What's new

First Game Character/Stance Select in Tournaments?

PwnStar

Noob
Other games have done something with a post character select option such as Grooves or SF4 Ultras, but MK X seems to have a more dramatic effect on the characters from what's being hinted. I assume winner will still be locked into the character and stance they won with, but what about the initial select? Will players pick both at the same time or characters, then stance? I feel it would be best to have each player select a character first, then move onto the stance without being able to back to another character.

WHY?
NRS games are notorious for skewed matchups, so I fear the possibility of someone picking a character, waiting for the other player to select both, then backing out to a different character entirely once they lock. Having each player select stance after characters are locked seems to be a better way to have a much more even matchup since you're making tweeks to soft counter 1 of 3 options, rather than trying to account for the whole board x 3 on a blind select. This could severely lessen the amount of 8-2 and 7-3 matchups in the first round and allow more characters to have a competitive advantage.

IF WE DON'T?
We'll likely see a trend of first match always being designated to the safest matchup picks and might leave many characters and stances solely reserved for a counterpick in the 2nd and 3rd game. Some characters may lack a balanced option and may be forced into an easily countered stance if you intend to run them as a main and are forced to blind pick. It also means we'll likely see the same stances picked in first rounds rather than a variety due to people wanting to avoid being hard countered.

MIND GAMES!
This also leads to better mind games. Example: Your character may have 2 of 3 options that are strong against my character. My character has 1 balanced stance that goes about 5-5 with each, a stance that goes 7-3 or 3-7 based on which of the 2 you picked, and a 3rd which normally is 4-6...but has gimicks that can wreck an ignorant opponent. I can play safer, gamble on the assumption you prefer the one that gives me a 7-3, or test your character knowledge on a gimick set up. It also rewards players for knowing the opponent's options to make the best pick they can.

Overall I think it leads to much more exciting and competitive options to choose stance after characters are locked.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think of this: after the two players choose a char then they go to another screen (so they can't go back) and choose the variation (stance, style, etc) hidding it from the opponent, as when you choose your group order in KOF XIII; for example, if you press square you select variation 1, triangle for variation 2 and circle for variation 3. The only problem I see in this is that if the last player who select his char make a mistake, well, there isn't going back.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I'd like to see the variation just not shown in a list with your choice being shown, bind them to X Y Z buttons and show it in the loading screen once the picking has been done. NRS could just have a tournament mode that does this pretty easily.