What's new

Fighting against NW as Batman.

I main Batman and was wondering if you guys could help me out against the match up. I fought this one NW who would d1 poke with the staff a few times to train you to block low and then jump straight up to start an overhead combo. I figured out his pattern soon enough, but he always managed to push me away before I could retaliate.

He would occasionally do a flip kick or more likely a flying grayson and I could never punish or get in for a combo. I went into practice and noticed that I can't immediately punish either as Batman, although I could back dash punish the flip kick, but if he didn't do it, then I am back at square one of trying to get in again.
I did try punishing or predicting the flying grayson with the grapple, but it only seems possible if you can guess that the opponent will try that move before they actually perform it. Also, the grapple shoots over the top and misses NW at the end of the animation, so you have to predict the move before it happens, which is not really a good way to play.

What can I do as Batman when he does the flying grayson?
What can I do against the flip kick besides predicting it and back dash punishing?
Do you have any tips or ideas for this match up?

TY.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Go into Training mode, set the AI to "record", and spam the Nightwing moves you are having problems with. Hit "select" to reset Training mode, then try a few things with Batman and see what works.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Go into Training mode, set the AI to "record", and spam the Nightwing moves you are having problems with. Hit "select" to reset Training mode, then try a few things with Batman and see what works.
I went into practice and noticed that I can't immediately punish either as Batman, although I could back dash punish the flip kick, but if he didn't do it, then I am back at square one of trying to get in again.
I did try punishing or predicting the flying grayson with the grapple, but it only seems possible if you can guess that the opponent will try that move before they actually perform it.
Hehe, seems like you didn't read his post; he already tried it in practice mode -- he's looking for help with the matchup.

As a NW player, I can tell you that Flying Grayson is indeed safe on block. It does have a limited range though, and you can harass NW with bats from outside that range. It can be tough to get in on him in Staff mode, but that was the intent.

Don't be afraid to use double jumps to get above the flying grayson and b1; also try seeing if Batman's Scatter Bombs will hit him coming in. Keep bats and batarangs on screen to make him uncomfortable, but watch out for that ground spark.

Remember that using the trait bats will allow you to get in for free; so if you're having trouble getting in, wait till you have the bats, set them free and follow them in. Once in, cross him up and use your air mobility for mixups. Don't stay standing in front of him or he will wreck you with the staff.

SilverKeyMan

Hehe, seems like you didn't read his post; he already tried it in practice mode -- he's looking for help with the matchup.
I guess my reading comprehension is a little lacking first thing in the morning... =P

skateblind add me on PSN with a message that you want to go into training mode. Next time I'm on we'll practice this.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

SilverKeyMan: I am in the UK and although I have one of the best bandwidths and pings in the country, I doubt it will be quick enough to play with someone across the ocean, but I will add you and we can try anyway.

CrimsonShadow: Thanks, I didn't think about trying scatter bombs. It is my least used special, so it is worth a try to see how to works.

Chuckychuck: Grab is a good option, but a parry might get me in trouble more than it would get me out, although it wouldn't hurt to try it occasionally. They might start respecting that option and give me room to set up my own attack.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So I tried it out, and the scatter bombs does stuff it, but it has to be timed correctly. I feel bad coming up with tech against my own character, but around medium range, if you scout a flying grayson you can duck it and uppercut him as he flies in for a combo. Also in close try b23 followed by a double jump jumpin if he's just spamming stuff. I'm not a Bataman player, but maybe that can help get you started.

So I tried it out, and the scatter bombs does stuff it, but it has to be timed correctly. I feel bad coming up with tech against my own character, but close to medium range, if you scout a flying grayson you can duck it and uppercut him as it comes in for a combo. Also in close try b23 followed by a double jump jumpin if he's just spamming stuff. I'm not a Bataman player, but maybe that can help get you started.
If you can figure out what options Batman has against NW, then you can use that to your advantage in the future. ;) TY

SilverKeyMan

Flying Grayson or Flip Kick - Block and punish with b113 combo. This will beat out ANY of Nightwing's follow-up moves, including d1.

When Nightwing is in Escrima stance, he only has one string that hits low (b13), and that last hit is both a low hit and a hard knockdown. If you ALWAYS block high, you'll avoid his other strings but you'll take 0.10% chip and 7.00% from the unblocked low knockdown. After awhile you'll see this one coming.

When Nightwing is in Staff stance he has some mixup options:
  • 1b1 (Mid-Low)
  • 1f1 (Mid-High)
  • 1d3 (Mid-Low Knockdown)
  • 1f2 (Mid-Overhead)
Go into practice and learn the animations to predict how to best block them.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Flying Grayson or Flip Kick - Block and punish with b113 combo. This will beat out ANY of Nightwing's follow-up moves, including d1.

When Nightwing is in Escrima stance, he only has one string that hits low (b13), and that last hit is both a low hit and a hard knockdown. If you ALWAYS block high, you'll avoid his other strings but you'll take 0.10% chip and 7.00% from the unblocked low knockdown. After awhile you'll see this one coming.

When Nightwing is in Staff stance he has some mixup options:
  • 1b1 (Mid-Low)
  • 1f1 (Mid-High)
  • 1d3 (Mid-Low Knockdown)
  • 1f2 (Mid-Overhead)
Go into practice and learn the animations to predict how to best block them.
Don't mean to be a dick (the rude kind lol) but f1 is the low and b1 is the high.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
I wont say that I would have a lot of knowledge about batman but i would think that his parry would be great against nightwing

ChillGeorge507

Smooth Criminal
Ok, but what about the ducking opponents...The Nw´s hitbox is really low... he gets Meter really fast while he´s zoning you... and the batman´s overheads are really slow! Also he doesn´t havc any wakeup option against Nw... Batman´s JIN2 whiffs if he´s ducked and press d1..

7r17r1

Noob
If Batman manage to have one or two bats out and some more in stock (2-1 or 1-2 basically), then he can get in with the bats nearly freely, especially if Nightwing is in staff stance because it's nearly impossible to dodge the bats with the staff's jump
And once he is in, he can use the bats that are in stock to trait cancel his string for some very dirty mix up

I don't think it's a good idea for Nightwing to zone Batman too much, since it allows Batman to manage his bats the way he want, once the bats are set up it's very risky for Nightwing to... well.. do anything

But Nightwing can play a keep away strategie if Batman doesn't manage his bats too well, especially if Batman tries to get in from far away with his jump, jump that is insanely good at close range to mix up, but very poor from a distance against Nightwing's flying grayson. Batman's jump is too fast and too low to avoid a flying grayson

So, don't jump, manage your bats, abuse b23 to avoid Nightwing getting on you, and mix a lot once you are in

Nightwing's staff is not very good against Batman