What's new

Films You've Watched this Summer

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Hi, I figured I'd take advantage of the off topic forum to talk about one of my hobbies, film.

I was wondering what everyone has been watching recently and what they would reccomend to the rest of TYM.

Here's a list of my recent favorites:

Beyond The Hills
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Hold the Dark
Suspiria
Too Old to Die Young (Television)

Beyond the Hills (2012)

What have you guys been watching, and what are your favorite genres/directors? Feel free to post trailers or screenshots!

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Beyond the Hills is a Romanian religious drama set in an Orthodox Christian monastery. It centers on two young women who were previously engaged in a deeply compassionate relationship, having grown up together in an orphanage. They grew up and apart from each other. One turned to monastery life and the other chose to head west to Europe. The struggle to maintain their friendship is strained when one of them grows increasingly distraught at the fact that the woman she once loved will not leave her austere life as a nun behind to be with her again.

It's not really a love story, and the events that transpire in the film are tragic, building up into a maelstrom of fear and doubt that shakes even the most devout believers to the core. God is testing their mettle, but will they buck under the pressure?

Need I mention the story is based on actual events?

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I mostly watch tv series, I find that most movies that come out these days are disappointing. Tho finding old gems is my thing and I recently watched Snowpiercer and that was AMAZING. I never heard about it before, it's weird that most great movies aren't advertised as much as, for example, Marvel movies are. I love thrillers and action movies, anything with detectives or cops is my guilty pleasure. I re-watch Kill Bill and Mad Max: Fury road more than once a year. They're always fun to watch alone or with people.

I also love early 00s comedies, kinda like She's The Man. These movies were genuinely funny back then and spontaneous. Today the jokes are cringe and lack that unpredictable punch.

Dark Pheonix was the worst movie I watched this summer and this year even, it was so bad I just wanted to die the whole time.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
What We do in the Shadows is absolutely hilarious. It's one of those movies that seems really dumb at first but then it embraces the silliness to the fullest and the entire project just works!

I plan on watching Ari Aster's "Midsommar" later next month. Dramas, Thrillers, and Dark/Psych Thrillers are my favorite genre. I also like some trashy horror movies from time to time.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I had not watch any good movie this summer, but as Vsalyer said Snowpiercer is awesome and I would recommend to anyone this movie from Turkey: Winter Sleep (original title: Kis Uykusu). :).

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers. Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, True Grit.

Fargo and No Country for Old Men are probably my favorites.

I finally got around to watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse, that was pretty great, and I think it just became available on Netflix, at least in the USA.