What's new

Escrima or Staff for Different Matchups

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
Hey everyone, this thread will be a list for what the majority of players feel should be used for certain match ups. This is not a full out match up discussion, this is mostly for an easy to find list for people to refer to.

DuskAlloy

In order
Flash: Staff
Batman:
Cyborg:
Green Arrow:
Superman:
Raven:
Aquaman:
Wonder Woman:
Hawkgirl:
Shazam:
Green Lantern:
Joker:
Harley Quinn:
Solomon Grundy:
Lex Luthor:
Catwoman:
Deathstroke:
Ares:
Killer Frost:
Doomsday:
Sinestro:
Black Adam:
Bane:
Lobo:
Batgirl:
Current Discussion: Batman

DuskAlloy

I think to start we should go in order, lets start with the flash post your opinions

DuskAlloy

Well since no one has commented yet, I will go first, I think vs the flash staff is your go to tool, flash has no air control and he has to come to you due to no projectile. This is where staff flourishes

ruff321

Noob
Flash:Staff. Make him come to you and poke him hard.

Batman:Staff/Escrima For this matchup I use the staff 60% of the time but don't be like me unless you want a jumping kicking Batman 24/7

Cyborg:Staff/Escrima. Escrima for getting in and Staff when you're right next to him.

Green Arrow:Staff

Superman:Staff/Escrima. You gotta utilize between the two or you'll get bodied

Raven: I use staff all the time since she can just laugh at your escrima all day with her far ass grab. DB2 staff is what I mostly use for this match to punish her grabs and her teleporting B.S

Aquaman:Staff ALLLLLLLLL THE WAYYYYY. There's no reason for you to use escrima in this matchup.

Wonder Woman: Haven't fought alot of WW but I mostly use staff cause I'm comfortable with it in this matchup

Hawkgirl: I use staff so that I can punish her trait with flying grayson when she's about to fly. When I'm under her while she does her flying mace thing I just use J2 and then combo. This matchup is not easy though whether you're using escrima or staff.

Shazam: Staff is easier for this matchup

Green Lantern: Staff/Escrima

Joker: Staff

Harley Quinn: Staff

Solomon Grundy: Staff/Escrima. In my personal experience both are good against Grundy since both have really good zoning tools although Escrima has better zoning tools for this matchup. Reason being if you do DB2 MB in staff he'll do MB swamp hands and that grants him armor and trap you after you do your ground pound. This lets Grundy to move in on you. I just use MB wing dings all day for this matchup since he has no way to trap you with swamp hands while you're in the air and if he try to do those armor grabs simply MB wing dings to get past his super armor and sent him far back to the other side of the screen.

Lex Luthor: Not enough MU experience with him. 2000 games in and I have not seen ONE lex luthor. Is he that bad? Anyway I would use staff for this MU since he's big and I like to use staff on big characters.

Catwoman: Escrima for me. Wing dings/Ground Spark to zone her out if you can and then get in on her. I tried using staff most of the time when I use ground pound I get punished for a combo(I forgot what that move is called when catwomen can just dash full screen without getting hurt). Your staff pokes won't do much against her, especially if she's crouching. MB staff spin won't work on a crouching catwoman and so is standing 1.

Deathstroke: Staff(if you ever run into a zoning DS, this is the stance you should stick with).

Ares:Staff all the way. Ground pound beats most of his moves. Even after he threw a projectile if you groundpound it will interrupt the projectile. Ground pound punish alot of his moves and even if he try to get close to you he doesn't have much options close range.

Killer Frost: Escrima I think. I just avoid being on the ground due to her ice slide and use wing dings.

Doomsday: Staff. If he try to supernova you just do MB B3 for punish since Nightwing doesn't have a very good dash in this stance. I also manage to poke Doomsday alot in this stance whenever he get close to me. D1 and DB3 is good tools against his trait.

Sinestro: Staff. About to throw rocks? Flying grayson. About to draw balls at your face? Ground pound. About to get in on you? Poke him hard

Black Adam: Escrima. Stay in the air at all times unless you want to eat food dive/lightning all day long.

Bane: Staff(or escrima). Both are good for this MU in my opinion but Bane shouldn't be a problem for NW users.

Lobo: Lol(staff/escrima. Just zone him)

Batgirl: Staff. Her dive bomb can easily punish most of NW moves. Don't let her get close to your or it's high/low time

When in doubt, use staff.

DuskAlloy

For the next on the list is batman, I believe that staff works well against Batman due to staff's long range which beat out BM dinosaur arms and staff's good air to airs in j2

DuskAlloy

Use both in all matchups.

Use Escrima for mobility until you are in.
That wont slide against a lot of characters, if you try to stay in staff against someone with good air mobility like superman you are going to get blown up but lets not get to supes yet, I want some opinions on the overall best stance against Batman lol

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Catwoman: Staff to keep her a comfortable distance away.
Solomon Grundy: MB Wingdings in Escrima stance, and bounce around like a jackrabbit.

DuskAlloy

Lets keep the discussion in order please lol, so for right now lets focus on batman

Wasn't that just against Brady's Aquamang? I think Staff is the best bet by far in that match-up to begin with.
There was another match that he had earlier in the tournament where he used Nightwing and it was still favoring Staff from what I recall. Was it against a Batman?

For batman I favor staff. Using staff shuts down his ranged game and he has to be careful with calling bats full screen. Staff stance lets you anti air him and keep him out.