What's new

General/Other - Vicious Ferra Toss pressure inconsistencies/strategy

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
I've found that canceling into ferra toss on block is the main way I start my Viscous pressure(on wake up I almost always just OS against armored wake ups, and if it hits I'll use a cross up jump in to do a safe mix up. Just how I play the character). After getting frustrated with the hurtboxes of some female characters, and constantly forgetting some get a free pass on pressure strings, I decided to take note of any inconsistencies some pressure strings have vs certain women of mkx. All of these normals/strings are being canceled into close ferra toss.

Jacqui
F2xx - hit consistently from my testing
B121xx from my testing it was usually hitting her, missed about one out of every ten attempts
11xx - at point blank range it whiffes consistently, but at a range where only the second one connected it seemed to consitantly land

Cassie
F2xx - a point blank it mostly whiffs(feels random), outside of that range it works as a blockstring
B121xx - almost always whiffs
11xx - Whiffs point blank, but hits with proper spacing

Kitana
F2xx - was hitting consistenly while testing, but I dont completely trust this one
B121xx - at most ranges it whiffs consistently, especially if she returns to standing block during the cancel into toss. If only the last 1 hits at max range then it hits consistently
11xx - Hits consistenly if the opponent stayed ducking, but standing during the toss animation makes it whiff consistenly.

Millena
F2xx - unless your max range or close to it it will whiff
She is tiny so the other two strings both whiff. Will hit at max range, but I personally wouldn't even risk it on her hurtboxes. Ball also whiff punishes well

Sonya
F2xx - a point blank it mostly whiffs(feels random), outside of that range it works as a blockstring
B121xx at most ranges it whiffs consistenly. At a range were just the 1 hits at max range it hits pretty consistently
11xx - at most ranges it whiffs consistenly, but I was able to get it to hit by being at max range(both hits landing at max range, and whiffing the first 1 and the second 1 landing at max range)

Devorah
Same as Millena, soo tiny

As far as these inconsistencies go...I'm not sure why they happen. It may be like Jacqui combos, and have something to do with the opponents breathing animation. Especially with F2xxferratoss it seemed like the pushback was exactly the same, yet sometimes Sonya/Cassie would just get hit. Regardless somd things to think about, and some micro strategies

- Against all the females there is a perfect range that b121/11 will hit. That range is just difficult to find with moving opponents, and usually requires you to whiff your first hit(good players will whiff punish you)

- All of these work just fine against a cornered opponent because ferra will not pass the corner wall

- If the opponent blocks the hit before xxferratoss standing, they are jailed into standing to block the ferra toss. If you are good at hit confirming all of these can still be used on reaction. F2xxferra toss jails them into crouching though so not that

-Viscous players should know that only f2xxferratoss is a block string, but the opponent has to armor out of the others or the blockstrings continues. If the opponent doesn't have an armored launcher, and you know the string of choice will hit, the risk is much lower for you.

-If the opponent respects you after a toss it opens up the F2/X-ray mix up(shitty mix up imo, but xray is plus. After xray they have to armor or respect b121, opening up a second mix up). The respect also opens up a stagger b121xxferratoss, three loops of this give you a bar and 12% chip

-B3xxferra toss has enough pushback to work on everyone, and must be armored out.

-If the opponent returns to standing to make the toss whiff your facked mate, don't try to pressure women like that.

-Before the recent patch b121 would whiff over some females heads at certain ranges, even if they blocked the first hit. That doesn't seem to happen anymore so yay

-Though you get lackeys godlike jab when you toss ferra, you don't get his overhead(even though it's a 20+ frame move that you can react to.). Since you lose all your specials with ferra gone you can only mix up after a toss with X-ray. If I could change anything about this character it would be to get that slow overhead when I toss ferra lol

I don't think these inconsistencies need to be fixed because of the fact that standing for the last hit into xxferratoss jails the opponent standing. Against female opponents another mind game of canceling into b12xxtuckncharge, and the already present 1xxcommand grab allows you to use these strings for pressure again. I'm sure Vicious players have experienced these inconsistencies, this just gives you a quick list on who you can't confidently do these strings on + a little strategy for what to do once you've done them universally

Toss that b!tch!

Can you explain the wake up OS and Ferra Toss cancels on block a bit more? There's a lot of information on how it whiffs, but I'm trying to follow the overall concept--sorry if it's obvious :(

*EDIT- Just to clarify, I understand that if you cancel ferra toss close on F2, it's an automatic OS in the game engine, you don't need to do anything. I was more asking about the wake up thing you mentioned, rereading my post I realized that wasn't very clear. Thank you.

Last edited:

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Can you explain the wake up OS and Ferra Toss cancels on block a bit more? There's a lot of information on how it whiffs, but I'm trying to follow the overall concept--sorry if it's obvious :(

*EDIT- Just to clarify, I understand that if you cancel ferra toss close on F2, it's an automatic OS in the game engine, you don't need to do anything. I was more asking about the wake up thing you mentioned, rereading my post I realized that wasn't very clear. Thank you.
The OS for armored wake ups is canceling d3 into ex command grab or ex tuck and charge with a certain timing. Just like the f2 OS the special will come out on block or if they wake up, and just the d3 will come out if it hits. Some wake ups can clear both options(scorpions ex tele). The same kind thing that the thread about overrun was talking about, only using d3 to the special only comes out on block/wake up attack.