What's new

ECT5 - Injustice & Mortal Kombat Photography by Robert Paul

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Local photographer, Robert Paul was at East Coast Throwdown 5 this past weekend and on day 3 he did us a favor. He captured several shots of the Injustice: GAU and Mortal Kombat events that took place including an exhibition match between Russian player, TANKUGIN vs REO. Check out the awesome photography of Robert's a friends of ours in the high definition spot-light.
tomect.jpg

robertect.jpg

robertect1.jpg

View them all, here: http://robertpaul.smugmug.com/Esports/East-Coast-Throwdown-5/Injustice/29564941_dKrqPt#!i=2526989920&k=RhkdRRv

Source: RobertPaul.smugmug.com

Attachments

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This guy's work is outstanding.

Some of my favorite moments:

(Astro, what is wrong with you bro :p)

Soon.

You don't mess with Yipes.. Even when he's not playing -- he is watching.

Self-explanatory swag.

Oh you.. Stahp it you. Stahp.

JLG

Noob
Very nice set of photos. #24 (of 89), the shot of the entire room stands out to me, maybe because of the grand scope (it gives a feeling of what it might've been like to be there). #68: fantastic. Right place at the right time or good awareness and instincts?

I'm a little surprised 6400 ISO was used. Mark II must be doing its magic without the graininess.

Rob here ... thanks for all the love. I do wish I had gotten more/better shots of the Injustice corner, but it's tough to be everywhere at once.

This guy's work is outstanding.
Thank you!

Right place at the right time or good awareness and instincts?
Yes. :D A lot of the magic of getting reaction shots is just planting yourself somewhere with a good angle, and hoping something happens. But knowing how read the crowd before the madness starts is key!

I'm a little surprised 6400 ISO was used. Mark II must be doing its magic without the graininess.
At 100% they're noticeably noisy, but even printed 11x14 they would probably look OK. In general I don't worry to much about noise, especially when they're going to wind up on the web at a few hundred pixels wide. So I just go straight for 6400 ... let's me stop aperture down a little and keep shutter speed high.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
delirium -- What's your setup, and what do you do (aside from the framing/composition) to capture photos that look so great? These are some of the best pics of an FGC event I've seen.

delirium -- What's your setup, and what do you do (aside from the framing/composition) to capture photos that look so great? These are some of the best pics of an FGC event I've seen.
My setup for ECT was a 5D mark II + 16-35 f/2.8 + flash, and a 5D "Classic" + 85mm f/1.8 + flash.

Biggest thing I do that I've never seen anyone else do is bounce flash, and that's really what gives these shots their "look." Photography is all about light, but lighting in these kinds of venues tends to suck ... mixed fluorescent/incandescent, lots of lights turned off so people can see the projector, etc... So by throwing flash into the mix you actually have some dynamic light instead of the flat, dim light you get from ceiling lighting. And it allows my shots to look more consistent as I move around the venue.

When I started doing gaming events I shied away from flash, afraid that it might distract or bother someone ... not something you want to do when money is on the line. But I've shot at least 4 or 5 events with it and I've had zero complaints (besides some bratty kid at a Halo LAN). So I let it rock.

I also ruthlessly cull my photos. I see so many event galleries that are 800 photos ... 600 of which aren't that interesting. I took WAY more than the ~200 photos I published... but by only showing the most interesting photos you have a gallery of shots that people actually *want* to look through, in its entirety. And that goes for any kind of photography ... even National Geographic photographers will shoot 10,000 shots for the 5 that get run in the mag.

JLG

Noob
I see so many event galleries that are 800 photos ... 600 of which aren't that interesting. I took WAY more than the ~200 photos I published... but by only showing the most interesting photos you have a gallery of shots that people actually *want* to look through, in its entirety. And that goes for any kind of photography ... even National Geographic photographers will shoot 10,000 shots for the 5 that get run in the mag.
Yes! This is so true, and I think only photographers know it. Others see like a handful of great shots and say, "Is that all? You were there the whole day and only got five cool shots?" Sometimes you shoot and shoot, and only one shot might really be impressive. So much work goes into it, plus you have to be on point (i.e. aware and quick) to spot the opportunities.

Great job, Rob!

BTW, I didn't think 16 mm would get you that really nice wide view of the crowds, but the Mark II is full frame, right? I don't have the money for that :(

BTW, I didn't think 16 mm would get you that really nice wide view of the crowds, but the Mark II is full frame, right? I don't have the money for that :(
Yeah, 16 is pretty freakin' wide on FF. Took some getting used to.

5D Classics can be had for pretty cheap ($400-500) ... there are some caveats (max 1600 ISO, no video, etc...) but they're still probably the best value for the dollar out there.

Reactions: JLG

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Biggest thing I do that I've never seen anyone else do is bounce flash, and that's really what gives these shots their "look." Photography is all about light, but lighting in these kinds of venues tends to suck ... mixed fluorescent/incandescent, lots of lights turned off so people can see the projector, etc... So by throwing flash into the mix you actually have some dynamic light instead of the flat, dim light you get from ceiling lighting. And it allows my shots to look more consistent as I move around the venue.
It's funny -- as soon as you mention it, looking back through the photos I can see it now. Appreciate all of the info; seeing these really makes me want to get into photography.

We'll definitely be having Rob back at ECT6 and we're trying to work out arrangements for TFC. I was really worried using the flourescent lights in the venue as I wasn't sure if it would affect the photography and videography, but both Rob and Esteban's end product came out amazing. Rob really captured the overall feeling of the event and we're really glad he reached out to us.