What's new

Energy Overdrive (F2, 2rapidly) why is this move designed like this?

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Thread is pretty self explanatory. This normal has a very weird input that is not seen on any other characters in the game. The move is good but I don't see why it warrants a special input. What is the idea behind this design/input?

freerf245

11 11 11 11
In MKX she had a really strong mid called "Stanky Leg" and it had a similar input (4U4) but WAYYYY harder. I could spend hours in practice and still couldn't consistently pull off that move. Pretty sure the uppercut in this game is an homage to that move.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
In MKX she had a really strong mid called "Stanky Leg" and it had a similar input (4U4) but WAYYYY harder. I could spend hours in practice and still couldn't consistently pull off that move. Pretty sure the uppercut in this game is an homage to that move.
I know about that, but the question I mean to ask is why would a dev. design this move with this type of input?

Blakexton

Shinnuk
I can hit this in practice everytime. I can hit 3 in a row quite consistently but as soon as I'm in a real match it feels so incredibly difficult to do, especially online. I have to completely change the way I hold the controller.

Saying this, if I try to do the input after a crushing blow it's considerably easier.

Wigy

There it is...
It's not that hard I use it for setting the gravity up for f44 crushing blow after 33 cb and read antiairs.

Both of these situations you can prepare yourself sorta. 9/10 times in game for those. Wouldnt ever use in the neutral on reaction though. It's unsafe as shit

Sonya also has a move like this. I couldn't hit it once in Practice mode despite dozens of tries, so I decided to ignore it.

There was a whole big deal made earlier about how the set up of the game would be based more on knowing what to do when as opposed to on having the precise execution to do weird button inputs, but then there's a couple of moves like this which are just weird button inputs.

Because they want some "execution barriers". Honestly I always said this kind of shit needs to be removed from the game. Fortunately is not as stupid as mkx stanky leg (which even one of the developer said he needed like 50 tries to perform it once).

Same shit applies to some strings that for some reason require super fast inputs.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Because they want some "execution barriers". Honestly I always said this kind of shit needs to be removed from the game. Fortunately is not as stupid as mkx stanky leg (which even one of the developer said he needed like 50 tries to perform it once).

Same shit applies to some strings that for some reason require super fast inputs.
That's more the point I'm making, why have an execution barrier just for the sake of having it? If it was like some godly move or an option for more damage I'd understand, but this is supposed to be something the character routinely does and it's got no special properties.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I find it pretty simple to input actually. I just input it as F22.

If you want to make it easier you can change your controls settings and change Input Window Timing to Long . This will provide a longer period for you to input the F22 than normal, which inherently makes the ability easier to use.

In comparison to stanky leg its night-and-day easier, but considering with practice I found it pretty simple and reliable to get consistent Stanky Legs working on MKX, I don't think F22 is that big of an issue.

Just gotta put in that time in the lab.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I wouldn't really call this an execution barrier. You just double-tap the button quickly. You can just hold forward and mash it out.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
They said on stream that it was to make players that liked her hard inputs in mkx happy.