What's new

Guide - Summoner Fighting with and against post patch Quan Chi's Zoning by ShujinkyDink

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Who do you think does?
Either Full Auto Jacqui or Cybernetic Kano.

Probably Full Auto Jacqui. Machine gun punishes and/or checks other fireballs, cannot be reacted to, and ignores armored moves, including EX interactable objects. The limited range on normal attacks is compensated by the best back walk speed in the game, which is similar to Raven's in Injustice. Unlike Cybernetic Kano, she has a safe 50/50 mix up that leads to 40% of damage with one bar. She has some weaknesses, though. The d+2 is pathetic.

What you fail to mention in the video is that Quan Chi will build less meter now. If you spend more meter on zoning, you will have less for b+2 xx EX rune, which he needs in footsies.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Either Full Auto Jacqui or Cybernetic Kano.

Probably Full Auto Jacqui. Machine gun punishes and/or checks other fireballs, cannot be reacted to, and ignores armored moves, including EX interactable objects. The limited range on normal attacks is compensated by the best back walk speed in the game, which is similar to Raven's in Injustice. Unlike Cybernetic Kano, she has a safe 50/50 mix up that leads to 40% of damage with one bar. She has some weaknesses, though. The d+2 is pathetic.

What you fail to mention in the video is that Quan Chi will build less meter now. If you spend more meter on zoning, you will have less for b+2 xx EX rune, which he needs in footsies.
That's a great point, I'd leave at least one bar for when they get close

Honestly he'll probably be where he should be. The bat recovery was grossly overpowered and I recognized it day 1 in 15 mins. People will have to use it more intelligently as a footsie tool or on a read to punish movement or make anticipatory runes safe and such. I'd like to see it stay out longer, but be summoned less frequently so it better fits that niche.

Also I feel he should have been given more defensive footsie options and less about 50/50 vortex or die. Maybe his b2 should have been a hard knockdown or his low differently animated and uncancellable with his f12 being stronger and strings like that. This is under the pretense other chars were designed differently. As a necromancer and schemer the zoner playstyle fits him better. His ex skull should travel slow and make crazy sounds like mk4. Maybe summoner could have altered al, his specials similar to kenshi and he could have been all about necromancy.

Personally I wish he was more of a pure zoner, or a mind games character with strong utility. Hell be strong because bat is top notch, but Im not really an enjoyer of vortexes. But he won't be top tier because he can't wake up. Maybe ex tele should be very unsafe but have multiple hits of armor to normalize him, because he can't kill from fullscreen anymore so if he's knocked down he gets pooped on.

Personally I feel his sorcerer variation was horribly executed. Armor is his only spell circle of worth. It's good but the chip and meter one cannot be placed and have horrible startup. So they have 0 utility. I think his meter one shouldn't be a circle at all and should be like sagats fireball buff and maybe make the ground purple. They could balance it by making it cost meter/ or giving it a massive cooldown. The chip circle needs faster startup and the ability to be placed as my friend says.

Warlock was by far his laziest variation. I do t want to plagiarize my friends ideas on this one though. I'll just say portals could have been implemented far more creatively and interestingly.