What's new

Match Footage - Shirai Ryu Even Though It's A Struggle, I Refuse To Give Up On Takeda

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
Hi guys. I'm still in the process of convincing myself that I'm not just a glutton for punishment by maining Takeda. While I'm on this journey, I'm trying to make a concerted effort to get a least a little better by learning to utilize his range properly.

Here are some of my matches from earlier today. Critiques and suggestions are welcome!

SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. C88 CANEFIELD (ERMAC):

SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. CLOUDXWOLF19 (KUNG LAO):

SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. LATTE LOLLIPOP (D'VORAH):

SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. THE SYMB0L (JAX):

SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. BASEL FTW (TAKEDA):

st9rm

viennality.com
Takeda isn't as bad as people say, if a character like Reptile can make top 8 at Evo. Then it's possible to do it with takeda.
takeda imo is a decent char
all the needs, is faster startup with his ex fist flurry and people will be picking him up
(which i don't like though, since i hate tier hoes)

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
SOULWARRIOR 71K (TAKEDA) vs. C88 CANEFIELD (ERMAC):
First off, nice matches yesterday @SOULWARRIOR 71K ! We played each other twice in Ranked.. Looking forward to some more mirror match sessions with you soon!

I only got to see one match so far, but here are my thoughts:

(Side Note: It might help to get more feedback if you list the variation in the video titles as well :))

vs (Ermac)

Let's look at the positives:

@0:15 after the throw you kept him at bay with the B2 kunai mix up... I would suggest mixing B21 with both Kunai's and with 2+4 (overhead).. Also don't be afraid to mix in B3 or F1/F12 strings with your B21 after the Kunais to keep the opponent guessing.

@1:05 I like how you kept reading his jumps throughout the match and would teleport punish him. I would suggest the following after the teleport (whichever is easier for you to pull off consistently):

1) NJP 4 EX Spear B2 Spear for 9 hit 34% damage or

2) F1 24 EX Spear B2 Spear for 10 hit 30% combo

@1:09 NJP has been working well for you in this matchup. I would combo it for 30% damage with the following: NJP, 4, EX Spear, B2, Spear .. Not sure if that double uppercut is something that you use regularly or was just right place right time lol.. Definately go into the lab and check your NJP combo options so that any combo you prefer is 2nd nature every time you connect that NJP.

@1:20 The jump in was read perfectly with your EX Tele.. It may seem like the easiest and guaranteed punish to end with an uppercut but more damage can be done pretty safely/consistently if you hit the lab to practice EX tele combo options.. Something like EX tele, NJP, 4, Spear would have done more damage (23% vs 19%) and more importantly would've kept him in the corner as well...

@2:21 Another great read for their jump.. But only settled for 19% when the match was almost over and you had an bar of meter waiting. Could've either done the 6 hit for 23% as mentioned previously or could've used the extra bar you had for a 10 hit 30% punish as follows: EX tele NJP 4 EX Spear B2 Spear

----------------------------

Let's look at the negatives:

@0:24 EX Spear
@0:26 EX Roll

Lost two bars of meter and got punished after the EX Roll. No need to take these type of risks at the beginning of a match as it could set the tone in your opponents favor. Bar can be used in much better situations and even can be save for guaranteed combo punishes not necessarily for risky combo starters... Towards the end of a match when opponents are already used to your tendencies then I would understand taking those risks but not at match start.

@0:40 EX Kunais Be weary of throwing this out against any teleporting characters (Scorpion Ermac ect) as they can just as easily ex tele you for the punish if not timed properly

@0:52 EX Tele I've made this same mistake more often then not.. And for me I would use it when their health was low to try to close the match (more nerves then anything else going about it this way) but you had so much health left and Ermac has not been rushing you at all, so you couldve held off to set up your spacing once again...

----------------------------

Overall I would like to see you use the opportunities you have to maximize combo output and damage. Settling for the more guaranteed/less damage uppercut finish is good when you are still struggling with combos (or when the uppercut will finish the match) but your leaving alot of potential damage on the table. When better opponents realize that, they will make you pay and take more risks themselves if they are only being hit with an 18% vs 30% punish...

Will try to look at the others another time and provide more feedback :)

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
takeda imo is a decent char
all the needs, is faster startup with his ex fist flurry and people will be picking him up
(which i don't like though, since i hate tier hoes)
Yeah, most of the time I can't fathom some of the buffs people would give to takeda. But I think his punches should definitely be faster, that little waiting period he has in startup needs to go.

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
First off, nice matches yesterday @SOULWARRIOR 71K ! We played each other twice in Ranked.. Looking forward to some more mirror match sessions with you soon!

Overall I would like to see you use the opportunities you have to maximize combo output and damage. Settling for the more guaranteed/less damage uppercut finish is good when you are still struggling with combos (or when the uppercut will finish the match) but your leaving alot of potential damage on the table. When better opponents realize that, they will make you pay and take more risks themselves if they are only being hit with an 18% vs 30% punish...

Will try to look at the others another time and provide more feedback :)
@Pleasa Thanks for the feedback!

I think we went 1:1 if I remember correctly. To be honest, when I'm playing ranked, the only matches that I get excited about are Takeda mirrors. I feel like I'm actually playing against a unique style more often than not (as opposed to say all Scorpions going for that vortex, Raidens pushing you to the corner, Sub Zeros slip and slide ice and hide etc.)

Yeah, most of the time I can't fathom some of the buffs people would give to takeda. But I think his punches should definitely be faster, that little waiting period he has in startup needs to go.
In my not so humble opinion, I think Takeda is the slowest ninja of all time. It's pathetic how easily he can be poked out of ex moves simply because it's start up is too slow coupled with the terrible armor. Either speed him up or give him at least one move with Kung Lao type armor.