What's new

Enhanced teleport ideas

Hello all,

I'm an MK addict and I've been maining Raiden since MK9 release. This is my first post here finally, after visiting here every day for about a year :)

I'm trying to adapt to this new patch, and the tele nerf doesn't bother me at all.

The real question is how can we benefit from the new Enhanced Tele? I would love some feedback on this, as I haven't found a single use for it yet.

In fact, its damn near a detriment for me. Lets say a player comes at me with a ground attack, and on reaction, I en tele. I appear very quickly right back in front on this guy, who of course inadvertently hits me with the original attack. The problem I'm having is that the move is way too fast for anyone to get fooled. So it doesn't seem to very useful defensively. Moves like Mileena's tele kick are brutal. She does a tele kick, I en tele on reaction, appear behind her for a brief moment, then I appear right where I was to begin with, in perfect time to catch that kick right to the face.

I haven't found a way to use it in any combos.

How can one use it offensively? The move is so fast...you don't have time to bait any attack.

If anyone has any great ideas plz post them. Plz give actual situations where this move is useful, not just "the move rules, noob!"

Desperately trying to find a use for this move. Plz help.

Also any videos of this move doing something useful would help too, and I'm gonna continue experimenting and try to get some video together myself.

I hope this post grows, because the move sounds so cool "on paper."

See you online xbox live - Rydog J

I'm no expert, but I would suggest (based on my limited experience with it thus far) that you're looking at the move wrong. Think about the differences between the two teleports:

regular teleport: too slow to throw out while your opponent isn't doing anything, but puts you behind and out of the way of attacks.

ex teleport: too fast to throw out while your opponent IS doing something, and it puts you right back in front of attacks.

So you've got to reverse their uses. Throw out the regular one on reaction to avoid things, since if your opponent is committing to a move, he won't recover fast enough to punish your teleport. Then, when your opponent has learned that he can only catch you by playing safer and watching for the regular teleport, you throw out the ex one and punish his punish attempt!

I've been saying for months now that most people use Raiden's teleport incorrectly. It's safER than most other teleports, but it was clearly never intended to be a get-out-of-jail-free card, nor his primary means of mobility. It's meant to be a counter and a threat (where your opponent knows that you can be on him at any moment). Counters are only safe when they're used to counter something. And threats are only good if you don't use them too often. Start thinking of Raiden's regular teleport more like a combination of Smoke's Shake and Cyber Sub's Parry, and I think you'll find it more useful. And making regular teleport more useful is the first step to figuring out how to use ex teleport to supplement regular teleport's weaknesses.

It works better as a counter to the down pokes that own your thunderous soul.
nope, in fact, any sort of d3, d4, whatever quick move is the exact counter to the en tele. Keep in mind, only the tele part is invulnerable. It's cancelable, but you still have to wait for the startup frames of the move that you're cancelling it with. Herein lies the problem as i see it.

Ok, so you're getting down-poked by a player who is reading your regular teles. You en tele, and you'll appear behind the opponent, go through their ducking poke (since you're invulnerable), then very quickly end up in front of your opponent, just in time to get hit by his next ducking poke. You could have tried en tele, then a f2-4, or a b3 starter, but those moves are too slow to come out. God forbid you get a Kitana with d2, that owns raiden's every tele as far as I can see.

You see the problem? you can en tele, but you're still at the mercy of the active frames of the move that you canceled it with. And to en tele and block is just plain useless, you could of just regular tele'd and blocked. The mind game difference there is minimal. Certainly not worth a bar of meter.

There has to be a better use for this move, but so far, I haven't found it.

Got about 3 hours of play time comin up, and I'm gonna spam en tele and see what comes up.

See my previous post. Don't overuse either of them. Move around the screen like a normal character: walking, dashing, jumping, etc. Use the teleport as a weapon, not as transportation, and lots of options open up.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
It's cancelable, but you still have to wait for the startup frames of the move that you're cancelling it with.
It's cancelable... with anything. You can jump cancel it as well, which will more than likely get you around down pokes. Think bigger than just string canceling; Raiden isn't about launcher hunting.

It's cancelable... with anything. You can jump cancel it as well, which will more than likely get you around down pokes. Think bigger than just string canceling; Raiden isn't about launcher hunting.
Jumping is even worse. It takes a few frames to get into the air, and during a jump, you'll most likely get hit on the way up or the way down with a footsie.

Also, I'm not string cancelling...not sure what you mean there. To string cancel using an eh tele on a block string would be foolish, as the move comes out so fast, your opponent would most likely be still blocking (maybe cancel into a throw? not worth the meter anyways). And if he didn't block, you can't use the en tele in a combo, so you're better off with your bnb of choice.

Also, it's harder to hit a down poking opponent after you jump (on your way down) because their hit box is lowered. Forget a punch into a bnb....Unless you use a kick on the way down, which can be 2in1's into a superman, but........that's a lot of stuff that has to happen perfectly, so it's an unlikely scenario. And not worth the risk of a bar imo.

Sweet feedback, I love it. We'll find a use for this move yet!

Also, any vids or specific situations that validate this move are most welcome. We've only got theories thus far.

Gonna spam it 'till I understand it. lol.

Played some matches and did some fooling around with ex teleport tonight, and it reaffirmed what I said earlier. It's best used as a mixup to cover the weaknesses of regular teleport. For example, when your opponent is trying to be cautious and punish regular teleport, an ex will cause them to jump the gun and start attacking the wrong way. I also found that when my opponent decided to try to apply pressure, I could ex tele and he would stop his string thinking it was regular tele, giving me a chance to take advantage of the ability to attack quickly out of it while his whiffed attack recovered.

I also found that it was nice when you read certain moves, such as from a distance or on wakeup. I found that I could really screw up my opponent's wakeup by using ex tele in the window for his wakeup inputs. Several times this resulted in him trying to do a wakeup and it coming out the wrong direction or not at all.

And finally, ex tele seems to be a really good counter to fast, forward-moving specials (elbow dash, nomad dash, slides, etc.). If you read (or even see, from the right distance) one of those specials coming, the first teleport of the ex tele will take you out of the way of the attack and they will go on across the screen, but the second one will take you back right in front of them AS THE MOVE STOPS, meaning you're completely free to punish. I'm speculating here, but I think this could really help Raiden's matchups with Reptile and Kabal, especially.

Needs more testing, though. All are just my preliminary assessments.

nope, in fact, any sort of d3, d4, whatever quick move is the exact counter to the en tele. Keep in mind, only the tele part is invulnerable. It's cancelable, but you still have to wait for the startup frames of the move that you're cancelling it with. Herein lies the problem as i see it.

Ok, so you're getting down-poked by a player who is reading your regular teles. You en tele, and you'll appear behind the opponent, go through their ducking poke (since you're invulnerable), then very quickly end up in front of your opponent, just in time to get hit by his next ducking poke. You could have tried en tele, then a f2-4, or a b3 starter, but those moves are too slow to come out. God forbid you get a Kitana with d2, that owns raiden's every tele as far as I can see.

You see the problem? you can en tele, but you're still at the mercy of the active frames of the move that you canceled it with. And to en tele and block is just plain useless, you could of just regular tele'd and blocked. The mind game difference there is minimal. Certainly not worth a bar of meter.

There has to be a better use for this move, but so far, I haven't found it.

Got about 3 hours of play time comin up, and I'm gonna spam en tele and see what comes up.
If you can't land any of his slow launchers then why not try either using 1,2,1df2. Seems like its twice as fast and would be easily cancelable out of ex-tele right? I don't have the patch so I can't test this or anything. Also, if you are gettting down poked consistently and you know its coming then a superman might be fast enough after the ex-tele to hit them.

Also, if you are gettting down poked consistently and you know its coming then a superman might be fast enough after the ex-tele to hit them.
You'd think, but the sad truth is that downpoking lowers the hitbox of too many characters, and your superman (even en superman) will almost always wiff and go sailing over their heads :(

I'll try the 121shock, that seems viable.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
You'd think, but the sad truth is that downpoking lowers the hitbox of too many characters, and your superman (even en superman) will almost always wiff and go sailing over their heads :(

I'll try the 121shock, that seems viable.
Even if Superman wiffs they can't punish it because Raiden will be too far away from them. So it's (mostly) safe to try it anyway (a fast special might be able to catch Raiden, not sure).

Even if Superman wiffs they can't punish it because Raiden will be too far away from them. So it's (mostly) safe to try it anyway (a fast special might be able to catch Raiden, not sure).
The recovery on a wiffed superman is brutal, and can usually be punished even from across the screen, Jax, Johnny Cage, another Raiden, teleport characters. You might get away, but it's a long way from safe. Particularly when they see it comin.

Not to mention Superman up close has start up frames, you can be lowpoked out of it, even the en superman has startup frames before the armor kicks in, which is why Superman is never a really good option up close. You'll even get the beginning of that trademark "superman sound" before they lowpoke you right out of it before the active frames. It makes me wanna cry. But superman would be OP if it activated right away, it's not meant to be used at point blank range.

Good thought, though.