What's new

Question fd2 vs. f3 in corner.

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
So i'm looking to add fd2 on opponents wake-up in the corner to my game but I don't see it's advantage over f3.

f3 is easier to land, is also armored, and leads to a full combo where fd2 can be a bitch to input alone nevermind trying to input a command grab afterwards.

f3 also recovers quicker but according to the game doesn't come out as fast as f2d. The thing with f2d is sometimes you have to hold the 2 a little longer to make the overhead come out, so wouldn't that increase the amount of frames it takes to come out?

Thoughts?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Honestly if you are in the corner it depends what you are starting the oki with. If its less than +40, then f.2d will hit meatier.
f.3 will cross-up but its slow and telegraphed, and while you can cancel the f.2d for the anti-wake-up invuln tech. f.2d double punch will be a double overhead. At level 3, f.2d also receives armor and projectile invuln. That armor is also free.

Not to knock f.3, its good and it can force some REALLY ambiguous cross-ups. Its just harder to manage with the big clunky animation. Speed is pressure, and the ability to cancel is amazing.

PoweredbyProtein

Eternal student
Not to knock f.3, its good and it can force some REALLY ambiguous cross-ups. Its just harder to manage with the big clunky animation. Speed is pressure, and the ability to cancel is amazing.
I wasn't aware of that. What combos lead into a situation where f.3 will cross up?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I wasn't aware of that. What combos lead into a situation where f.3 will cross up?
MB double punch/venom upper in the corner will cause Bane to sometimes flip over the opponent and land on the other side.
Doesn't work on big bodies, but gives characters like Kf something to think about.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
f2d is good for setting up the f3 crossover, a few examples: f2d2~instant f3 (crossover) / f2d~MB double punch~instant forward dash into f3 (crossover, does not work with any level of debuff), f2d does also get the armour on level 3 so it's something you should want to be doing alot in level 3 over f3.

f3 is overall the better option in most situations. it leads to more damage and is actually + on block instead of negative like f2d, on block you're at enough advantage to guarantee a standing 2.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Isn't F.3 +8 on block? Not arguing which is better here, but I do want to get the data right.