What's new

Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side

Xavier Pendragon

Eternal Champion
Pretty unknown 1995 fighting game for the Sega CD. Where I got my username from in fact.
Anyway, I've actually never played anyone online on this game in my life, so I could organise something with someone. My personal opinion on the tiers. (I haven't added the Eternal Champion (God Tier probably) Dark Champion (unsure, probably top tier) and the Animals, because the animals are either too good or too bad)
Top Tier: Blast, Trident, Slash, Shadow, Larcen, Midknight, Senator, Jetta
Mid Tier: Xavier, Thanatos, Blade, Ramses, Dawson, Raven
Low Tier: Riptide, R.A.X, Chin Wo

Very brutal game as well, makes MK's fatalities look like an E game. Midknight's stage is the best for gruesome deaths IMO. Also, Ermac and Baraka borrow Xavier and Trident's Vendetta's respectively (although Baraka does more and chops the head, arms and legs off).

I do think this game may have competitive potential, albeit only a small community. Plays a bit like Street Fighter, but with a combo system in it. Inner Strength also offers some cool options. The AI is pretty cheap though.

The story is very good as well, The Eternal Champion can save people from their untimely deaths, and only one of them can return to their time, and hopefully survive their death and live on to prosper and hopefully change the world for the good.

I'd recommend this game to any fan of 2D fighters.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Damn, I loved that game when I was younger. I always played as Blade and Larcen, because they were just badass to me! Never beat it though, the Eternal Champion was ridiculous...
I never played the second, but I really wish they didn't stop production on the third :(

Xavier Pendragon

Eternal Champion
Damn, I loved that game when I was younger. I always played as Blade and Larcen, because they were just badass to me! Never beat it though, the Eternal Champion was ridiculous...
I never played the second, but I really wish they didn't stop production on the third :(
The first did have problems, it wasn't bad, but the second game completely trumps it.
The EC is VERY cheap, even to this day, I have to use savestates with my mains (Slash, Thanatos, Xavier and Dawson).
The reason they stopped the third is because Sega of Japan thought it was affecting the sales of Virtua Fighter and cancelled EC. To this day, I still hold a grudge against Virtua Fighter for having the third game cancelled.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Only played the genesis one.

Remember very little about it, always played as Xavier and the Cyborg dude because he had a really cool looking fireball.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Yeah, I remember the story mode for the Third was supposed to be pretty unique, like have a really deep time travel theme and some teams and stuff. Would have been great.
I wish I could play the second, but I'd have no clue where to even find it, but the pirate girl looks cool.

What were the problems of the first? I never really encountered any

Xavier Pendragon

Eternal Champion
Only played the genesis one.

Remember very little about it, always played as Xavier and the Cyborg dude because he had a really cool looking fireball.
R.A.X you mean? That fireball was his only projectile and it took INSANELY long for it to go off and for him to recover. It did look cool though, I admit.

Yeah, I remember the story mode for the Third was supposed to be pretty unique, like have a really deep time travel theme and some teams and stuff. Would have been great.
I wish I could play the second, but I'd have no clue where to even find it, but the pirate girl looks cool.

What were the problems of the first? I never really encountered any
Some people thought Rasputin was going to be in the third as well. The second I play on my computer, wasn't too hard to find.

The first wasn't bad, it's just the second one completely aced it. The controls were a bit clunky, the sound was a bit mediocre, but that got improved by the CD format, and the gameplay wasn't as smooth in the first one.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
His name was RAX and he was a cyborg...
>_>

Some people thought Rasputin was going to be in the third as well. The second I play on my computer, wasn't too hard to find.

The first wasn't bad, it's just the second one completely aced it. The controls were a bit clunky, the sound was a bit mediocre, but that got improved by the CD format, and the gameplay wasn't as smooth in the first one.
Oh, I understand. I thought there were some major glitches, heh. Thanks for reminding me of the game!

Xavier Pendragon

Eternal Champion
Alright, I may upload some fights of me against the AI. In the mean time, here's another player beating the Dark Champion as Larcen. This is the second game BTW.

Owerbart

I miss you
Awesome hidden jewel. Pretty nice game with awesome playability. I mained Larcen.

Xavier Pendragon , could you be a little more specific and get us some info on why do you have your Tier List like that? I'm 100% Midknight is Top tier, but some chars in the same Tier fell a little short to him IMO.

Xavier Pendragon

Eternal Champion
Awesome hidden jewel. Pretty nice game with awesome playability. I mained Larcen.

Xavier Pendragon , could you be a little more specific and get us some info on why do you have your Tier List like that? I'm 100% Midknight is Top tier, but some chars in the same Tier fell a little short to him IMO.
Top Tier: Blast, Trident, Slash, Shadow, Larcen, Midknight, Senator, Jetta
Mid Tier: Xavier, Thanatos, Blade, Ramses, Dawson, Raven
Low Tier: Riptide, R.A.X, Chin Wo

Blast has a move which is very hard to dodge, unblockable and can instantly dizzy you, as well as very good combos. Trident has amazing combos and a jack of all trades (probably the best character in the game), Slash's Combo to get infinite Inner Strength is very easy, and he also has excellent projectiles, Shadow is a jack of all trades, and has something for every situation, Larcen is also a jack of all trades, and a very easy character to play as, Midknight has amazing normals and good specials, Senator has some very good special moves, and performs like Larcen and Jetta is the fastest characters in the game and very hard to deal with.

Mid Tier: Xavier is a great troll character, but otherwise, he's fairly average. Thanatos has some good combos and is very simple to use, Blade has some awesome combos but is a little clunky, Ramses also has good combos but his special moves are mediocre, I think Dawson should be high tier after playing him some more, he has amazing combos, and he's fast, and Raven has an infinite, but is pretty meh apart from that.

Riptide's moves are very situational, and she's a very hard character to use for little reward, R.A.X can't phase to save his life and is very slow, and Chin Wo's reach is simply awful.