What's new

Question Footsies

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Noob looks like the tools for his footsie game are great, but is something like D3~Tackle safe? A max-ranged D3(or D4) into Tackle looks like it has the pushback to be safe on block, but I'd like to know before I start abusing it actively.

What are my options after a blocked Upknee mid-screen, depending on how much advantage I gain on block?

Are moves like Noob's standing 4 a decent footsie tool? It has range and it comes decently fast to be entirely honest.

Why are portals so underused? They're an easy way to get someone to react, and in most situations, you can dash and AA them for jumping forward, and you can TS them for jumping backwards. I'm PRETTY sure that after a BnB into portal of your choice, in most situations you can at least F33 them on their way down for pressure if not AA punish them entirely. Am I wrong?

InFlames

dead
D3~Tackle is very unsafe though I'm not too sure on max-ranged and D4. After a blocked Up Knee(212~Up Knee) I either throw out a Charge or step back for AA. One of my friends told me 4 was great for pressure and footsies, for me it's the same as B1 but with bigger range so I'm guessing it's useful.

The only portal worth really using for zoning is In-Front portal since most people react by jumping forward, the rest are good for setups. As for your last statement, you can't normal AA someone while a Blackhole is in the screen. If I saw a jumping opponent I would just trow a tackle/slide and continue zoning them.

I would prefer D+3xxUpknee for most occasions. D+3xxTackle/Slide for the mighty mixups frequently, but not too much. An adequately-ranged D+4 will cause the Upknee to whiff if canceled into, so I'd probably refrain from using Upknee when mixing the Shadows on D+4 cancels.
I'm sure fast-advancing specials are capable of punishing well-spaced D+4xxTackles, despite the pushback. Such as Reptile's Elbow Dash and Raiden's Superman.

After a blocked mid-screen Upknee, you can toss a Tackle/Slide, throw another Upknee if you think they'll try jumping in or to keep them in check, or just wait and react accordingly.

Oh yeah, I think standing 4 can be used as a footsie tool! Does it hit mid or high, though?
Standing 4 executes in 18 frames, B+1 in 21. St4 is -1 on block, B+1 is 0, but St4 has pushback. Both are +3 on hit. B+1 has 41 frames of duration, St4 has 46, so it's more unsafe on whiff by a slight percentage.

I have no idea, but Portals are good for dem space-limiting and mind-occupying purposes.

you can't normal AA someone while a Blackhole is in the screen. If I saw a jumping opponent I would just trow a tackle/slide and continue zoning them.
Wait, really? I thought that only applied to Darkness, not Black Hole as well! D:

Even though you'll see me use it often, D3 -> tackle is rarely, if ever safe. Characters like Kung Lao can full combo punish you, but most people duck Noob's incoming pressure, so the overhead tackle will over time possibly convince the opponent to block high. Then, the rest of your pressure options open up. May be better off just using F3 after a d3, though, since it hits mid and people tend not to react in time.

As far as Noob's up knee on block, after any close range up knee, you actually have a lot of options, imo. There is the basic 50/50 mix up where they either have to eat/block a shadow charge, or they can jump and you can AA/upknee. But you can also throw out a D3 into pressure, or an F3 to blow up pokes, and sometimes you can even D4. D4 to shadow charge might not be a horrible idea in this scenario. From a farther distance up knee, you just have the basic 50/50 I mentioned before, even with EX upknee on block, but you have to be careful throwing shadow charges at that distance.

Standing 4 seems like a solid footsie tool. Just have to find situations to use it other than just throwing it out.

Portals aren't reliable. Most people don't blow them up like they should. After a portal, you can standing 2 AA into an AA combo or njp into another string of your choice.

Some things you just have to use over and over until they are blown up. It's how you figure out the game. So, abuse what you think may have potential until someone starts blowing it up. Then, it is just another option.

Footsies is knowing your opponents ranges and your own. It's also knowing when to do certain moves, and where they work.

Noob's footsies tools:
d3 - has excellent range, spacing tool
f3 - decent range, hits mid, whiff punish counter pokes
2 - all purpose anti-air
4 - spacing tool, far anti-air
B1 - advancing, hits mid, long range poke
f4 -advancing, hits crouch blocking
d4 - great range, spacing tool
Upkee - spacing tool, defense, general mindgames
Tackle & Slide - basic mixup, general mindgames

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Just as another question, I was told you can't normal AA when there's a portal on screen.

Conversely, am I able to dash and AA after a portal reset combo, in lieu of a tackle or teleport? This seems like it would really be good, as well as getting a guaranteed F33 for pressure after they land.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Never thought of using standing 4 as a footsie tool, good stuff

Also, after a teleslam, I love doing d4~tackle or EX slide. Actually I would say d4~EX slide is a pretty underrated tool since EX slide is only -14 on block, and the pushback from a blocked d4 should make it safer

First things first, it's absolutely essential that UpKnee is respected in footsies. It hits mid, has decent startup/recovery frames, and is his main AA. Once it's respected it allows Noob to utilize some of his slower normals. UpKnee can also be used in a defensive manner because of its pushback on block.

Tackle/Slide should be used for whiff punishing in footsies because they're hella unsafe on block/whiff.

Standing 2 is one of his best normals IMO! This is his best AA because it has great recovery, and big hitbox. It's only better than Upknee because of the recovery, and it offers bigger damage/setups.

B1 is fairly slow, but it's an advancing normal with great range. This move can be easily jumped punished that's why it's important that you get your opponent to respect standing 2 and UpKnee. B1 string builds a good amount of meter, and b1 can be used for tick throw setups.

F3 is one of Noob's better normals. It hit mid, it advances, can be made safe on block throughout the entire string, and has low crush properties on most d3's. Also, f3 string builds good meter.

D3 is a great offense starter and spacing tool. D3~Upknee is good to gain some space, but it doesn't hit on all characters. F3 is a good follow up to a d3 on hit. It can also be used for crossover defense.

D4 is average. Can mount an offense on hit.

Portal (In Front) is actually good in footsies against agressive, and opponents eager to get in. Canceled from normals and strings with good push back work well.