What's new

Match Footage - Hat Trick Eddy Wang vs Ivo (Shotgun Jacqui) - Re-exploring the variation...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Decided to give another go and implement more and more some of the setups i've been working on since before the XL update, Mcfly also brought some of these setups to public audience recently.

Ivo is just new in the MK world and he is not a big fan of 2D fighting games, but i need to get him ready for the upcoming tournament. I will be sharing more of these in the next week as i practice for the tournament myself with far more advanced people, i have some things in mind for those who exploit the current hat trick's weakness, but i need to make these new setups work more in ac.

Except of course for the juggle conversion which is of course still pretty bad for the variation due its randomness.

@Youphemism
@just_2swift
@God Confirm
@Tweedy
@aldazo
@[ROG] Moon Spell
@ETC Mcfly
@The Big Pampering
@ThePantyChrist

@everyotherHatTrickMainiForgot

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
The @ tag didn't work, I just came and saw the post right now, on my way to work. I'll have a closer look today.

Saltea Moonspell

One thing that is noticeable at once is that your sparing partner has to much of respect for your hats. Throwing hat out, calling back and fallowing with strings. Thats luxury I dont have anymore playing among my buddies.

While I play I try to keep my prey in the dark corner. Thats when I am not shy to play. I will write up some more later on.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
One thing that is noticeable at once is that your sparing partner has to much of respect for your hats. Throwing hat out, calling back and fallowing with strings. Thats luxury I dont have anymore playing among my buddies.

While I play I try to keep my prey in the dark corner. Thats when I am not shy to play. I will write up some more later on.
Ivo is just new in the MK world and he is not a big fan of 2D fighting games, but i need to get him ready for the upcoming tournament. I will be sharing more of these in the next week as i practice for the tournament myself with far more advanced people,
The match you should check is more against Smith who is used to fight against Hat Trick.

btw, you should upload your matches.

Saltea Moonspell

About that! I have totally forgot that part about this dude - sorry, I Am watching this at work, checking the forum and doing some work stuff.

I will see if I have something saved worthy sharing. On Thursday I am planing on setting up a station at work after hours so I may get some matches with my buddy. I will look into those smith fights You talk about.

Saltea Moonspell

I've Sean Your set with Smith was in Tempest vs HT. I am trying to summarize and squeeze something out. . .

I think in overall You ARE quite good Hattrick operator. There are those reverse Hats n teeleports 2 fellow ups That I don't use almost at all. As I mentioned before the teleport gimmick is high risk low reward as hitting KL out of teleport is child's play. The block pressure string with horizontal ex hat toss is garbage - I get fucked whenever I forget my self and I go for it. If I wanna be completely honest with You I had this feeling like you were rusty, or at least a little bit. One more thing, the armor breaking with horizontal ex hat is a good tool I have not learned yet at all. Smith seems like his been with Tempest in bed since not long ago as well.

emerc

Noob
Some cool stuff here!

On the topic of tournament prep, there were a few bad habits that stood out to me about your play (even though these are just casuals). Jumping yourself into the corner over and over, and not going for 44 after ex straight hat, but instead going for tele-grab (which is less damage) or tele-overhead (mad unsafe)

Time stamp for ref: 7:30

Also, why do you do throw the low backward trap on knockdown in the corner? Having a hard time seeing what it covers.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Some cool stuff here!

On the topic of tournament prep, there were a few bad habits that stood out to me about your play (even though these are just casuals). Jumping yourself into the corner over and over, and not going for 44 after ex straight hat, but instead going for tele-grab (which is less damage) or tele-overhead (mad unsafe)

Time stamp for ref: 7:30

Also, why do you do throw the low backward trap on knockdown in the corner? Having a hard time seeing what it covers.
Yeah, when i place a trap away from my opponent and have no enough meter, the goal is force them to block in order to build it more quickly, its not exactly a mixup attempt to open someone up, the variation needs constantly of it to maintain a certain rate of pressure with ex call backs, that is why you see me jumping over in the corner most of the time, so i can put them in between KL and the hat to get the guaranteed chip as a whole.

Those are also riskier and if they decide to punish me for it they can do it either if they think its a jump into call back or just a jump 2 to force a stand block, the thing is, if i can read it, i should also be able to punish them for it, problem is, the variation only combos in two conditions:
1. Hat needs to be in the head, which allows for any type of punishing
2. Hatless Kung Lao can only do good damaging combos when the opponent is in between him and the hat.

About the combo intentional dropping, those are just testings, i was trying a few new stuffs out with those resets, to see how people respond to those, that grab was definitely miss calculated, needed one more bar to get the ex grab, and the blocked overhead is definitely the draw back of that decision.

As i said before, i'm re-exploring it, i like the away hat trap concept a lot, a good ex TP~MB throw into a combo from the oposite hat can be 43% which is pretty good, sadly indeed those aren't options to go as much on a match since they're just gimmicks and would definitely be real tech if he could have these type of threats of comboing even with hat away or above, those new experiences you can see them summarized here:

The fruits of your hat trick guide can be seen in these 2 videos, be wary tho, these past versions are pre- XL and even then he was still better than the actual version now, since he was also affected by general gameplay issues, general changes and so on and nothing to compensate, still like him regardless:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've Sean Your set with Smith was in Tempest vs HT. I am trying to summarize and squeeze something out. . .

I think in overall You ARE quite good Hattrick operator. There are those reverse Hats n teeleports 2 fellow ups That I don't use almost at all. As I mentioned before the teleport gimmick is high risk low reward as hitting KL out of teleport is child's play. The block pressure string with horizontal ex hat toss is garbage - I get fucked whenever I forget my self and I go for it. If I wanna be completely honest with You I had this feeling like you were rusty, or at least a little bit. One more thing, the armor breaking with horizontal ex hat is a good tool I have not learned yet at all. Smith seems like his been with Tempest in bed since not long ago as well.
Of course i'm rusty, i play mostly scorpion today, far more than i play Hat Trick, the most important things with KL especially hat trick that needs dominance is your ability to perform 11212 strings with little to no drop factor, and landing 21 knockdown enders. That makes his game play smoothly

The rest is manageable, i know that hatarang is garbage, it used to be better, i know tp is garbage. The real question is, do you think any Hat Trick should regret every single decision he makes and get hit by its opponent accordingly every single time?

A character can be ass for sure, characters doesn't do everything for you, if i choose to hit people out with hatarang out of a pressure and it hits them its because at that point i know people are itchy to mash out of a hat trap, and so on.

But you're right, in fact we all always were, this character needs the Ronin treatment, he needs his tools to work properly, needs to have real reason for existence of the other traps, needs a major overhaul on his core variation play, and i would be even more glad if Dr. Emerc could give another combat klass with the buffed variation.