What's new

Fixing My XBOX Pad Woes

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So, I'm writing here because I'm at the point of last resort. The short of it is, I bought a second copy of MK9 a few months back, so that I could play on X360 (the newer black Slim model) along with my PS3. What started as a promising addition to the library quickly became a nightmare, as I was forced to reckon with the Xbox's excuse for a d-pad.

So I thought "Hey, this is no big deal; I'll just grab a converter". So I did my homework, found that everyone recommended the ektokki xtokki, so I ordered one and a PS2 pad and set out to take over the world.

Except that, randomly while playing, my 'back' input would become stuck, rendering my inputs useless and causing me to walk backward helplessly unless blocking. It happened about every other match, forcing me to literally unplug the PS2 converter from the Xtokki and plug it back in again, just to get another round of playtime before it happened again.

So I said "Hey; everyone recommended this one, so maybe mine's defective." So I ordered a new one, AND a second PS2 pad just to make sure it wasn't the pad. And I even bought a GTMax to boot. So now I'm completely covered, or so I thought..

Nope. The second Xtokki had the exact same issue. Trying the other pad, I'd get stuck in crouch instead of 'back'.. Useless again. So I tried the GTMaxx.. It doesn't even work.

In desperation I bought a MadCatz SF4 pad, and while it's ok, it's not nearly as good, comfortable, or accurate as the Dualshock. So now I have a conundrum -- what should I do? Is there any hope for a PS-pad player on a modern Xbox?

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
this is only a minor solution but i have the same problem , just jerk the analogue stick the opposite way of whatever button is sticky . it works for me still hella annoying though:(

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
It's Dpad is better than Xbox and PS3.

It's funny that it being a Batarang is more relevant now.
I've tried tons of controllers for xbox months ago and this is the single best pad I've ever used for 360 and it is way more responsive than PS3 as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Batarang-Controller-Xbox-360-Wired/dp/B005761JFW

*EDIT
Another thing about the xtokki converters...
I'm pretty sure those errors occur when you press the analog sticks by accident.
I removed the analog sticks from a PS2 controller and it rarely happened anymore because I didn't hit them by accident.
That Batarang controller is nice. I prefer using fighting sticks over controllers. I preordered the Injustice Battle Edition with the fighting stick. 4/16/2012 can't get here soon enough.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
*EDIT
Another thing about the xtokki converters...
I'm pretty sure those errors occur when you press the analog sticks by accident.
I removed the analog sticks from a PS2 controller and it rarely happened anymore because I didn't hit them by accident.
Ahhh, I remember hearing about that before. Do you have to physically seperate/break anything, or can you just unscrew the casing and take them out?

Also yeah, the swag factor of using a Batarang controller for Injustice is pretty notable :)

Noob

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I looked at that one when I was considering options; but aside from the reviews about it being flimsy, are turbo controllers even consistently tourney-legal?

Noob
Don't buy this controller.
I've had at least 4 of them and each one has died on me in 1-3 months.

If the rubber inside the controller for the buttons don't wear out, then the controller will simply stop working because the wiring is awful in them. I love the layout, but the buttons get less and less responsive over time. I've owned 4 or 5 of them before I gave up.

It's only good for really occasional use.

I've had 2, never had a problem with them... gave one away to a friend simply because he needed it, but still the best d-pads made for 360 yet...

The MLG controller has a good one too, and the batarang one does as well... so any of the 2 should be ok.

But, if Zaq says he had QC issues with the Hori, then go with the Batarang.

I looked at that one when I was considering options; but aside from the reviews about it being flimsy, are turbo controllers even consistently tourney-legal?
In my experience so long as it has a Turbo Light, which you can prove to work, and is then set to off for the entirety of your match, generally you should be fine. Might vary on a TO-to-TO basis (lol what a phrase)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
In my experience so long as it has a Turbo Light, which you can prove to work, and is then set to off for the entirety of your match, generally you should be fine. Might vary on a TO-to-TO basis (lol what a phrase)
Hey Frothy, I don't think this one has a light. At least, I didn't see where it'd be located.

I use a ps2 pad with the same converter. As long as I'm careful not to touch the analog stick I don't have that problem.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I have really big, long hands, so I think I better remove the sticks if I 'stick' with the xtokki. By the way, all of this info is really helpful, so thanks everyone.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
If you're a die hard xbox 360 controller fan, then you should really look into Mao's post about the face lift.
This is a random review of the actual controller, not the face lift, but he covers the Dpad which is the only difference...

Tim Static

Adminerator
use the same converter, but use one of these:

no analog, no problem ,and those converters work better with PS1 pads anyways

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Gookus only complaint I have with evil is that their customer service blows ass, they charge an insane amount to ship just a face plate, and if you sweat a lot the arrows wear off very fast and eventually the sticker will come off and make a sticky mess in the middle.