What's new

Strategy Expanding on the vortex and practical applications.

So i watched Vulcan Hades stuff and was impressed. I have said it a few times. The idea of a character having a standing reset that allows u to hit them while they are still in hit stun is STRONG. Killer frost, bat girl, et cetera have this ability. They are able to maintain safe pressure while mixing u up. As i say in the video, sinestro will have to focus on cross ups for true mix ups as he lacks a low starter :( If sinestro had a low launcher he would have a vortex as good as frost. he doesn't so lets work with what we have. hades video is really good.

i want to focus on meterless/traitless options. trait should be saved to make up for sinestro's short comings. i will never burn it in a combo unless it is to kill or full screen (end with trait while they are airborn and you can get another full trait charge! thanks pig!)

anyways.. just watch

the issue comes if you play someone that knows how to block. hades concepts showed us a way to hit confirm and keep the pressure relatively safe.

i just saw hades update lol. ok guys he does a really good job utilizing the jump 2 reset but didn't really get into the frame properties. his update includes a few videos that are MUST WATCH. specially the vortex without trait.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Good stuff matt

I was using this all night in games and found that after JI2 if u wait a ms literally a mili second the crossover 1 will hit but if you immediately jump after ji2 it'll whiff.

Also the axe hardly hits on cross over 3 from this distance but w trait u can do cross over 3 trait b3 for about 44% or the whole situation over again. Combing this stuff w d1 reset options will create headaches for opponents

I missed this thread lol. That's pretty much the setup Pig was talking about yesterday.

The tricky part is to be able to make j1/j3 ambiguous after JI2. But since j2 is so much +frames you can afford to wait for a while or even take a tiny step backwards then jump forward j1/j3. Still need to test this more.

Good stuff on expanding on the idea. This is getting pretty good. Also I didn't know Axe of Terror was +5 on block, that's awesome.

Brahma

Noob
Another setup I've been playing with is b13 ji2 22 xx shackles. From here you ji2, but the timing of the ji2 determines which side you land on. Early ji2 (just after the jump apex) lands Sinestro on the opposite side, ji2 later than that (or an earlier ji1 for easier timing) lands him on the same side. As long as you don't link your followup attack, it will reset the combo. Works on everyone except tall character like Bane/DDay/etc. AFAIK.

I'll use the same side ji1~d1 reset a few times, then do the opposite side ji2 and reset with b2 and it surprises people pretty well. This is a little easier to react to than the ji2, ji2 ambiguous crossup stuff, but it's another option that can mess with people, and I think in lieu of a solid low starter, he needs to have at least a few tricky setups like this to cycle through on opponents.

Let me know what you guys think.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Another setup I've been playing with is b13 ji2 22 xx shackles. From here you ji2, but the timing of the ji2 determines which side you land on. Early ji2 (just after the jump apex) lands Sinestro on the opposite side, ji2 later than that (or an earlier ji1 for easier timing) lands him on the same side. As long as you don't link your followup attack, it will reset the combo. Works on everyone except tall character like Bane/DDay/etc. AFAIK.

I'll use the same side ji1~d1 reset a few times, then do the opposite side ji2 and reset with b2 and it surprises people pretty well. This is a little easier to react to than the ji2, ji2 ambiguous crossup stuff, but it's another option that can mess with people, and I think in lieu of a solid low starter, he needs to have at least a few tricky setups like this to cycle through on opponents.

Let me know what you guys think.
youre getting a cross up from ji2?

Brahma

Noob
Yeah, the combo sets up perfect distance for an ambiguous crossup. The ji2 always hits as it's part of the combo, but the side he lands on is dependent on the timing of that ji2. They can see what side he lands on and block accordingly but it can be a tough block if you aren't expecting it.