What's new

Strategy Ermac Option Select & Combos

Everyone is going nuts with option selects lately, and with good reason. Ermac has two that I know of, but if there are more feel free to post them here.

I'm not sure of the exact definition of an option select, since this is new to me. But the general idea is, you input an attack and then a special right after. If your opponent blocks, the special will not come out and you won't be punished for it. If they are hit with the cancelled normal, you will get the special. It is a win win situation for you, especially if you are Ermac. His option selects mean combos.

B2 xx Force Lift:

This one is odd. I input B2 1 as if I am going for that string, but then hit down back for the negative edge. I believe you can input B2, d, b, 1 all in a row and it will still work, but I have not tried it so much. From there the combos are just standard BnB.

Deep Jumpkick xx teleport:

The teleport option select only works off of a deep jump kick. If you input the teleport after kicking them in the head, your teleport will still come out and you will get full combo punished unless you are lucky and they let go of block for some reason.

Here are the combos you can use:

DJK xx teleport, 12 xx force lift, F4 (25%)
DJK xx teleport, 22 xx force lift, F4 (29%)
DJK xx teleport, 12 xx force lift, 22 force push. (34%)
DJK xx teleport, 22 xx force lift, 22 xx force push. (38%)
DJK xx teleport, 22 xx force lift, B1 2 F1 (opponent much reach corner), force push. (39%)
DJK xx teleport, 22 xx force lift, FJK xx teleport, D1 xx forcepush. (40%)
DJK(crossover into corner) xx teleport, 22 xx force lift, B1 2 F 1, 22 xx force push. (43%)

I'm not 100% sure about the DJK crossover. I cannot tell if my kick is low enough when it hits to option select out the teleport on block. I think it is legit, but that is a very situational combo anyway.

zaf

professor
the b2 lift option select is not a win win. if they block this, you are -13.

you can say "well, its only -13 and you wont be punished" but people recognize this move and do know how to punish.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

the b2 lift option select is not a win win. if they block this, you are -13.

you can say "well, its only -13 and you wont be punished" but people recognize this move and do know how to punish. i do not find it worth it to use this.

I agree. I thought the DJK was more useful. I only learned about the OS B2 from SwiftTomHanks earlier today in the sektor thread. I've never used it before.

QjonPL

Low Tier Fanatic
There's also no need for risking with osing after DJK, because Ermac can simply hit confirm Lift (or dash 1~Lift) on hit for a standard combo.

There's also no need for risking with osing after DJK, because Ermac can simply hit confirm Lift (or dash 1~Lift) on hit for a standard combo.
Good point on the hit-confirmation. Option selecting doesn't give you any risk imo, but I did forget he could just lift after a hit DJK.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
In the corner you can do a B2 B1 to lift after a DJK also.

zaf

professor
honestly, b2 feints are really good, its just learning how to use them. if you do have a solid b2 game then this can help your game. if you know someone likes to poke a lot, you can try this and see how it goes.

im not sayin over use this. i just mean you can always use buffer to get those lifts when you do win the coin toss. worse case scenario, they block a b2 and you get hit. and that doesnt always mean full combo punish. could just be a poke or jip depending on how people react

Flagg

Noob
Absolutely cannot believe how powerful this guy is.

B21F2, teleport, 22, lift, dash, uppercut, forcepush = 46%

Jp, B11, lift, dash, uppercut, forcepush = 36%

Jp, B21, lift, dash, uppercut, forcepush =43%

QjonPL

Low Tier Fanatic
Jp, B11, lift, dash, uppercut, forcepush = 36%

Jp, B21, lift, dash, uppercut, forcepush =43%
You know you can stack more easy damage from these starters (45 & 50% respectively) without those fancydancy uppercuts & stuff?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I'm not sure of the exact definition of an option select, since this is new to me.
The actual definition of an option select is this: you put in a single sequence of buttons and, by abusing the mechanics of the game, you achieve an optimal outcome.

What you’ve listed here aren’t exactly option selects. Not that they’re not useful notes! But they’re just simply the effects of the game engine working as intended. MK9 really doesn’t have many option selects at all because of the way the engine works.

Here is one of the only true option selects I know of for Ermac: OS EX TKS. You use this as an anti-crossup. As I’m sure everyone knows, TKS is actually a great anti-air for crossups, since it can catch people insanely high in the jump – pretty much when they’re directly overhead! Lets say someone is on your left, jumping over to your right. To do a normal TKS, you input down, left, and hit the 1 right as they’re crossing over you – what was down, forward, 1 is now interpreted by the game as down, back, 1 since they’ve crossed over you. The annoying part is that if you mis-time this at all, the game interprets the movement as down, forward, 1 (which is nothing!) and you eat the crossover jump-in punch.

The OS EX TKP makes this safer by selecting between the EX TKS or blocking. Now, if your timing is correct, you’ll catch your opponent with EX TKS as they cross over you. If its wrong, the game thinks you just did down, forward, 1+block… which isn’t a move, so you’ll just block.

This is the only true OS I know of for Ermac. I’ll be including this in action in my Ermac upcoming video that should be out this Monday.