What's new

General/Other F1

Zenrot

Noob
Hey everyone, I understand that f1 is an amazing check and that I should use it more often, but I don't quite understand how to properly apply it to neutral outside the corner.

A few people have given me a few examples:
- Check opponents on knockdown with f1 into scoop/3 mixup
- f1 check, b1
- f1, tick throw

But I just haven't been able to adequately apply these steps or any of them yet, and I was wondering if any of you could lend some insight to proper use of this tool. Thanks!

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
F1 is + on block

So if you do f1 then b23 they have to respect it, I don't think they can even jump out

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
+3 is a LOT of advantage for general purposes. Many characters lack 6f d1s, so if you stick to Aquaman's fastest moves after blocked f1, you can make people pay dearly for disrespect. Consider the following from +3:

- d1 is effectively a 3f move, downside is you're disadvantage on block, but you can use the advantage on hit to stage a new bait and/or mixup with the same options.
- f1 again is effectively a 4f move and even after pushback from blocking the 1st f1, the 2nd one may still reach and combo into f13~whatever for a minor combo. And in the corner you can get much longer combos from f13.
- b1 is effectively a 6f move, stands on par with most char's fastest moves, period. If they jump back and get AA'ed by b12, you may be able to confirm a minor juggle on hit.
- f13 can be jumped or back dashed out of, but will blow up button presses of any kind. Opponent is at too much disadvantage to MB b3 or f3. And of course f13 is +2 on block.

Once the opponent stops mashing and respects these options after f1, you can start staggering your strings to invite people to try and jump/backdash away and get whiff punished, or creep back a bit to invite a forward jump or poke, and react to AA or counter poke respectively. And if they commit hard to down-backing (or I guess just "downing" in this game), you can start chucking overheads at them or walking up and throwing them. I would say default to the anti-mash options described above if you're not sure what your opponent will do, and switch to the subtler options described in this paragraph if they're not mashing anymore (or ever).

Zenrot

Noob
Thanks a lot, great info here. So basically I can use this string to safely apply pressure and learn opponents reactionary habits without putting myself at too much risk?

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Thanks a lot, great info here. So basically I can use this string to safely apply pressure and learn opponents reactionary habits without putting myself at too much risk?
its great up close but that's not really where aquaman shines,you need to be keeping them around b1 distance or just outside. yeah at point blank range f1 is a great tool f13 and f1 scoop are both great mixups.

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
use F13 after your D1 conencts. it's a frame trap. people usually expect you to D1 mash and then they'll try to D1 mash back, but it's a frame trap that will get you a combo. if they start blocking it, you can do the tick throws and other stuff you mentioned.
same with a blocked mb water shield, but i think you have to use B1 after that because it has more range. let's hope F13 doesn't get nerfed like they said its going to be.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
f13 to +0 on block isn't a bad nerf at ALL IMO. In certain matchups you want to avoid using the 2-hit string anyway because 1-frame parries can interrupt it (i.e. against Frost you want to use it sparingly, if at all -- maybe once or twice to make her start wanting to parry, then start baiting the parry with f1, wait, b1. . . -- so you don't get parried and lose advantage, or worse). f1 standalone will still be +3 and that's pretty huge for a 7f move.

And at +0 they can ONLY use 6-7f moves to disrespect f13 spam (assuming a frame or two of slack on the Aquaman player's input for a second f1). This limits most characters to d1 and d2 for interrupts. If you bait and block d1, they're almost always at disadvantage and you can launch another f1 for a fresh frame trap. If you bait and block d2, that's even better, because most (all?) of those are full combo punishable on block. So yeah, Aquaman DID get off pretty light on this patch, lol.