What's new

Early Tanya Guide

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This guide is meant to get you started with Tanya.

1st, be sure to check out Dragon's sets in Slayers tournaments to see some great examples of high-level Tanya in action:

Part One: Normals

Tanya's most important buttons are 3 (high), f2 (mid), and b3 (low). b2 makes a nice anti-air on hard read, but its 15-frame startup makes it tough to use on reaction. f4 is a nice, safe (-2) launcher, but it's a 16-frame high, limiting its usefulness in the neutral.

Her f2 stagger game is substantial. f2 and f22 are both +14 on hit and only -5 on block. She can end in a safe -6 overhead with f2112.

Her b3 is also a decent stagger at -4 on block and +11 on hit. b344 is only -6 on block.

Standing 3 has insane range but is a high that's -14 on block. However, it is special cancelable, making it a decent way to check opponents, since they have to respect any potential followup.

2(1+3) is her primary punish string. 9 frame startup with decent range. Just remember that, due to the side switch, you need to reverse any back-forward inputs to cancel into her specials.

Part 2: Specials

Heavenly Hand: This is her projectile. The startup is rather slow at 25 frames and it only does 6%. Not great, but it at least gives her a full-screen presence. The Amplified version is much better, as it becomes a 9% mid that absorbs enemy projectiles, allowing her to effectively counterzone.

Air Heavenly Hand: The steep angle of this special makes it a little difficult to use effectively, but it's very safe. The amped version still eats projectiles and causes a crumple status, allowing you to kombo your opponent.

Seeking Guidance: You can either use this special multiple times to build it up, or just hold down the button for a sec to fully charge it. Once charged, Tanya can dash-cancel her attacks to gain significant range. The amplified version seems to only speed up the rate of charge, so it's probably a waste of meter.

If you use Seeking Guidance while you are fully charged, you will shoot up and forward, allowing you start aerial pressure as if you were jumping in. However, this seems to have no other benefit, such as projectile immunity, so it's just a nice way to start her pressure without relying on her floaty jump.

Divine Protection is her parry. You can extend the parry by holding 3. It's a little awkward, as if you just do the special as is, it will absorb the first attack but doesn't seem to give you any significant advantage. However, if you hold back while holding 3, the she will actually parry attacks with a 9% mid. If, instead, you hold forward, she will parry the attack and then go into her Seeking Guidance aerial attack. This seems to be an excellent way to blow up wakeups.

Drill Kick is her primary kombo tool and is also used to end her kombos. Certain assists (like Goro) allow her to meterless convert into a full kombo. Ending kombos with 2(1+3)~Drill Kick leaves you in a very advantageous oki situation. The enhanced version pops up for a kombo.

Spinning Drill Kicks: This is the special that makes Tanya worth playing, in my opinion. A full-screen, mid-hitting, multi-hitting special, the amplified version has armor. With the right kameo (Goro...), she can convert this into a full kombo. It can be used in the air as well, giving her substantial mobility, though though characters will be able to punish her for doing this.

Part 3: Goro [edit: or KANO!!!]

I would call this part "Kameos" but honestly, Goro just does way too much for her to consider anyone else. There are 3 major reasons to use Goro:
  1. Safety: Tanya's specials are very unsafe, so dropping Goro at the end can keep you safe or even plus.
  2. Meterless Conversions. Goro allows Tanya to convert meterlessly off her Drill Kicks. He also allows her to covert off her Spinning Drill Kicks. This allows her to get full-kombo conversions off her armor. He also allows her to meterless convert off her b344 string.
  3. 50/50 Tick Throw: I'm sure this is fuzzyable, but Goro's back-special turns her b3 into a great mix option. The Goro special will launch for a full kombo, and it will connect whether the b3 hits or not, as long as the opponent remains blocking low. Since b344 all hits low, this creates the guessing game.
After playing with Kano kameo form a bit, I believe he might be the better options. He still gets you the safety and meterless conversions, but he recharges almost twice as quickly as Goro (12 seconds, as opposed to 20). The recharge speed really makes an enormous difference.

Part 4: Strategies

As long as you have meter, your opponent has to respect your armor. You can wakeup armor into full conversion. You can armor after any of her -5 and -6 blockstrings. This means, as long as you have meter, it is never really the opponent's turn.

Since Spinning Drill Kicks goes full-screen and hits mid, this allows you to blow through projectiles and basically just screw the neutral game. On block, you can call Goro to keep yourself safe or even plus. The full string into Goro does about 7% chip and leaves you up to +3 if timed correctly. In training, if you get more than +3, odds are the opponent can crouch. Set opponent to crouch and Block All to practice the timing.

Ending your kombos with 2(1+3)~bf4 leaves you within jump range at significant advantage. You have enough time to dash into a meaty f2 or b3, or can check with standing 3.

Calling neutral or down-Goro after f211 on block leaves you around +17 when timed correctly. For b344, you want to use down-Goro and you'll be around +11.

For Kombos, be sure to check out her Kombo Section.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Great writeup, I think I'll do one for Sindel in a few days as well. One question after reading, for the Goro section.

What is an example of using a Tanya string into an unsafe normal ender/special, but using Goro to end safe/plus/continue pressure? And do opponents have counter options to that like poking through a gap, armor, etc?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Great writeup, I think I'll do one for Sindel in a few days as well. One question after reading, for the Goro section.

What is an example of using a Tanya string into an unsafe normal ender/special, but using Goro to end safe/plus/continue pressure? And do opponents have counter options to that like poking through a gap, armor, etc?
For example, I drive my opponents insane by almost always waking up with her armored db4. If it hits, I can call Goro foll a conversion. If it's blocked, I can call Goro to remain plus. With correct timing, there is no counterplay that I know of.

Though not unsafe, her f211 and b344 are -5 and -6, respectively. However, with correct timing, you can jail into Goro and remain massively plus; enough to jail into her standing 1 or standing 2.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
For example, I drive my opponents insane by almost always waking up with her armored db4. If it hits, I can call Goro foll a conversion. If it's blocked, I can call Goro to remain plus. With correct timing, there is no counterplay that I know of.

Though not unsafe, her f211 and b344 are -5 and -6, respectively. However, with correct timing, you can jail into Goro and remain massively plus; enough to jail into her standing 1 or standing 2.
Noiceee, I'll have to lab some of this tonight in preparation of running into it sooner than later. :eek:

EDIT: Re-reading that sounds hella scary lol.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
She's very meter and kameo hungry, but she's also great at slowing down the pace of a match and has ways to build meter full screen relative safely.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
She is massively fun to play!!! I wish she had synergy with Sektor though :(

i have to say though I have NEVER used the parry, will try to use to counter wakeups as suggested lol

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
She is massively fun to play!!! I wish she had synergy with Sektor though :(

i have to say though I have NEVER used the parry, will try to use to counter wakeups as suggested lol
I was using Parry against Reiko's wakeup's to meterless punish them. Forward-parrying the wakeup causes you to jump and you're able to hit with air-1 into a string before they recover. Some wakeups move too far to punish, but against these you can just use the back-parry to deal 9%.

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
There was a patch today and I could swear her f2 was 13f startup yesterday. Today its 14f. Did they stealth nerf it or am I imagining things?