on different situations on that instance.

I for once, whenever character i'm playing against in any fighting game, starting point of a round will always give me at the very least a few options to look for from the opponent right away:

Either they neutral jump, dash in, run, jump forward, attack right away anything...

but the real goal is, how your character can counter it, which ones are the easiest to spot and counter and which ones are the hardest, a good player will always do the thing that favors his character more, this is basically a common sense behaviour, while heart players don't genuinely think, they make their decisions mostly based on guts, if you can be inside their heads when this is happening its your win.

GAV

The MU differs from each character of course, but the real key to compete lies in the capacity of the player to see trough what options his opponent's will try to pick on different situations on that instance.

I for once, whenever character i'm playing against in any fighting game, starting point of a round will always give me at the very least a few options to look for from the opponent right away:

Either they neutral jump, dash in, run, jump forward, attack right away anything...

but the real goal is, how your character can counter it, which ones are the easiest to spot and counter and which ones are the hardest, a good player will always do the thing that favors his character more, this is basically a common sense behaviour, while heart players don't genuinely think, they make their decisions mostly based on guts, if you can be inside their heads when this is happening its your win.
This simplifies your options and allows you to prepare proper punishment for any scenario. Question - What are your steps when you encounter something new or unexpected? Do you run through your existing tactics as soon as you see it or do you wait, let it play out, and then devise multi-tiered strategies on the fly?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Advice From Box :D :

Learn from everything. Learn how to learn from everything.
There's (almost) always something that can be taken away from battle.

Don't try to duplicate. Take what you see and make it your own.

Take your time.
Don't get caught up in absolutes. Believe in what works for you.

Don't jump in on Kitana.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
To improve, get out of your comfort zone. Play every character, understand how they work. Understand the people who prefer them over what you prefer.
If you know yourself, that's half the battle.
If you know your enemy, the only thing left to know is time itself.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This simplifies your options and allows you to prepare proper punishment for any scenario. Question - What are your steps when you encounter something new or unexpected? Do you run through your existing tactics as soon as you see it or do you wait, let it play out, and then devise multi-tiered strategies on the fly?
its highly dependent of how often that situation can present itself on the same scenario, if can be presented multiple times it becomes easily accountable, then its a matter of knowing if i can counter if i block it, or if i can interrupt it. If there is a risk they going unexpected? Are they heart players? (Heart players takes unexpected risks)
If they can frame trap it, is there a risk? can i avoid both options? Should you wait the situation to present itself again? Or can you counter before the scenario that puts you into position favorable to this unexpected thing to happen? Is it Baitable!

See the patterns? Either you choose to deal with it because you can account it? Or You choose to anticipate steps way ahead before it caught you off guard again.

GAV

its highly dependent of how often that situation can present itself on the same scenario, if can be presented multiple times it becomes easily accountable, then its a matter of knowing if i can counter if i block it, or if i can interrupt it. If there is a risk they going unexpected? Are they heart players? (Heart players takes unexpected risks)
If they can frame trap it, is there a risk? can i avoid both options? Should you wait the situation to present itself again? Or can you counter before the scenario that puts you into position favorable to this unexpected thing to happen? Is it Baitable!

See the patterns? Either you choose to deal with it because you can account it? Or You choose to anticipate steps way ahead before it caught you off guard again.
Certainly.

I think its generally best to manage so you can see it through until it really matters. Its not usually that its new, but to pick up on the nuances in between. Then, only after you have seen it a few times to the endgame, go the pre-emptive route and see if you can bait your opportunity. Alot of players wait on stuff, but I think its more important to be prepared than anticipatory. When I watch the best players play or play them, they often have anticipatory plans for anticipatory plans. In these cases, its better to trust your skills and see it through a few times so you can really read into their plans. As long as there is life, learning is the way to go.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Certainly.

I think its generally best to manage so you can see it through until it really matters. Its not usually that its new, but to pick up on the nuances in between. Then, only after you have seen it a few times to the endgame, go the pre-emptive route and see if you can bait your opportunity. Alot of players wait on stuff, but I think its more important to be prepared than anticipatory. When I watch the best players play or play them, they often have anticipatory plans for anticipatory plans. In these cases, its better to trust your skills and see it through a few times so you can really read into their plans. As long as there is life, learning is the way to go.
except its Mortal Kombat, MK these days is a 1 mixup end game away.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I personally find it more important to talk to the competitor on what they find difficult and what gives them a rough time.

You can talk to ten people in the exact same position as you and while you might get some insight, you might not ever come across the best way to combat a situation. Theyre in the same situation as yoi. They won't have, for example, played every Quan Chi player or maybe not even a lot of them.

Whereas the Quan Chi player has played thousands of different matches against different characters. They know what gives them trouble and what doesn't, they just have more experience in those situations. Sometimes people are ass holes and don't tell you the whole truth but if you can have an honest conversation with the person who's beating you I think you can take a lot more from that than talking to someone who's stuck in the same situation you are.

Both approaches are equally important though imo, just depends on the person having the trouble, the person you're talking to and the situation itself.

GAV

except its Mortal Kombat, MK these days is a 1 mixup end game away.
Can't argue with that. Tournament settings in MK definitely up the ante.

Still, not every match is live or die. Knowledge is more important than bravado or momentum in casual settings.

Some players think every game is their moment and they're playing themselves with that mentality, IMO.

Players that talk early, like CDjr, are simply trying to get their opponents in that mode so they can see what they're all about at that time.