What's new

ESRB confirms M Rating for MK9

Tim Static

Adminerator

Just gotten word via some emails, as well as TRMK.

Full ratings page from ESRB here: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=30816

ESRB said:
Ratings Summary: This is a fighting game in which players engage in one-on-one battles against characters from the fantasy-based Mortal Kombat universe. Players compete in a series of combative rounds in order to advance to different matches throughout the game. Players use swords, guns, chains, spikes, and supernatural attacks (e.g., fire, ice, lightning) to defeat a cast of human-like characters. After an opponent is defeated at the end of a match, players have the option to perform finishing moves called 'Fatalities.' Many of these finishing moves depict over-the-top instances of violence: impalement, bone-crushing body snaps, execution-style gunshots to the head; large blood-splatter effects occur during these sequences, staining characters' bodies and the ground. Several of these exaggerated finishing moves depict characters getting dismembered, ripped or sliced in half, stabbed, set on fire, or set to explode. During the course of the game, female characters sometimes wear revealing outfits that expose large amounts of cleavage; one female fighter is depicted partially nude, covered by a costume of thin cloth strips. Language such as 'f**k' occasionally appears in the dialogue
F**K? Fuck yes!! lol Cant wait to see all of this in action!!! haha

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
"one female fighter is depicted partially nude, covered by a costume of thin cloth strips."

I'm not sure if this is factual but Reptiles' acid spit - does this move gradually burn off parts of the opponent's clothing? I noticed in the Rep vs Sonya video, you can actually see part of her breast after reptile lands 2 or so acid spits on her. The badge on her uniform carefully covers her nipple but I'm guessing this is what they are referring to?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
The game is rated M on the demo, so why the hell wouldn't it be rated M in the real thing? I think everyone and their grandma knew this game was gonna be rated M. This is hardly newsworthy, lol