What's new

Footsies with Kabal?

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Kabal's dash makes him unlike any other character. Until recently my entire footsie game with Kabal relied on walking backwards and dashing in and hit confirming a F3 2 into pressure. With his lack of advancing normals (aside from F3) what other options are there for smart footsie play? And when should I incorporate the nomad dash for spacing instead of regular footsies? What do you do?

Lulzlou

Noob
This what I do and generally works with all the people I go up against. I don't know if they just don't know what to do or it actually works. All of it is known obviously but felt like writing the biggest things I do.

A few things I do naturally when I'm in a match. Some work more than others on some people but I adapt accordingly. Watched high level kabal videos on youtube/streams so this is what I was able to pick up on.

Dash in d3
From here you have a few options after the d3
-Dash back. This is mainly for trying to get anything to whiff. You want to try to hit the d3 at the max range so you can dash out safely. You can punish the whiff depending on what your opponent tries to do.
-Dash back into jump in punch/kick or don't dash back into a cross-over into whatever, most likely b121. This is only if you read they aren't going to use any anti-air move.
-Dash back then dash in d3 again and do a follow up or back dash.
-Dash in d3 block. if you read they'll do a special/normal move that is punishable, free punish if you read right.
2. Dash in d3 then any normal. If they respect it and block the follow up, you can get in for pressure. If they get hit by the follow up, you can get a combo going.
**d3 is -7 on block so keep that in mind. They'll end up crouch blocking it if you only focus on that lol

AA whiff punisher
When you are in Jump-in range, Jump forward then gas blast in the middle of the jump. I got this from Eric Warda I think when he did that to Tom Brady's Kung Lao. He did that to bait a spin. You can regular dash or ex dash to be safe. It can be used for different moves too.

Nomad Dash anywhere on screen and cancel into saw, slam, throw or another dash. This is sorta risky if you do another dash so only use it if you know you are going to read right.
This is a good example, I did it on blackula's stream when he used smoke. Basically start doing dash and cancel into buzz saw from anywhere on the screen. If you condition him to respect that he will eventually try to do the shake move to punish it. You can either Tornado slam there, throw, or cancel into dash again. The follow up dash is risky so throw or tornado slam is the best bet just in case they block instead. You can tell what to do with other characters based on that I guess lol.

Any normal,~ndc into crouch block. You can actually cancel the dash by pressuing D+B+block. This will block any low attack. It is good for people that usually try to poke out of the pressure. Once they hit you blocking, you can punish or follow up depending on what they do.

Any normal~ndc into back dash. I usually never see any kabal players doing this. This helps me a lot avoiding low pokes and I can whiff punish. It is mixed on being character dependent and opponents knowledge. Know the spacing for each match up and it can actually be useful.

Pressure ending with iagb
I like doing this one if I know they are going to jump or low poke. The iagb should make the low poke whiff and catch them in the air if they jump. It should stop a lot of normals/specials and if they stand block it at the lowest point you are +5. Follow up with anything if they are grounded and hit by it. F4~nd if they jump foward or neutral. Depending on the distance you can f4 them if they jump back but if its too far just nd.

Again, I learned Kabal from top 8 streams and videos on youtube. I haven't read any of the guides so I can't give credit to anyone. If these aren't worth doing then sorry, they work for me and I'm able to adapt to the opponents knowledge.

edit: here is a video explaining it in training mode. not in order of h0w the thread is

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
This what I do and generally works with all the people I go up against. I don't know if they just don't know what to do or it actually works. All of it is known obviously but felt like writing the biggest things I do.

A few things I do naturally when I'm in a match. Some work more than others on some people but I adapt accordingly. Watched high level kabal videos on youtube/streams so this is what I was able to pick up on.

Dash in d3
From here you have a few options after the d3
-Dash back. This is mainly for trying to get anything to whiff. You want to try to hit the d3 at the max range so you can dash out safely. You can punish the whiff depending on what your opponent tries to do.
-Dash back into jump in punch/kick or don't dash back into a cross-over into whatever, most likely b121. This is only if you read they aren't going to use any anti-air move.
-Dash back then dash in d3 again and do a follow up or back dash.
-Dash in d3 block. if you read they'll do a special/normal move that is punishable, free punish if you read right.
2. Dash in d3 then any normal. If they respect it and block the follow up, you can get in for pressure. If they get hit by the follow up, you can get a combo going.
**d3 is -7 on block so keep that in mind. They'll end up crouch blocking it if you only focus on that lol

AA whiff punisher
When you are in Jump-in range, Jump forward then gas blast in the middle of the jump. I got this from Eric Warda I think when he did that to Tom Brady's Kung Lao. He did that to bait a spin. You can regular dash or ex dash to be safe. It can be used for different moves too.

Nomad Dash anywhere on screen and cancel into saw, slam, throw or another dash. This is sorta risky if you do another dash so only use it if you know you are going to read right.
This is a good example, I did it on blackula's stream when he used smoke. Basically start doing dash and cancel into buzz saw from anywhere on the screen. If you condition him to respect that he will eventually try to do the shake move to punish it. You can either Tornado slam there, throw, or cancel into dash again. The follow up dash is risky so throw or tornado slam is the best bet just in case they block instead. You can tell what to do with other characters based on that I guess lol.

Any normal,~ndc into crouch block. You can actually cancel the dash by pressuing D+B+block. This will block any low attack. It is good for people that usually try to poke out of the pressure. Once they hit you blocking, you can punish or follow up depending on what they do.

Any normal~ndc into back dash. I usually never see any kabal players doing this. This helps me a lot avoiding low pokes and I can whiff punish. It is mixed on being character dependent and opponents knowledge. Know the spacing for each match up and it can actually be useful.

Pressure ending with iagb
I like doing this one if I know they are going to jump or low poke. The iagb should make the low poke whiff and catch them in the air if they jump. It should stop a lot of normals/specials and if they stand block it at the lowest point you are +5. Follow up with anything if they are grounded and hit by it. F4~nd if they jump foward or neutral. Depending on the distance you can f4 them if they jump back but if its too far just nd.

Again, I learned Kabal from top 8 streams and videos on youtube. I haven't read any of the guides so I can't give credit to anyone. If these aren't worth doing then sorry, they work for me and I'm able to adapt to the opponents knowledge.

edit: here is a video explaining it in training mode. not in order of h0w the thread is
Good stuff dude. I'll def try this!

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Kabal's dash makes him unlike any other character. Until recently my entire footsie game with Kabal relied on walking backwards and dashing in and hit confirming a F3 2 into pressure. With his lack of advancing normals (aside from F3) what other options are there for smart footsie play? And when should I incorporate the nomad dash for spacing instead of regular footsies? What do you do?
Kabal's f'in gdlk B4 fast sweep...!

McNasty

Moist.
I dont play kabal but ones that always get me are:

Ndc sawblade just outside jump in range at best they trade a punch but land infront of you and recover after you do.

D4 hookswords then dash into another hooksword.

Greatest of all is doing nothing at all kabal is scary when hes just walking in and out giving your opponent nothing to read. Ndc fireballs and sawblade are all good but eventually you will give them something to read. MoonSpell has a grand finals video that has good footsies showcased in it. Also REO vs CD Sr. have epic footsie matches.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
McNasty
Yeah, that KL fight drained me compliantly. KL up close was killer, so i had to play good Footsies and work my way around that insane pressure.