What's new

Fighting game noob

Hi everyone. Been reading up here for a week or so. With me being basically new to fighting games (this is the first I've played since MK on N64) there's a ton of information to absorb.
I enjoy the game but am running into several issues. In any of the multiverses that are skill level 4 or higher I get destroyed. Seems like when I get knocked down the opponent is already into their next combo before I can even stand up. I try blocking which leads to me backing myself into a corner. At that point I might as well just set the controller down til the fight is done. Any help or pointers on being able to escape or successfully play more defensively would be greatly appreciated.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'd say 1) Post a video and 2) Start watching as much good player footage as possible so you can see how other people play.

It'd be helpful to know if you understand things like frames and advantage/disvantage yet.

Also, welcome :)

Secret tip against bosses when you're playing ScareCrow. Just do 123 and d1, and 80% of the time the a.i can't do anything. Just save all your meter if they clip you and then clash, and you'll be good.

In terms of actual advice, I'd say ScareCrow may not be the best character to initially play if this is practically your first fighting game. ScareCrow has poor defense (no wakeup) and requires a bit of tight execution. For easier characters, I'd say obvious ones like Superman/Batman, but also ones like Bane, Aquaman or maybe Robin.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
Secret tip against bosses when you're playing ScareCrow. Just do 123 and d1, and 80% of the time the a.i can't do anything. Just save all your meter if they clip you and then clash, and you'll be good.

In terms of actual advice, I'd say ScareCrow may not be the best character to initially play if this is practically your first fighting game. ScareCrow has poor defense (no wakeup) and requires a bit of tight execution. For easier characters, I'd say obvious ones like Superman/Batman, but also ones like Bane, Aquaman or maybe Robin.
Robin ain't easy dawg

I'd say 1) Post a video and 2) Start watching as much good player footage as possible so you can see how other people play.

It'd be helpful to know if you understand things like frames and advantage/disvantage yet.

I do not understand frames advantage/disadvantage yet. Thank you.

Is there somewhere I can read up on these to get at least a rookie understanding of them.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Is there somewhere I can read up on these to get at least a rookie understanding of them.
So here's a breakdown from a non-pro:

Every single move in any fighting game can be measured in frames: the literal animation frames on a move. Being that most fighting games work at 60 frames per second, we are dividing everything up by 60. So if a move has 7 start-up frames, it takes 7/60ths of a second to start.

That's where we start-start up frames. That is the amount of time it takes a move to actually start. Using that example above, it would take 7 frames before that move would hit your opponent. In this case, you would want an understanding on which of your moves have a small amount of start up frames and which have a small. The moves with a small amount of start up frames have less of a gap that leaves you open for punishment: the 7 frame start up move will be beaten out by a 3 frame start up move should your opponent throw that out at the same time.

That's just when you hit an opponent. If your opponent blocks or you miss (commonly referred to as whiffing), you have to worry about your recovery frames: the amount of time it takes for your character to reset to a "neutral" position that would allow you to make another move, whether it be blocking, attacking, jumping, etc. The recovery frames will leave you either safe or unsafe. If you are safe, that means that your character will reset to that neutral position before your opponent can react: if a move is +2 on recovery then you have 2/60ths of a second before your opponent can do anything. If you are unsafe, your character can be punished as long as your opponent has a move that can hit you in the timeframe: if a move is -5 on recovery then you have 5/60ths of a second before you can do anything.

Most moves will be balanced between damage and frame advantage. A combo string that does a ton of damage is likely unsafe on block and vice-versa. You don't need to keep a calculator on you, just have a general awareness of what combo strings you have are safe and which aren't. If I got anything wrong, someone please correct me and if you need any explanation on terms like 50/50, mix-up, reset (fighting game sense, not the way I used it), or the way we denote combos, feel free to ask.

So here's a breakdown from a non-pro:

Every single move in any fighting game can be measured in frames: the literal animation frames on a move. Being that most fighting games work at 60 frames per second, we are dividing everything up by 60. So if a move has 7 start-up frames, it takes 7/60ths of a second to start.

That's where we start-start up frames. That is the amount of time it takes a move to actually start. Using that example above, it would take 7 frames before that move would hit your opponent. In this case, you would want an understanding on which of your moves have a small amount of start up frames and which have a small. The moves with a small amount of start up frames have less of a gap that leaves you open for punishment: the 7 frame start up move will be beaten out by a 3 frame start up move should your opponent throw that out at the same time.

That's just when you hit an opponent. If your opponent blocks or you miss (commonly referred to as whiffing), you have to worry about your recovery frames: the amount of time it takes for your character to reset to a "neutral" position that would allow you to make another move, whether it be blocking, attacking, jumping, etc. The recovery frames will leave you either safe or unsafe. If you are safe, that means that your character will reset to that neutral position before your opponent can react: if a move is +2 on recovery then you have 2/60ths of a second before your opponent can do anything. If you are unsafe, your character can be punished as long as your opponent has a move that can hit you in the timeframe: if a move is -5 on recovery then you have 5/60ths of a second before you can do anything.

Most moves will be balanced between damage and frame advantage. A combo string that does a ton of damage is likely unsafe on block and vice-versa. You don't need to keep a calculator on you, just have a general awareness of what combo strings you have are safe and which aren't. If I got anything wrong, someone please correct me and if you need any explanation on terms like 50/50, mix-up, reset (fighting game sense, not the way I used it), or the way we denote combos, feel free to ask.
Very good information to have thank you.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
@Juggs didn't you link a video series to a similar thread a while ago, explaining frame data etc.?

Would link it myself but I don't remember it. Might be helpful.

Sonho

POTH makes me question my sexuallity
Do you only have trouble in the Multiverse or just in general?
I would recommend (If you havent already) PND Mustards Getting Started: Scarecrow.

Mustard got some really nice tech in other video's aswell so watch 'em and learn some of 'em :3