What's new

Question - Master of Souls Ermac option select?

zaf

professor
I'm not bothering to learn the OS from B3, B12 or anything really. I understand as the game evolves they will become prevalent and anyone serious about winning will probably need to but I hate the idea of them and would rather lose by my opponent guessing correctly than winning with an OS... plus my execution isn't great especially in a competitive environment.

I generally only bust out the F4/B3 50/50 when I'm losing by a hideous defecit anyway, I think this character can be played safely without the 50/50s for the most part.
Well for someone that wants to learn the OS, and has been practicing them it is a different story =P

I just realized though, how I think that this specific OS with B12/B124 is actually useless....Like it gains you nothing, where as other OS's in the game do gain you something. There are other defensive option selects I learnt how to do with ermac, those are amazing. but this one i am not sure about

Afumba

Noob
@Afumba @Dope Dojo @insignis @Kindred @Error @Metzos @Temjiin

While I was practicing this some more, something hit me..... Aren't these B12 option selects... Kinda useless?

I mean let me break this down for you.

You basically need the opponent to get hit with a B1 or with the second hit (2) for this to work.

- Hitting the opponent with B1 makes sense. You can hit them off a jump in, in footsies, whiff punish etc. From here it is not hard to hit confirm B12 ~ teleport.

- The point of the option select is to be able to convert off the 2 in B12. However, here is my main issue. Who is ever going to get hit by just the 2 ?
I mean, there is literally no reason for anyone you are playing with to get hit by the 2 in B12. There is no gap in between B1 and 2. The mix up with the string is B12 and B124 staggers. So if they really think you were just going to do 2 hits and stop and they wanted to interrupt you, then they would need to block the 2 anyways then press buttons.

So my problem here is that I really do not see a reason to learn this option select. If the B12 is blocked and the opponent is going to press, then the 4 in B124 comes out and not the teleport.

Discuss homies?
Well... you are right. But i wouldnt say its "useless"... it still does stuff for you. With them you dont have to hitconfirm at all and can be a lazy guy.
Also for ppls that have troubles with b12 hitconfirm it can be helpful. As you said though it doesnt improve Ermacs game it just automatises things.

Maybe we should make a list of OS that reflect which OS imrpove Ermac, which are useless and which are just like this one (dont know how to call this category :D)

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
@Afumba @Dope Dojo @insignis @Kindred @Error @Metzos @Temjiin

While I was practicing this some more, something hit me..... Aren't these B12 option selects... Kinda useless?

I mean let me break this down for you.

You basically need the opponent to get hit with a B1 or with the second hit (2) for this to work.

- Hitting the opponent with B1 makes sense. You can hit them off a jump in, in footsies, whiff punish etc. From here it is not hard to hit confirm B12 ~ teleport.

- The point of the option select is to be able to convert off the 2 in B12. However, here is my main issue. Who is ever going to get hit by just the 2 ?
I mean, there is literally no reason for anyone you are playing with to get hit by the 2 in B12. There is no gap in between B1 and 2. The mix up with the string is B12 and B124 staggers. So if they really think you were just going to do 2 hits and stop and they wanted to interrupt you, then they would need to block the 2 anyways then press buttons.

So my problem here is that I really do not see a reason to learn this option select. If the B12 is blocked and the opponent is going to press, then the 4 in B124 comes out and not the teleport.

Discuss homies?

Tbh with you, i havent really paid attention to Ermac's OS's.

zaf

professor
Well... you are right. But i wouldnt say its "useless"... it still does stuff for you. With them you dont have to hitconfirm at all and can be a lazy guy.
Also for ppls that have troubles with b12 hitconfirm it can be helpful. As you said though it doesnt improve Ermacs game it just automatises things.

Maybe we should make a list of OS that reflect which OS imrpove Ermac, which are useless and which are just like this one (dont know how to call this category :D)
naw this is still pretty useless... Having an OS that just hit confirms for you is just laziness. I am going to stop learning this OS now.
If you can do the option select, then you should be able to hit confirm too...

What I am looking to learn is something more along the lines of what Raiden's does for his overhead.

Tbh with you, i havent really paid attention to Ermac's OS's.
all good, just tagging you because.... well... you know

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
naw this is still pretty useless... Having an OS that just hit confirms for you is just laziness. I am going to stop learning this OS now.

What I am looking to learn is something more along the lines of what Raiden's does for his overhead.

Appreciate it.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I only know of Paolo stating that the 1+2+3 OS will be removed, which they did. Havent seen him state anything on these OS beeing removed.
Also lots of ppls are saying these OS are here to stay as there is no official statement on them.

Could be just me having missed that though... if so, would be great if you can point me to Paolos post.
What's the 1+2+3 OS. I know of the normal OS. Is it just OS in general

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
To be honest I haven't put much time into learning it. B12 in and of itself is pretty easy to confirm into teleport or not on block or hit. Like @zaf said, no one is going to block B1 then get hit by B2 unless they're...idk incompetent.

If it proves to be a bit more useful in the future I'll return to it. For now I'm going back to practicing IAB block pressure off of D3 and B12.

Reactions: zaf

Afumba

Noob

Still - if you are a lazy guy its easier to let the mechanic make the choice for you.
Anyway - point taken. :)

In terms of looking... you can OS everything as long as you can cancel the hit... its the only thing that seems to matter. Only things i wasnt able to OS with MoS Ermac were f21d2 & b1d2 and i am sure there is a way to do it as i was able to OS "F2D2, getting the string on block and SoulBall on hit". Ofc you can also OS all of Ermac basic 1 hits.

Raiden makes an unsafe overhead launcher safe with an safe special move - giving him a launcher on hit and staying safe on block.
Now the problem with Ermac compared to Raiden is that he doesnt have a high/low launcher (b3/f4 dont launch) & he doesnt have a safe special unless he uses a bar for exBurst. He also doesnt have any high/low second hits of off which he can cancel out... so this ship is sailed as well.
Further the only launchers Ermac has that he can cancel out of are 222, 34 & f3.

After we remove the laziness factor and the useful factor they are no launchers left to OS :)
Only f34OS is maybe a semi exception... if you go for vortex, the OS should net you more damage.

OSing his f4 is bottom line useless as well. Sure it gets a bit safer but not safe enough to not get punished.

b3 OS gives you a 50/50 knockdown chance on block as you can do it with the low and overhead string... which is at least some sort of second wind. But all outcomes are still punishable if blocked.

Out of all other single hits the only one worth OSing is s1 i think. Its good for pressure and you cant hitconfirm it.
Especially if you OS with lift... with lift you can decide how many hits come out on block 2 or 3 & on hit you always get 1~lift. You basically get 1 hit for free on block if you want lol. This OS might be better for Mystic than MoS though. If you do it 1~OS with anything but lift you get 1 on block/1~special on hit.

Anyways.... talked more than i wanted to :D - you said you use some OS... which are the ones you use?

insignis

Noob
I can't OS :( anyway I believe the best and usefull OS is for b3 into 4 on block. Everything else will be full combo punished. But I failed to learn it

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
I can't OS :( anyway I believe the best and usefull OS is for b3 into 4 on block. Everything else will be full combo punished. But I failed to learn it
I agree. Can't do it either and by the time I think I can pull it off consistently, it will fail and throw me off. Just gonna stick with the b12 hit-confirm. OS are lame anyway